Roon suddenly refuses to play any music files when using my Windows PC (the same one running as core) as the endpoint. If I select an album, it just scrolls through the track names but nothing ever plays.
I’ve tried restarting Roon and rebooting the PC with no success.
Super frustrating. Any advice?
Hi @Edward_Lee ---- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us. The insight is very appreciated and sorry to hear of the frustrations.
Moving forward, to help aide in our understanding of this behavior you are reporting may I very kindly ask you for the following:
Just to make sure we are on the same page here you have no external device mounted to the PC for audio playback, correct? You just playing directly out of the PC, yes?
No error messages or warnings the queue just runs through each track without ever playing until it’s complete empty, correct?
Please verify where your music collection is being stored/accessed from.
Does the PC have any active firewalls or antivirus applications running on it presently? If it does, may I kindly ask you to please temporarily disable these functions and confirm if this action yields a change in behavior with playback?
Sorry for the slow reply. I’ve been swamped with work lately. To answer your questions:
- Correct. PC is directly connected to my Denon receiver via HDMI.
- Correct. No error messages. It just runs through the queue without ever playing.
- Music is stored on a NAS. I have verified that I can browse to the NAS through Windows Explorer.
- Turned off Windows Firewall. It made no difference.
No apologies necessary @Edward_Lee I appreciate the follow up!
Ok, so things are a little different then what I had interpreted from your initial report. Based off your latest I now understand that you are using a Denon receiver (via HDMI) as your endpoint and not playing directly out of the the PC’s internal speakers. Apologies for the confusion on my end.
Moving forward I would like you to kindly please try performing the following in this order:
- Please temporarily disconnect the HDMI cable running between the PC and Denon receiver, and try playing directly out of the PC’s internal speakers. Is Roon still unable to play content as expected when the Denon is temporarily bypassed?
If “yes”, please share these results in your follow up response. If “no”, please proceed with the following…
- Please verify what the experience is like if you try to play content that is stored on the internal drive of the PC as opposed to content being pulled from the NAS.
Thank you for reaching out to me @Edward_Lee and providing the requested feedback. Very appreciated!
Continuing forward, may I very kindly ask you to please try the following and confirm if any of the following actions yield a change in behavior with the Denon. See below. Thanks!
You mentioned in your first post that you started the PC. During your troubleshooting have you also tried rebooting the Denon?
Have you tried testing with another HDMI cable?
Have you tried setting your “channel layout” to “7.1” as mentioned here in our knowledge base?