Roon users' basic computer literacy

I think I’ll agree to disagree.

2 Likes

I’m a little surprised ROCK is the only distro out there for Roon fanciers. I’d expect someone to carve some of the UI stuff from Bodhi Linux or one of the other distros and say it’s just for installing Roon on.

I’ve been building computers for over 20 years. The first PCs I used had 5 1/4" floppy boot disks and transferred files via Kermit. Before that it was BBC microcomputers running BASIC.

2 Likes

LOL, my first introduction to computer programming used boxes and boxes of punch cards.
We hated it when the kids got into the boxes and a great time “shuffling” the desks of cards… :weary:

Then we graduated to the “tape deck” computer (Radio Shack Trash…er… TRS-80, :slight_smile: ):

So yeah, I have been building and dealing with computers for quite a bit longer than 20 years… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Many happy childhood days spent with our family BBC Micro. A bit of programming, but also a fair amount of time playing Elite. :grinning:

2 Likes

True story - my Dad worked in computers in London in the early 1960s but didn’t see a future in it. He became a librarian instead!

3 Likes

1978 Sheffield Polytechnic
10 print “hello world”

3 Likes

Sinclair ZX81 running basic via cassette tape in 1981-2

then I advanced to the Apple ][ using 2 x 5,25 floppies still on Basic

Then advanced to Apple Pascal

Then I gave up and bought a camera :smiling_imp:, Olympus OM 2 , just as addictive.

It was a while before I returned to PC . The started on MS Access 1.1 then VS 2013 and every version since , I could consider myself literate . Finally did certification MCSD , then retired :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Wow, all these high-tech gadgets.

In 1969, I programmed tic-tac-toe using patchcords on a mad friend’s handbuilt computer that used double-pole double-throw relays for state storage.

In 1971, Towers of Hanoi on a Cardiac (what a pain!).

2 Likes

Hello,
Forgive me for butting in but… you can’t rip with a Nuc/Rock/appliance… to my limited understanding, anyway. I’ve never used one so, maybe I’m full of it. Regardless, that’s why I’ve opted not to.

Yes, you can:

However, there’s a bug with the function affecting some of us. We’re waiting for Roon OS 2.0 to have it fixed…

You can? Interesting. With that bug in mind, I’m still not sure if I’m full of it or not but… if they get that bug fixed maybe I should re-evaluate my take and open up another possibility.
Although, I’m more interested in ripping my vinyl collection.
Thanks,
(I’m definetly full of something).

I think the main point is improved sound quality due to no extra processes running on the computer. And No monitor needed.

There’s no decrease in SQ caused by computer processes that are unrelated to the audio rendering.

I’m not convinced of that. Same as for my dedicated PC in my record studio. I haven’t tried to document or measure the issues myself, but a lot of recording engineers with very good ears note that problem.

I take measurements over ears anytime.

Agree. I’m confident it’s measurable. Just haven’t done it myself.

It’s been measured before, and there were no significant differences.

I think there is more to unpack here than your poll alludes to. Let me try to peel back, way back, where a lot of people are with digital audio.

For those that buy Hifi at a store… You walk in, you tell the nice sales person “I understand I can store my CDs on the network so I can queue them up from my phone tablet?” Yes… options…

• NAIM Unity Core
  • Bluesound Vault
  • something similar…

User experience at home…

1. Take thing out of box.
  2. Plug in analog to pre/integrated.
  3. Plug in power.
  4. Download app / Connect it to network.
  5. Feed it CDs, get feedback on app / screen.
  6. Play CDs from app.

That’s the “appliance”. If the user has connected up any other hifi product to their stereo and has ever connected some other thing to their wireless network then they have the experience needed for this kind of device.

Roon is only halfway there…
If Nucleus is the answer, well, there is no analog out. So now the sales person has to explain what a DAC is. Now, the customer may already have a DAC in their pre/integrated and then its just a sale of a USB or HDMI cable to hook it up. But then there is the ripping function. Is the dealer supposed to stock USB CD readers? Does the customer want some toy looking CD reader in their rack? Probably not. So maybe now we have to ask the customer if they are comfortable ripping from a computer they already have and… down the rabbit hole we go.

• Should everyone understand how to rip CDs? No.
  • Should everyone know what an operating system is? No.

The reason this forum is filled with technical babble by tech people is because we’re the only ones who think this stuff is “easy”. It isn’t!

Roon Nucleus is nowhere near as straightforward as the other devices I mention above. It’s better than sourcing your own hardware and loading Roon yourself but… it can be much better.

As I write this… your poll shows 98% of votes can download / install. But you’re polling the wrong people :wink: when you’re trying to find a reason why Nucleus exists. It’s like asking… Do all the C programmers in the room feel comfortable using gcc?

Also, the Nucleus is a good looking case. Most “left brain people” don’t see any value in something looking good… again… you’re probably not polling enough “right brain people”.*

Anyway, I voted… I used to swap eproms in routers… I’m comfortable downloading and installing things. But, I also see a lot of value in making Roon as easy to get running as possible to increase the user base. I don’t really understand what you have against the Nucleus.

*Yes, I realize the whole right brain / left brain thing isn’t real. Just run with it for now, thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks for unpacking - and for voting.

Um… I don’t know what kind of brain I have, but all I wanted to know was how many people, on this forum, who are either using or planning to use Roon, would be able to skip Nucleus by downloading and installing Roon Core on a generic computer. I already did my best to explain that all else stays the same, so I’ll just count the votes now.