Roon with Sonos - dropouts, pauses and Lost Control of the Device

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

NUC10i3 running latest Rock software.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Rock core is Cat6 home run wired to central gigabit router. Sonos hub is hardwired to switch on the same router.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB from the NUC to main audio system (Schitt Audio DAC)
Description Of Issue

Roon works flawlessly on the main audio system. Qobuz plays flawlessly through the Sonos S2 app to all of my Sonos speakers. But when using Roon app to send audio to the Sonos speakers, I get frequent dropouts during a track, some tracks won’t play at all. This does not seem to happen if I’m playing my albums directly from my library on my NAS, which is likewise ethernet directly to the router. But all streamed content from Qobuz through Roon exhibits the behavior, whether an album, live radio or Radio mode. I have tried the community, and per recommendations there confirmed that Sample Rate Conversion is enabled on all of the Sonos endpoints. The Sonos speakers range from second gen Play5 to current gen Sonos1. All are up to date on firmware and play Qobuz perfectly from the Sonos S2 app.

Per your description, the Roon wired connections (USB) are working, and Sonos app to Sonos speaker wifi is working but Roon wifi to Sonos speakers is having the issue.

What router are you using?

Have you tried power cycling the router. Even if every other wifi device is working.

Have to ask because I’ve had a strange issue where everything was working fine except for the 2.4 band with a Roon Ready device. The 5g band was fine with IPAD and Android remotes etc. Cycling the router corrected the issue with the 2.4g band.

Hi @Rex_Noel,

If you go to Settings > Services and lower your streaming quality for Qobuz streaming is there any change?

Well, a mixed bag. Changed the Qobuz streaming quality to 16/44.1. Obviously this is not a permanent solution as my main system DAC is 24/192 capable. But started an album on a previously set of 3 grouped Sonos speakers. After a few seconds of gestating, the album started and played through several tracks smoothly. As an experiment I kept it playing but changed Qobuz back to 24/192 and it continued to play through that album and several others. After a fourth album started on the original group, I tried playing something different on a 4th Sonos. That music would not keep playing - kept trying but stopping. So I stopped that track and added that 4th speaker to the original group. Now the group stopped playing, keeps trying for a second or two then stops again. So I changed Qobuz back to 16/44.1, but no improvement. Then I took the 4th speaker out of the group, back to the original 3 but it still won’t play. Went back to one of the first albums I played in this test - no luck, same behavior. So it worked for a while on the original 3, even after switching the Qobuz setting back to 24/192, but as soon as I made a change it quit.

I have a Leviton structured wiring box, Leviton router and switch. I did try a reboot on the router but it didn’t help. Sonos Boost is hardwired to the switch as is the Roon core. The Sonos speakers work flawlessly in all combinations streaming from Qobuz on the same albums using the Sonos app.

Hello @Rex_Noel, could you please reproduce the issue one more time and reply here with a timestamp (the date and time you notice the issue) in your local timezone so I can enable diagnostics for your account? I’d also like to know the track you reproduce the issue with. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.