Roon won't save album artwork for my albums

I am in search of help. I have about 1,000 albums , and Roon finds the right cover art for virtually all of them. But when I ask to “save,” Roon just stays with the generic B & W picture it assigned to the album originally. I have tried forced re-scanning, rebooting, etc., without success. What can I do?

Michael

Roon should be retrieving and applying it automagically, without the need for you to ask it to save the artwork. Where are you choosing save from within Roon?

When Roon assigns the generic photo to an album, I open “edit,” then “identify,” and usually Room brings up the right “identity,”
Artwork and all. I select it, and the right image appears in the album screen. Then I click save – and it reverts to the old B&W photo! Repeat, repeat, repeat. Sigh…

Hi @Michael_Steinberg ----- Thank you for the report. I am a bit confused about the issue you are experiencing here and would like to ask you for some clarification so I can get this straightened out for you :slight_smile:

You mention the following:

" I have about 1,000 albums , and Roon finds the right cover art for virtually all of them."

"When Roon assigns the generic photo to an album, I open “edit,” then “identify,” and usually Room brings up the right “identity,”
Artwork and all. "

1. When you notice an album isn’t being picked up by Roon and is listed as “unidentified”, you are manually searching for and identifying the album, correct?

2. When you hit “save” the newly identified content isn’t being saved and is remaining in an unidentified state?

3. Can you provide me with some screen grabs of the process you are going through so I can see an example of what is going? I just tried to reproduce on my end and am unable to.

-Eric

Hi, Eric, and thanks for your response! To be clear, Roon has the music tracks just fine, and the albums are playable, etc. This issue pertains only to the artwork itself. So I try to “identify” the album, and Roon almost always shows the correct album among the choices. Then I select that, and the screen shows the correct cover with the correct tracks (sometimes I have to address minor sequencing issues in the tracks, sometimes not). Then I click on “save,” and Roon now displays the tracks with the generic B & W cover that was there before. I’ve tried forcing re-scan, rebooting, etc., and nothing seems to work.

Not sure how to do a “screen grab,” but if you can spell it out for me, I can try again. Or we could set up a screen share so you can see for yourself.

Many thanks!

Michael

Hi Michael,

Here’s how to take a screenshot.

Windows screenshot.

Mac OSX screenshot.

Just drag the pic into your message or use the little up arrow icon at the top area of the message.

Cheers, Greg

Gulp! Here goes.

These are 3 shots: the “unidentified” album as it exists in my library; the correct artwork “identified” by Roon, and the correct artwork linked to the metadata and asking me to click on “save.” When I do, it reverts right back to the beginning of the chain…

Hi Michael,

A couple of things while you wait for @eric to get back to you.

Could you describe your setup?

Also, does this only happen with WAV files?

I see that you have a Roon update to install. Has it been a while since you’ve updated the software?

Cheers, Greg

Thanks, Greg. The digital setup is: Sonic Transporter in the other room, Ethernet cable (75’) to the microRendu in my listening room, Entreq USB cable to the Chord Dave DAC, Galileo LE cables to the Emia attenuator and Emia mono block power amps. I use Roon on the iPad mini as my control device, rarely if ever using Roon on my iMac desktop (although I used it tonight to take the screenshots for you).

About 95% of my files are WAV, but I haven’t really noticed whether this happens with other types of files, of which I have very few to begin with – some FLAC, a few MP3, etc., but very little.

I know of no pending Roon update to install – but I’ll check now.

Michael

Greg, I actually don’t see a Roon update anywhere for me to implement. The microRendu doesn’t exactly advertise the updates, but it seems to be running 1.1.8 – is that not the latest version?

Michael

Hi Michael,

I just saw on your first screenshot that there was a Roon update to install. If you hardly use that machine, it’s probably just an update to that one machine, not the server. Might want to update it anyway.

Have you tried Identifying and saving using the iMac to see if it makes a difference?

Cheers, Greg

Update implemented on the iMac (I think!).

Yes, I tried (tonight) saving on the Imac and the result was the same as on the iPad.

One other observation: sometimes (like just now on the iMac) the “save” button is highlighted in blue, as if Roon wants you to save your work, whereas other times (often on the iPad) the “save” button is not highlighted and clicking on it seems not to do anything, as if Roon only wants you to click on “Go Back” and not click on “Save.” Mind you, the end result is the same either way – the artwork does not get saved. But I thought I should mention this other discrepancy.

Michael

Ok, one last thing to try (from me :grimacing:).

It looks as if the album is identified, so this time edit the album, but instead of Identify, select the Edit Fields tab and scroll down to Album Artwork and see if the proper artwork is there. Try and select Best or Roon and Save.

See if that works.

Cheers, Greg

1 Like

Hi, Greg! I tried it just now on the iPad. When I go down to the Album Artwork in Edit Fields, there is no artwork shown. I can toggle back and forth from Best to Roon to File, but no artwork is there. Obviously Roon “knows” the right artwork, because it can "identify’ the album correctly, but it doesn’t want to save the artwork for some reason.

I’m hoping to hear from Eric today and get some clarification on how to make this work. Many thanks for your help!

Michael

Hi @Michael_Steinberg ----- Thank you for all the feedback, and @Greg, thanks for tips and tricks here :+1:

Moving forward, I tried to reproduce this behavior on my end as I am a MAC user as well and am unable to :head_bandage: However, I would like to test with some of your content in house to see what I can come up with. Michael, are you a dropbox user? Would you be able to send me an album that you are experiencing this problem with? If you are not a dropbox user, no worries as I can offer a different upload method. Let me know :sunglasses:

-Eric

Hi, Eric, and thanks for your note. I believe I have a DropBox account, although I might need to reactivate it and reinstall the app. Is there another upload method that might be simpler to implement here?

Michael

1 Like

@Michael_Steinberg ---- I will contact you via PM momentarily with instructions, thanks!

-Eric

@Michael_Steinberg ------ I wanted to reach back out to confirm that I tested with your samples on my MBP and Windows computer and Roon picked up the content immediately with the correct artwork. Please see below for examples.

-Eric

Thank you, Eric. What does that tell us about the fact that Roon doesn’t “save” the artwork (which it has) on my IPad or IMac? This issue affects a few dozen albums of mine.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Do you have the SonicTransporter with the internal storage or do you have a NAS?

Have we tried powering down and restarting the SonicTransporter? I know it’s a long shot, but should give it a try.

Another thing we could try is to pull a problem album out of the watched folder, then go into Settings > Setup and Clean Up Library. Then put the album back into your watched folder. You will lose any edits you made to the album.

Cheers, Greg