Roon won't connect to audio devices - roon remotes won't connect

Roon Core Machine

win 8.1 pro, i7 4770k cpu, 16g ram Roon build 1.8 build 814

Networking Gear & Setup Details

XFINITY ROUTER XB7-T wifi for core and all endpoints except for microrendu which is ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Win 10 laptop is i7 cpu wifi

Android phone is Note 9 wifi

Ipad 6th gen 14.4OS wifi

Ipad Pro 4th gen 14.7.1OS wifi

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Roon does not show most of my endpoints: android phone, ipad, ipad pro, windows 10 laptop do not show up as endpoints nor will they connect as remotes.

They were working prior to my latest update. I hadn’t used Roon for a few months due to working out of town.

My ultrarendu does show up as an endpoint(audio device) and does work

My Nvidia shield TV is visible to the roon core but would not connect (this may be operator error. I had never used that before)

I have confirmed that all the devices are on the same network with the correct IP and subnet

I have turned off all antivirus and firewalls

I have reinstalled Roon on all devices

I have rebooted all devices many times and rebooted the router 3 times.

Router is comcast xfinity supplied device

I do have Tidal but have deleted the tidal_account file

For the 4 remotes I was trying to connect, they see the core but just won’t connect. I get the connection failed error.

The setting to allow remote connections is on and I have toggled it a few times and rebooted many times.

Hello @Greg_Philpott,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing not just the problem, but also the numerous steps you’ve already taken to resolve it yourself. We appreciate it.

I was wondering if you could, please, try again to connect to these remote devices, write down the local date and time you did so, and grab a set of logs.

Can you then please upload the logs to Dropbox, Google Drive or a similar service and post a link here? Please be sure to turn on “sharing by link”, instructions on how to do so for Dropbox can be found here and for Google Drive can be found here.

link to logs…

I tried to connect with my Laptop remote and my andriod phone remote on 9/15/2021 aprox 6pm Eastern time USA .

Have you had a chance to look over the logs?

Just wanted to make sure you were able to access the logs?

Hello @Greg_Philpott,

I’m sorry I didn’t reply yet… please, accept my sincere apology. Your follow ups though have been not only very kind, but also very helpful.

Yes, we can access the logs - thank you so much. They’re now with our technical team - we’ll be in touch as soon as they get a chance to take a look.

Sit tight :nerd_face:

Hello @Greg_Philpott ,

Thanks for sending the logs over

Can you please confirm if you are seeing the same issue from the Windows 10 device when hosting the Roon Core, or does it only occur on the Windows 8.1 device? You can use these instructions to switch Cores:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings → General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

Please let us know when possible, thanks!

When I installed roon core on the win 10 laptop the phone, ipad, and win 8.1 remotes all connect with no issues. I would prefer to use the win 8.1 machine for the core because it has all my music on the hard drive. I suppose I could pick up an external hard drive and move all my music to the laptop as a secondary solution if we can’t get to the bottom of the issue.

One additional thing. I did start the win 8.1 core back up and it still has the issue. No connections from remotes. I was hoping that connecting the other way would have triggered the connection to the original setup but it didn’t work.

Any ideas yet? I suppose I could buy an external HD to hold all my files and move my core to my laptop but I was hoping to fix my current setup.

Hello @Greg_Philpott ,

Thanks for confirming that the Windows 10 Core does not have any issue. Based on your symptoms here, this sounds like it could be an issue with the TLS certificate on Windows 8.1, can you please verify this?

If this does not help resolve the issue, then using the Windows 10 PC with a hard drive is an option. Let us know if this helps!