Roon will not connect to my NAS

thanks for the suggestion crieke. the password is currently simple 6 character alpha only lower case

Hi @Len_Worley,

Thanks for trying the reset.

Are you saying that the QNAP is not accepting the admin password to login to the QNAP web interface either? If so, I would reach out to QNAP support directly, it sounds like something could be going on with your QNAP user accounts.

thanks noris. Something is wrong with the admin account, the password is corrupted and has been for some time. The reset failed to help and this is a known issue with QNAP. However, everything else in our home connects no problem, Windows machines, Mac OS, Samsung tvs, iPads, virtual machines, only Roon has this problem. I asked if my trial period could be extended or postponed until I had a chance to upgrade my QNAP to a newer unit but apparently that is not possible. Really too bad, I like the Roon interface and the functionality that it provides. Thanks to everyone here for your help and suggestions.

Hi @Len_Worley,

Happy New Year and apologies for the delay in getting back to you here!
Thanks for letting us know the issue is with the QNAP admin account.
I will follow up regarding the account question via private message.

Hi noris, thanks for your help and Happy New Year to you too.

Before I spend money on upgrades I thought I would reach out to you and the community here for some advice and recommendations.

I kind of have 2 options. Preferred option would be buy a nas capable of running Roon, looking at the TS-473 4GB or 8GB with maybe a couple M.2 drives (can Roon use the M.2 drives?), but I’m concerned about performance. The TVS series might be a better choice but is starting to be too expensive.

Option 2 would be to run Roon on a dedicated machine (like a Mac mini, dual core i5, late 2012 upgraded as required) and buy a less expensive nas like the TS-453.

Comments, advice and recommendations all welcome.

Thanks everyone.

Hi @Len_Worley,

You can use Roon Core on a NAS, but please be sure it meets our Minimum Requirements as an under-spec’d NAS Core is a common issue, you can use CPU benchmark to compare the NAS processor vs the minimum requirements, the i3 on the list is the minimum required:

A dedicated Roon Core is a great next step, but I would look into getting a Nucleus or ROCK if you want a dedicated machine. ROCK is a platform that runs RoonOS, an operating system we developed to run Roon. You can find more details regarding ROCK here:

Is this still true? From the Roonlabs knowledge base.

What is the ideal NAS configuration for Roon?

The NAS family we recommend as of end 2018 is the QNAP TS-473 and 4GB of RAM."

Hi @Len_Worley,

Yes, that is one of the higher-spec’d models of QNAP in terms of CPU power, so that is why we recommend it for Roon. Still though, I would suggest using a ROCK core since that runs Roon Operating System, a NAS might be performing multiple functions and will have to share resources between apps.

Hi noris. Thanks for the info. I have to upgrade my nas anyway so thought that might be a starting point at least. Will my trial subscription work on the nas?

Hi @Len_Worley,

Yes, you can transfer the Roon Core over as often as you’d like, but you can only have one active Roon Core per subscription. When you try to login to the new Core, you will be presented with an page to de-authorize the previous Core.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.