Roon v Audirvana

Well, you did ask if your post helped, and I can only speak for myself.

I did, and LMS/Squeezelite are bit-perfect. That’s all that matters. They could be written in FORTRAN for all I care.

I guess that should “prove” that .Net/CLR is better than C++ for music apps.

1 Like

Of course they are! Why do you think they called the language C#?!

3 Likes

What @Marian implies is that as long as it is bit perfect it sounds equal. That makes sense of course. It also reduces the cost of ownership for many audiophiles. USB cables, AES cables, silver connectors, reclockers and what not don’t make any difference anymore. Even my Lumin U1 can go out the door, a simple Raspberry outputs bit perfect as well.

And there’s an interesting comment that encapsulates the state of the world we inhabit; my first car was a Ford Prefect it got me to University and back, it had red leather seats and could keep up with most traffic. Slide through time a little and I now have a Jaguar and a Mercedes, they get me to my youngest son’s University and back and have leather seats and can keep up with all traffic.

All of them will do the same job that I ask of them, so why don’t I still have the Ford Prefect? Time changes, incomes change, tastes change etc.

But maybe most of all perception changes, when I was twenty two all I wanted from my car was that it should start and get me back home, now I want the same but with a V8, for it to be comfortable and for it to virtually drive itself……….and in essence that’s the same for most of our audio gear, irregardless of whether there is a difference in the function or just the form.

AMEN… Now I understand the possible irritation: I forgot to mention my age, which is close to 3 times twenty two… By the way, do you still sometimes wish you were twenty two…?

I agree, audio gear safety features have come a log way too. A lot more people survive hifi accidents now.

4 Likes

Yes, spot on.

My youngest sons (twins) are twenty two tomorrow!

That’s all fine of course, but you are not claiming that a fancy car changes the physical distance between two points.

1 Like

No, I’m more petrol is petrol kind of driver!

1 Like

What is missing regarding live radio in Roon ? I’m guessing live radio is what you are referring to regarding radio ?

Roon’s database of online radio stations is nearly non existent compared to what TuneIn offers on my Marantz. Or what Cambridge offers through their own service on my CXNv2.

2 Likes

All the same in listening more then a year
Mac Mini - DAC - Amplifier (Only different software)
Audirvana - low frequencies match more deeper and the scene is huge VS Roon frequencies and scene
It’s not only Audirvana, it’s about the same other music software vs Roon. No mater what are LF - But the scene is match more interesting in other software

2 Likes

You can ask for what is missing, and it will be added.

Personally I added all radio stations I could find for Norway. This is managed by a selection of Roon users. Other users have added additional local stations (unknown to me).

1 Like

Last time I compared Audirvana with Roon - and that means Audirvana over USB from mac mini (with a USB reclocker in between) to Roon over RAAT, Audirvana sounded better. This was a few years ago, so cannot necessarily argue the same vs current RAAT.

I will say that sound quality over UPnP in my particular setup using dCS Mosaic to play (the same) files served by Minimserver is better than Roon over RAAT.

Louder is a bit odd I will say - are you sure about that?

2 Likes

Miggy I will agree that Audirvana sounds better ……slightly.
But I never volume level matched and I think I was somewhat inebriated at the time I checked .

1 Like

Roon looks a lot better than Audirvana. That’s why it sounds a little better, too… :wink:

6 Likes

That would be a deal breaker for me. Can’t stand spelling and grammatical errors. (Unless it’s due to auto correct of course.)

2 Likes

I can give you one additional advantage of Roon vs Audirvana. I did post messages on both community forums. And I have to recognize that Roon’s users are much more nicer and friendly. If you try to initiate a discussion about Audirvana poor UI or missing stuff, you will be immediately assaulted by some Audirvana fans that didn’t accept any criticism. Of course not all of them.
Music has always pretended to sooth the mind, but it seems working better with Roon :wink:

4 Likes

There are plenty of Roon users who do the same. Glad you haven’t met them yet.

I think it is a great product but like everything it could be better.

5 Likes