Roon unable to audio files from itunes [Answered - Format not supported]

Roon Core Machine

MacOS Catalina 10.15.7, MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), 2.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5,8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

MacOS BigSur version 11.5.2, MacBook Pro (13inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)
2.4GHz Quad core i5, 8GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Networking Gear & Setup Details

tplink router, wifi

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

i have configured itunes recently, Roon was used for streaming into Linn Klimax DSM. i also have files stored in Netgear NV+, which i don’t have issues with in Roon, nor streaming Tidal content. I am new to itunes, so i downloaded one of the albums locally to my macpro, Roon storage → Music Folder is configured to monitor the itunes folder /Macintosh HD/Users/<*****>/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media

both laptops have the same issue, unable to read the downloaded itunes content

own content is recognized by Roon. Playlists from Apple Music can also be transferred with additional tools.

Example:

Hello @roshan_dsouza,

Thanks for letting us know of this. We’re sorry about the trouble.

What’s the file format of your iTunes library? :nerd_face:

Hi Rebeka,

i have downloded a single file from Greta Van Fleet latest album. here is the file name with extension 01 Heat Above.movpkg

Kind Regards,
Roshan

Hey @roshan_dsouza,

That seems to explain it… :sweat:

The file formats supported by Roon are listed in this Help Center article.. Unfortunately, .movpkg is not among them. If you’d like to listen to this music via Roon, converting it to a supported file type would be necessary.

Thanks Rebeka, any idea how i can change the format to ALAC. i tried changing the setting lossless setting in apple music app to alac instead of HiRes but i found it still saves it a .movpkg :frowning:

This is certainly related to Apple’s rights management. They want to capture you there with new formats. Free yourself with another provider :wink:

Thanks Uwe, i was curious about Apple iTunes. I have never used iTunes service before. Looks like i am going back to Tidal :slight_smile:

1 Like