Roon vs RoonServer database on same PC

I’m showing 988. And still having issues. When I launch Roon Server on my Mac Mini and then launch Roon app on iPad it shows a Roon Server running on the correct IP. But when I connect to it, the library has zero files. If I then launch the Roon app on the Mini - and go back to the iPad - I know show another Roon server running (same IP that I would expect) and it has my full library. So - generally - I’m not getting Roon to run on other devices in the house unless I have the Roon app running on the Roon Server along with the Roon Server app. That just seems strange.

It seems to be acting as if I have two instances of the Roon Server application running on the Mac Mini - which doesn’t seem right (possible?).

Feel like I need to deleting some Roon related files in the Library.

Thoughts?

Hi @Scott_Blackman ,

I’ve split your post off from the previous thread since this is likely another issue than the one discussed.

It sounds like you are using both the RoonServer Roon Core and the “All-in-one” Roon app as the Roon Core sometimes. These can both have their own databases.

Yes, this is likely the case here, especially if you are seeing an “Unauthorize” screen when switching. I would choose only one place to store the Roon database, most likely RoonServer (since it runs without a user interface and can be backgrounded). Then you can choose to point the regular Roon app to the RoonServer “Core”, even if on the same PC.

1 Like

REPOST; I’m showing 988. And still having issues. When I launch Roon Server on my Mac Mini and then launch Roon app on iPad it shows a Roon Server running on the correct IP. But when I connect to it, the library has zero files. If I then launch the Roon app on the Mini - and go back to the iPad - I know show another Roon server running (same IP that I would expect) and it has my full library. So - generally - I’m not getting Roon to run on other devices in the house unless I have the Roon app running on the Roon Server along with the Roon Server app. That just seems strange.

It seems to be acting as if I have two instances of the Roon Server application running on the Mac Mini - which doesn’t seem right (possible?).

Feel like I need to deleting some Roon related files in the Library.

Thoughts?

@Scott_Blackman How are you launching Roon Server on your Mini? Not sure if you’re still having this issue, but a quick way to test on your Mini that you’re not running two core:

1. Open a Terminal (Applications → Utilities → Terminal)
  2. Type ps -ef | grep -i roon and you should only see one core running from your Applications folder:
% ps -ef | grep -i roon
  501 27367     1   0 Wed07PM ??         2:37.82 /Applications/RoonServer.app/Contents/MacOS/RoonServer
  501 35062 27367   0  3:00PM ??        16:24.66 /Applications/RoonServer.app/Contents/RoonAppliance.app/Contents/MacOS/RoonAppliance
  501 35063 27367   0  3:00PM ??         0:00.01 /Applications/RoonServer.app/Contents/MonoBundle/processreaper 35062
  501 35064 35062   0  3:00PM ??         0:02.01 /Applications/RoonServer.app/Contents/RAATServer.app/Contents/MacOS/RAATServer

If you see multiple instances of Roon with different names running in /Applications then you know you’re running two cores. Another option is that It sounds like the “Roon app” on your Mini is configured to use your local storage for your library but “Roon Server” isn’t watching the same volumes. So when you launch “Roon app” it’s correctly showing your DB and library, but when you close that and launch “Roon server” it’s not been configured yet or configured to look at a different storage location.

Two things to take a look at, hope that helps.

1 Like

Hey @Scott_Blackman ,

On your Mac Mini Roon app, you can go to Roon Settings → General → Disconnect, and then connect the Roon app to your RoonServer install from the Core list. Then they should be in sync. Keep in mind you need to have RoonServer running in the tray to use other remotes.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.