Roon v Audirvana

I‘ve expierent it exactly the other way round. I have known Roon users to be arrogant and snobby, who have often lost their grip. The motto is: If Roon is too expensive for you, just buy one less sports car.

But you can discover this impression in both worlds. High end music is just a (very) expensive hobby… and money can have influence on the character…

4 Likes

And I’m glad to share this link with you.

Some french guys that are lookin for old recording that were never published. Quality is amazing, fantastic remastering. Mainly old jazz live event (Dave Brubeck, Sarah Vaughan,…).
Some are available on Qobuz, I also order some vinyls, even Roon is very poor in Vinyl management.

So I need to step back and to accept that everywhere you can find untolerant and selfsatisfied people that are definitively sure they own the truth, and all the other one have only the one choice that is to agree. As said Paul, I didn’t met them before.
But they are still nice people that are happy to share their thoughts and experience, good or bad… Let’s focus on those one.

1 Like

My Google Chrome Cast can do everything that the WiiM can do, only cheaper. So I do not know why people want to buy a WiiM?

Higher resolution I would guess.

24/192 vs 16/44.1 I think. IDK. Maybe it does higher? The price difference is not worth worrying about.

Haha, maybe. No thanks. I will keep my ChromeCast. I am not paying more to get 24 bits instead of 12 bits. Whatever it is.

Looks like Audivarna is now partnering up like Roon with kit.

http://r.news.audirvana.com/mk/mr/dNEH80wrhS5ZVGtIIwfoyYK5edw1k6n6I80ls0qHNmBMcadcAqKB0XOW1e86KSc3ZLZ1g-GsJ6ywp33XN3Xa70nHv1ZB7aLsi1cHwrR2ZCzNAqgzEJUTXi2vSgt_iyVI8XOI

3 Likes

Plāys with Audirvāna”? Eye roll.

1 Like

Well relying on UPnP is always a gamble with 3rd party apps so its not a bad thing to be doing this.

Have been back and forth with AV and Roon trials. AV Studio sounded far better, cancelled Roon trial, AV kept crashing, went back to Roon subscription, upgraded gear (dac, headphones, cables); SQ felt far from what I heard with AV first time around. Started AV again today, and in my back and forth tests, exact same chain and kit, volume levels matched as best I can, no other DSP: AV sounding much better without a doubt (few hours of listening, same tracks, albums). Weird - even with volume lowered below Roon. Truly want to stay with Roon for the usability, arc, metadata - the SQ difference makes it hard.

Is there a way to create a custom convolution filter etc. that will make the sound while playing from Roon match what AV is doing perhaps? (It’s not just the volume, perhaps AV ‘uses’ the ASIO drivers ‘better’?)

(Roon/AV → ASIO Chord Mojo 2 drivers from Windows 11 → Audioquest forest usb-c → Mojo 2 → HF Ananda) (correction: Roon rock on NUC 10 → Roon bridge on Windows 11, vs AV Studio on same Windows 11)

1 Like

The debate is long both apps claim Bit Perfect so given the same kit why I there a difference ? One must not be Bit Perfect ?

For usability Roon wins hands down !

Having used it and moved on, I don’t think that the Roon/Win combination works that well.

Using Roon with an endpoint such as a Pi or an iFi Zen Stream is however, a much better experience.

I just use Windows as a remote now.

Audrvana is much more performand than roon on mac. The mac roon core app is very buggy and not to commend. But audrivana looks a little bit hmmmm :confused:

If you want a music player that looks great and has much info use roon. If you want a music player that plays music very well use audirvana. If you want a third option try volumio on a raspi :sunglasses:

1 Like

They are both verified bit perfect.

I know that so why is there a sq difference or is there ?

Sound difference is just a marketing blib.

I don’t think there is.

1 Like

Expectation bias. Own Audirvana, jriver and room. No sound difference whatsoever.

Audirvana plays nice with vst3 plugins, jriver is king of metadata editing and roon is the one of the best experiences you can have.

1 Like

I agree. An A/B comparison is tricky as one is looking for a difference and therefor hears one. Expectation and confirmation bias I suspect.

1 Like

What bugs have you experienced, and have you reported them?