Roon won't Open

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel® Celeron® CPU N2820 @ 2.13GHz 2.13 GHz
4.00 GB (3.90 GB usable)
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

BT Hub 120 Meg

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Ethernet Bluesound Node 2i

Description Of Issue

When I open Roon I get a white square with a red X through it and then it just shuts down.

Does the core pc meet min requirements?
How many tracks in your library ?
Does the core have an SSD C drive ?

Just a thought , it seems a bit “weak”

It is a cheap Nuc as I was going to run it headless and just leave it turned on under the desk. I thought it met the min requirements and has 300 GB of SSD available. It won’t be doing anything other than running Roon. Thanks

A lot depends on library size, if large > 100k tracks, I suspect it won’t cut it. The SSD is vital so that’s good, Roon recommend i3 minimum , 4gb RAM

Have you rebooted it ?
What OS is it Windows?

The error you describe sounds graphics, maybe check the graphics driver is up to date and is the current one for that CPU/ Intel graphics

Graphics drivers are up to date and I’m just doing a windows update. There is no music stored I’m only using Tidal

It is the total number of tracks in your library that affects performance and database requirements. Whether that track is local or from a streamed source is inconsequential, both, have the same impact on the database.

So, how many tracks do you have in your library now, and how many do you think you will have.

3,471 tracks now…

1 Like

That graphics chip is wicked old and the latest drivers I found are from 7 years ago. It is most certainly a graphics issue.

You can try using the 32 bit version of Roon which seems to work better on the older graphics chipsets.

Or, better still, just run RoonServer which does not have a graphics component. You said you were leaving it on under a desk anyway.

1 Like

Hi @Simon_Tippett

As suggested above, this machine definitely falls short of what we’d recommend. Since you are planning on leaving this headless, it might be better to try installing RoonServer so that no UI is used. You can then control this device from other remotes.

1 Like

Fantastic, running RoonServer was exactly what I wanted and its running perfectly!!! I don’t have to open and log into my proper PC or laptop now to listen to music. Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are yout sorted now, it’s my bedtime ready for another sunny African dawn :joy:

1 Like

All sorted, woke up and able to play straight from iphone

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.