Roon UI is not good enough for $150 per year

Why stick with it, of so many problems could have canceled within first month and get a refund.

Did I? Maybe you should read my posts a little better and try again… :roll_eyes:

Seems they can’t read…I already had it for a year, I didn’t renew my sub because I wasn’t happy… If Roon offered monthly subs (10/month cancel anytime) then I’d give it try for another month, see if it’s any better.

I’m quite happy with Foobar2000 for Flacs/Radio, and Tidal Desktop for Tidal. Only thing Foobar is missing is metadata like Roon’s… Roon is quite handy for exploring related albums/artists etc via their excellent metadata.

The integration with local and streaming media is also very useful. I’m a playlist and shuffle listener mostly and having all of that to play together is a great treat. I think many agree that the UI needs some attention but let’s also remember that some of the core features work well.

FWIW I haven’t had the stutter problem you have with Tidal via Roon. It sounds like network congestion to me, or even a momentary resource issue in the core machine. I’m not discounting that you had them, but that is not a common complaint AFAIK. Means you may have some troubleshooting yourself to solve that problem.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Why was post hidden?

I was replying to this post where it sounds like you have not.

If this is what you feel about Roon, then don’t use it, and use another product, simple.

I did NOT state or assume that the OP could not afford it, The OP has been constantly whinging that the cost is too much and that he wants a monthly subscription, the inference being that the does not want to afford it.

Don’t attribute words or interpretations to my post that are not there.

1 Like

@Edmund_Comber

This is the solution!

If someone thinks that Accuphase as an example offers too little for the price, then he should not buy it, but buy something else that meets his needs - whether more expensive or cheaper.

Something else is to say that this or that could be improved, in the case of Roon for example, the GUI or what additional features you want. Whether the wishes come true, we will then see. I assume that the Roon developers are thinking about the wishes of the users.

I’ve been using RoonRock for a week now and certainly haven’t found and understood all the features yet.

What I would wish for would be a manual in PDF format describing all functions.

Many greetings
Dieter

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

The pause problem sounds awful. I’d $#@$^&#%$ up a storm if I had it. I think the issue is Tidal’s servers (or lack there of) in your neck of the woods.

Could be your ISP’s connection to you. Given the relatively low D/l speed, are you perhaps on DSL or satellite? Have you tried taking a look at your bandwidth and throughput when you get drops?

Also, have you tried cranking up the buffer to your DAC?

I can actually stream MQA Tidal through Roon from my home network via VPN to mobile devices no issues unless I lose mobile connectivity(Go into a tunnel or drive pass the local sports stadium on game night lol).

1 Like

Would 30 days have really made any difference to how much evaluation you could do ?

So you did what I did the One Year paid Trial :heart_eyes:

Good album Deja Vu :sunglasses:

Yes. i am not complaining. Just commenting on some hilarious statements that the software can be evaluated in 10 minutes.

But the [Moderated] censors have deleted that.

I recently signed up to Roon lifetime and I have to say that I am struggling to understand why their are a few discontent with the program.

I have Plex and Roon and I believe Roon wins hands down. The information provided about the artists and similar artist in itself is worth the $120USD per year.

Other pluses is Roon Radio and the ability to connect both Tidal and Qobuz streaming to the app. Plex only allows Tidal which is a little restrictive.

The sound quality in my opinion sounds a little crisper than Plex.

With regards to the buffering of Tidal through Roon, I can’t say I have ever experienced.

The user interface is simple which I like. It was not a huge learning curve which is great for those less computer literate.

I for one am extremely happy with Roon. In time I think it will only get better and I thank the Roon devs for such a great platform to play my music.

5 Likes

Crickets.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Roon needs a better Wiki

What Roon does is unique, there is nothing that provides the audio quality, enhanced metadata and seamless integration of local and streamed content, available ready to go with such a wide range of high end audio products. That’s why I use it every day and have a life subscription. I am a massive Roon fan.

The user interface, though, is awful. The workflows are illogical, with functions bolted on in odd places as an afterthought, it breaks on standard equipment with erroneous error messages when the platform settings aren’t quite what it expects (we do use our IT stuff for other software, it shouldn’t be so picky) and I agree most of the stuff in the OP’s post. The response that the devs “simply don’t share your views about problems and priorities regarding the current UI” is utterly inappropriate, there are standards within every environment that all software should comply with and Roon doesn’t. Products should align to customers’ expectations, not what the tech team thinks is important. Leave it to technical staff and you will always get “interesting” functionality prioritised over user experience.

For software products to meet user expectations, there must be formal user acceptance testing, which use scenarios (“use cases”) that anticipate and test against prescribed workflows. It’s obvious that this isn’t a part of the Roon development process. It’s sheer arrogance on the part of any software developer to think that their products can be released without it.

My credentials? 35 years in commercial software development, including heading up the test practice in a £500million turnover company.

21 Likes

Awesome post @Nick_Cassidy - everything in a nutshell :clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

Agreed, if we’re talking about the implementation of a business process in a company. But we’re not. And we have a wide range of user expectations in the approaching 100,000 users of Roon, with a wide range of perceived workflows.

BTW, I don’t mean to imply that Roon Labs don’t use use case testing in their development process, I don’t know, not being an employee. They do apparently have a group of beta testers who presumably kick the tyres on any new releases and presumably give feedback.

3 Likes

One of the problems I have with ball-part complaints about Roon’s UI - for example your assertion that the UI is “awful” - is the perceived assumption that everyone who uses Roon feels (or should feel) the same way.

There are quite a few people on this forum who regularly criticize or even lambast Roon, but in the context of Roon’s users these posts constitute a tiny percentage of the overall Roon base. Many people also post to the effect that the Roon UI works extremely well for them, and I suspect (just conjecture on my part - I have no proof) that the silent majority who do not participate in this forum, but who have voted with their money and subscriptions feel the same as I do. It would be interesting to see stats outlining the percentage of users who run Roon for a year and then jump ship. I suspect it’s not a huge number in percentage terms.

One of the comments that a number of people make is that the Roon UI is old fashioned, and does not sit well with a so called ‘modern’ UI such as that employed by Apple. I for one find some modern interfaces to be illogical and irritating. Will Apple listen and react to my complaint? Certainly not! They have a huge user base and have no interest in addressing individual complaints. Roon is a mirror of this on a hugely smaller scale. They have a user base which is perfectly happy with the product. Why should they make wholesale changes at the request of a few vocal individuals, when the very changes that are requested may very well be anathema to the existing contented user base?

6 Likes