ROON unstable on Mac MIni

Mac Mini Mid 2010 (OS High Sierra//1.7)

Mac ini mid 2010, OS. High ASierra

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Apple router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Devialet 440 PRO via wifi

Description Of Issue

Connection on and off for core. Tried rebooting everything several times, and tried downloading and reinstalling the core sw on the mac mini. Everythig was stabile until yesterday. Playing vinyl on the Devialet still works fine.

When did you update to 1.7? A 2010mac is woefully under minimum spec fyi

Updated as soon as it was available. But it has been working flawlessly ever since, until yesterday that is.

Hi @Hallgeir_Holmedal,

As @wizardofoz mentioned it is very possible that your Mac does not meet our Minimum Requirements.

What kind of issues are you seeing specifically? Connection on and off doesn’t tell us much, is it crashing, are you failing to connect?

If you have another Core that meets our minimum requirements, I would suggest trying to host the Roon Core there.

Yes it’s under spec, but has been working flawlessly for over a year. And up until recently, after updating to 1.7.

Connection on/off seems like an accurate description. ROON connects and open for 7-8 seconds, before loosing connection, then repeats after a while.

No I’m afraid not. Not unless I buy a new computer. Is there anything I could try first?

You could try connecting by ethernet instead of wifi.

1 Like

@Hallgeir_Holmedal - What are you connecting to the Core? Is it another Roon Remote (Android/iOS)? Is it another Client running Roon (Windows/MacOS PC)? Connecting via Ethernet is a good idea as well.

If you have backups of your Roon database, you could also try setting aside your old database and starting fresh:

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder

I´m using iphone and mac to control ROON. Same problem on both. Both via WIFI.

Tried renaming Roon db and restarting as you suggested, and while setting this up again I see the core disconneting / connecting. Fans are speeding more than usual too. I think I saw someone else with similar problems. Is it possible to roll back to 1.6 SW version?

A post was split to a new topic: iTunes XML Not Found and TIDAL unstable

@support - please clarify if previous versons will be made available for roll back, or if new revisions of existing SW will fix issues as described above.

Hi @Hallgeir_Holmedal,

Downgrading to older versions of Roon is not supported due to the reasons mentioned in the article, primarily because your database would be incompatible.

You are trying to run Roon on under-spec’d hardware, which can cause issues and are also using Apple router gear which we have seen is problematic in the past, as mentioned in our Networking Best Practices Guide:

Finally, we strongly recommend against using Apple network devices such as the Apple Airport Extreme and Airport Express (note: it’s fine to use the Airport Express as an Airplay device). To ensure the best performance, we recommend against using these devices.

We have hundreds of thousands of users running Roon without issue, so I believe you have an environmental issue that only impacts you here. On a properly spec’d Roon setup, you shouldn’t experience this issue, but you have two pieces of gear here which are problematic - the Core and the router.

I would start off by trying to connect both the Core and the Devialet via Ethernet and seeing if the behavior is the same.

I would also clarify how exactly the connection is turning on/off, are you using any remotes to control the Core and these are losing connection? Is it losing connection to just the Devialet zone and the rest of Roon remains working as expected?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.