Roon using Google Nest Hub 2 as Display

Hi

So, my new Google Nest Hub 2nd Gen is here. Started, installed all updates and ready.
Used as a Display for Roon…

Do you have any solution so that:

• I don’t have to use the “Screenreader” Modus (Red Box)
  • Deactivate the screensaver modus?

I’ve already read thru everything…but is there a final solution?

Many thanks

Trying to understand where the main problem is.

Is ROON here in charge of adding something so that Google Nest Hub Gen2. works perfectly as a screen

or is it Google which needs to change or add some features to their System/Firmware?

Many thanks

Hi Piero
Not sure where the blame lies, but it has never worked well or reliably without screenreader mode enabled.

I stopped using the max in my living room for Roon as the family hated screenreader mode so it had to be turned off.

There have been a number of threads on this over time but Roon never makes any improvements to it.
I consider it dead technology in my environment from a Room perspective

and whats working? an ipad with safari as browser and stream there?

i think the main issue wouöd ve resolved by google if:

they would remove or add “no screensaver” modus…

or is it better to get a screen with chromecast attached via hdmi?

i’ve had a raspberry pi with touchscreen and roopiee but removed it cause of low resolution and lack of display support on roopiee

On the occasional times I use Roon to display artwork on screen now, I use either an Nvidia Shield through Chromecast or use a Raspberry Pi running RooExtend to display them
Completely gave up on the Nest Hub Max

but you’re showing up the info on an external screen? or on a raspberry pi screen?

i really like to have something small amd with good resolution…

thats how it looks like actually…with google nest hub 2nd gen

1 Like

rooExtend is not needed…i need only something to use as a display…for radio and tracks

I loved the idea of using the Nest screen and for about 10 minutes it works a treat and then disappears and it goes back to photo display.

Chromecast work’s pretty well too and if you have a Samsung TV I understand that the web browser works

i’ve seen different screens and was not sure if google chromecast (stick or whatever) would work.

I dont have a tv at home😀 tv free hahahah my space for the screen is limited (like the nest hub)

I believe Chromecast is the only supported solution. You can use a Chromecast dongle with any devices that supports HDMI so you could even get a small screen.

If you want to use the Nest Hub, then keep Screenreader enabled would be my recommendation

i will contact Roon Support and Google and ask why and how…

Screenreader on yes…but the red line…

2 Likes

Oh yes the red lin :face_with_peeking_eye:

I think in the Tinkering forum there’s a discussion about using Android based picture frame screens as Roon displays. Here’s the link: Photo Frames

yes but where to biy. did not found any frames with android

One of the guys in the threads (who was posting some cool imagery) company makes them from memory

from memory?

As in I can’t remember which thread it was but he was showing off various small wall displays that looked pretty cool. If I was at my computer I could probably find the thread

you mean this one

yes but where to buy

Yes you might just want to contact @Wen and see where they get companies selling them

According to @Wen’s posts, it’s just an Android tablet with unknown specs running the Roon app, isn’t it?

I’m not sure the behaviors and complexity of Android are worth it. RoPieee with the Pi screen is very appliance like once you have it set up. It also has the nice behavior of going to sleep with the zone its attached to is inactive and waking when something is played. My preference would be for something that looks a lot nicer than a Pi in a crummy case, is at least 8" and is higher resolution than the Pi screen, but has the same behaviors as the RoPieee approach.

I haven’t been able to figure that out.

1 Like