Roon vs Audirvana 3.5

You said it: Audirvana is wonderful regarding SQ, Roon is a bit thin and uninvolving, but miles ahead with their GUI.

Does anyone use plugins with Audirvana?

Are there any particular recommended settings?

Cheers

I get the impression this is the unspoken truth.

1 Like

Many seem convinced to get the best out of Roon, they had to use HQPlayer in the signal path.
But this solution needs lots of computer power and is definitely not for everybody.

That’s me too

If I use Audirvana and Roon with the same exact hardware over Ethernet, Audirvana does NOT sound better.

iMac (Roon) -> Ethernet -> ultraRendu -> DirectStream DAC

iMac (Audirvana) -> Ethernet -> ultraRendu -> DirectStream DAC

Of course, Audirvana can’t touch this setup:

sonicTransporter i9 (Roon/HQPlayer Embedded) -> Ethernet -> ultraRendu -> Matrix SPDIF 2 -> DirectStream DAC

1 Like

This seems to be the case even without upsamling and filtering as HQplayer does not use RAAT, as I read recently somewhere here in the forum.

DMG Audio Equick…I use some preset EQ curves.

1 Like

MacMini (Roon) -> Ethernet -> Linn Klimax DSM/3 : WORK
MacMini (Audirvana UPnP) -> Ethernet -> Linn Klimax DSM/3: Disaster - Potentially blows up my system with some huge white noises.

Fab Filter Pro Q 3. Much better interface than Roon‘s parametric EQ.

1 Like

My setup is very simple: a Devialet 440, driving 802d3’s, connected via 5Ghz WiFi. Source is auto switching: Roon Ready, or UPnP, and I’ve had no dropouts or “device in use” errors with either. My testing so far:

• Roon RAAT: NUC/Rock (internal SSD) > 440 - very detailed, thin, bright, annoying sibilance.
  • Audirvana UPnP: MacBook (internal or SMB from Rock) > 440 - perhaps slightly less detailed, warm, fuller, no sibilance.

At this stage, I honestly prefer listening to Audirvana on the 440. No question, Roon’s user experience wins hands down, but the reward of putting up the lesser GUI and UPnP quirks is the sound, which is what it’s all about.

When I get a chance, I’ll put both apps on the MacBook so the hardware is 100% the same for each, and report back.

1 Like

Thanks for recommending this plugin…Fantastic EQ curves on this.

Cheers

I can’t hear any difference between Audirvana and Roon.

1 Like

That’s because there isn’t any, when used w/o any DSP, et al.

3 Likes

Many would disagree (including me).
If you can’t hear a difference then that is fine but others can and prefer Audirvana for how it sounds.
I don’t think anyone would disagree that Roon wins hands down in all other areas of use.

There most definitely is, I didn’t want to believe it either, though the extent of difference is probably system dependent. Perhaps Audirvana is applying some sneaky DSP, but right now, I like it. Problem is, UPnP control sucks, and I’ve no rabbit holes to explore while listening.

Have you tried it with identical setups yet?

I agree with @mikeb. i’ve only used Audirvana since following these posts however my comparisons are from identical systems. MacMini > Oppo HA-2 DAC > B&O Core (as preamp) to BeoLab 9 active speakers. Nothing fancy, but a SQ difference that cannot be overlooked. Unfortunately time doesn’t permit the concentrated effort to listen to Audirvana so Roon will get more playing time.

No. Last night I left the new Roon core restoring from a backup, tonight I’ll be able to compare. Never enough hours in the day, lol.

…and with level matched systems, tested blind?