Roon Won't Start After Windows Update

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

My Core is loaded on my Dell PC 16Gig Memory, Windows 10 Pro. IBM had an update yesterday 1013/2020. Since then my Roon won’t start. l get the quote screen and then the loading icon that doesn’t change. Roon usually starts quickly. I have a lifetime license. I shutdown the pc and restarted several times with no joy. I’ve had Roon for about a year with no issues until today.

I connect to my equipment through USB to a Wyred4Sound 192K/24 USB box to Coax to my Stereo Equipment.

What exactly upgraded? You can tell by going to Settings, Updates and Security, and view Update History. It doesn’t sound like Windows the OS was updated, your post makes it seem like some IBM update. It would be good to know.

I’d go to the manufacturer site of the graphics card and download their latest drivers.

All Updated today 10/14/2020

Update for .Net Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10

Update for Windows 10 version 2004 for x64 based-systems

Update for Adobe Flash Player Windows 10 version 2004 for x64-based systems

These were the only updates I found that ran today. I was running Roon yesterday with no problem. I saw no Intel or Dell drivers listed.

2004 has a lot of problems, which still need to be ironed out by looks of it.

Can you start roon from the Explorer window?

I’d roll back to 1909 and give 2004 another shot in 6 months .

What is the roon executable called? I can’t find a roon.exe.

Qobuz has no problems with 2004.

afafafa

Hmm. Its called Roon.exe. Where were you searching? Roon installs itself under the AppData of the user in Local.

An update can cause an issue that can be corrected by Rolling back and then redoing the update. I’ve had to redo updates many times at work. Not saying that you should roll back because of Roon.

That aside, v2004 was a very buggy release, not the least of which is a very concerning SSD defrag bug. See: Windows v2004 Issues

You might try:

Under the AppData Local Roon there is a folder called Cache. Try renaming that to Cache_Old and then restarting Roon. Roon should then re-create the folder. In case something in the Cache was causing the hang.

Its a routine Windows Update , I just did mine a few moments ago . Roon started with no issues when I rebooted as did everything else (so far)

Sounds like a specific PC issue , maybe drivers . Has you PC got any “Extra Cards” that windows may object to .

Hi @John_Lee2,

Welcome to the forum! Can you please use these instructions to send me a copy of your Roon logs?

No extra cards

Renamed the cache, new cache didn’t fix the issue. I’m thinking of deleting Roon and loading a fresh copy.

I’ve created the zip files of the logs. Don’t have a drop box and don’t feel comfortable providing a link to my PC. Can I email the file.

After I found roon.exe I tried running it in the explorer window, no joy. I’m thinking of reinstalling roon to get a fresh copy to see if that fixes the problem.

Hi @John_Lee2,

Can you please click on my name on the forum -> message and send the links via Dropbox as a private message?

You can do this with the following instructions:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder

5 posts were split to a new topic: Roon Hanging after Windows 2004 update

A post was merged into an existing topic: Roon Hanging after Windows 2004 update