Roon won't save album artwork for my albums

I will now try powering down the Sonic Transporter (I have the model with internal storage, but I also have an attached USB drive on top of that (don’t ask!)). This arrangement is one reason I have so many hundreds of bleepin’ “duplicate” albums – the albums reside on both the Transporter and also the attached USB drive. When I try to get the artwork into place, I always use the “primary” one from the Transporter. But some day I have to get rid of all those stinkin’ “duplicate” albums…

Michael

Greg,

As you predicted, rebooting Sonic Transporter didn’t do it.

How do I pull a problem album out of the watched folder? My music folder is “read only” to keep me from messing it up…

Michael

Hi Michael,

Ok, hold off. I don’t know enough about the SonicTransporter to give you advice.

The extra drive is interesting. I assume it’s set up as a watched folder too, thus giving you duplicates.

Why do you have the extra USB drive? (I had to ask :grinning:)

Cheers, Greg

I forgive you. :slight_smile: So my entry path into Roon wasn’t so smooth as my library was in multiple (mostly redundant) places. I ended up manually and laboriously transferring music folders in batches from the USB drive (known as Michael’s Music 5) into the watched file on the Transporter (known as Imported). I think that most of my library made its way onto the Transporter, but I’m not sure, and so I never got around to detaching the USB drive, but left it “mounted” on the Transporter. This gave me many hundreds of so-called “duplicate” albums, which are mostly just irrelevant. I’m not sure why that would cause this problem with album artwork, but maybe you can figure out something here…

Oh, I almost forgot to clarify: the attached drive (Michael’s Music 5) is NOT a watched folder, only the Transporter’s drive (Imported) is a watched folder. Like I said, the entry path wasn’t so smooth. It was an instrument landing in bad weather with the control tower on coffee break and …

Is it possible the albums you’re having problems with are duplicates?

If you go into Settings > General, do you have Show Duplicates set to Yes?

Also, go into Settings > Setup and click Clean Up Library. What number does it want to clean up for each of the 3. Don’t clean yet.

Cheers, Greg

It is possible.

In “Settings,” there is no option re showing duplicates. There is an option called “show hidden albums,” which is set to “no.” When I set it to “yes,” it doubles the number of albums that I have, adding about 1,000 albums.

When I go to “clean up library,” it shows 0 tracks in each of the 3 categories.

Puzzling, eh?

Michael

Hi Michael,

Yes, it’s Show Hidden. My mistake.

Let’s concentrate on Grant Green Standards. if you display the album, click on the Other Versions button. Is there two and, if so, make a note of the location of each album.

Let me know what you find.

Cheers, Greg

Hi, Greg. There are 2 versions shown: 1 in Imported/Michael’sMusic5 (the ST’s internal storage?,), which is a watched folder, and 1 in “Michael’s Music 5,” which is not a watched folder.

2 thoughts:

Many/most of my 1,000+ albums are found in both folders in exactly this same way, yet only a few dozen are refusing to save known artwork. Maybe this can’t account for the artwork problem?

Somehow “MM5,” which seems to have all my albums and is not watched, is a sub-folder within “Imported,” which also contains all my albums and IS watched. That seems not optimal. :scream: Is there an easy way for me rto (1) confirm that “MM5” has nothing that isn’t also in “Imported” and (2) if so, delete “MM5”?

Could you post a screenshot of your Settings > Storage tab?

At the very least, maybe we can figure out a way to get rid of your duplicates. :grinning:

Cheers, Greg

Will do so tomorrow night when I’m back online. Many thanks!!!

Maybe this is a function of the way the sonictransporter works. Maybe @agillis has some ideas?

1 Like

There is nothing special about the sonicTransporter. It’s just running the standard version of Roon Server. Album artwork should work fine.

Yes I understand that, sorry was not clear. I was wondering more about his issue of the duplicates with copies of tracks on the SSd and a USB drive and them both showing up with Roon only pointing to one watched folder. I was wondering if it into be something to do with this confusion around duplicates that might then be leading to the problem with saving artwork. Maybe not but something has got messed up for him somewhere.

I’m not sure about this. As far as I know you can have album duplicates and cover art will still work. I know a lot of my customers have multiple copies of the same album with no problems.

Ok thanks, worth a try.

If the USB drive is not known to Roon as a watched or organised folder then my money is on multiple copies of an album in the same folders, but with different filenames.

Greg, here is the screenshot of my Settings>Storage tab. If there’s any other info I can provide, please let me know.

Again, due to my unconventional entry path into Roon, I ended up with “Michael’s Music 5” (the portable USB drive) as a sub-folder nested in “Imported,” the read-only file that is watched by Roon. I assume the contents overlap about 99% and would love to find an easy way to confirm and then “lose” the duplicates (I’ll keep my back-up copy, of course).

Many thanks!

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the screenshot.

Watched Folders in Roon will also watch subfolders. So, if the external USB drive is nested in the Imported Folder, then Roon is watching it too.

Have you removed all the music you want from the USB drive and put it onto the internal drive? If so, shut down the SonicTransporter and unplug the USB drive. Boot it back up and you should be good to go.

If you haven’t moved all the music over, then you should, so that you can get rid of the USB drive. This is causing your duplicate problem.

Hope that makes sense. After you remove the USB drive, go to the Audio tab and it’ll show you how many tracks are imported. If it’s about half (of about 26408), then you’re set.

Cheers, Greg

Hi, Greg! So I took a deep breath :nerd:and deleted “Michael’s Music 5” from the Transporter and so it’s no longer a watched folder on Roon. This dropped the number of imported tracks shown on Roon by almost 50%, down to 14,247. When I scan my albums, I still note a number of duplicates, but definitely fewer than before! :+1: So I got excited and tried again to save the artwork for some of those albums with no artwork showing, but alas, that problem remains unsolved. :slight_frown: