Roon1.8 no longer selecting highest quality

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, Intel core i7, Roon 1.8 build 756

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

NetGear Orbi wired

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Naim Uniti Star wired

Description Of Issue

I am logged into both Tidal and Qobuz. With Roon 1.7 it would consistently select the highest quality source for me.

That no longer seems the case. Have had a couple of cases where the Tidal source was CD quality while the Qobuz source is 96kHz 24bit. And yet Roon will play the Tidal source when asked to play the album.

How can I setup Roon 1.8 to once again select correctly?

Just had Roon play a Tidal AAC version instead of my local lossless WAV of an album :rage:

Check the stream quality settings on your Tidal account through the Tidal website. It should be set to Master and then it plays the highest resolution available.

Hey thanks. However it is setup like that. For this album there is only an AAC version on Tidal. But I have a local CD quality version. Yet it played the low quality version.

It’s been doing this a few times. Going for the Tidal version when there is a better quality version available on Qobuz or locally.

I also noticed this change in behavior in version 1.8. Apparently it’s random: sometimes it selects the best version, and other times it doesn’t.

1 Like

Yes it also appears random to me.

The album in question last night always worked as expected under Roon 1.7.

What is set as the primary version in your Library?

Before the upgrade to 1.8 it was the local WAV. After the upgrade it seemed to have lost that and I had to manually set it now.

That’s another metadata bug then. I had albums that where complications loose the performed by status on all tracks. Had to re-identify a bunch of albums for it too pick it back up.

Urg yeah. The quality detection is one of the most important features for me so let’s hope they squash that bug soon.

1 Like

I have a potentially related issue. I have 2 versions of an album: 24/192 and DSD64 in DSF format. Roon 1.8 won’t even FIND the DSD version

Does it show up as being unidentified if you use focus to filter and choose identified and click on the + to make it a -?

Hi @Almero_Steyn

How have you started playback here? Are you playing Roon Radio or did you start playing another way?

Hi @dylan

I typed the album name in the search box in the iOS app, selected the album and then pressed the “Play now” button.

It is an album I play often. But then I saw that the quality indicator was yellow instead of purple and that is how I found it was happening.

Just had it again after the latest upgrades to Core.

Search for an album, play via the main “Play now” button. Starts playing the 16bit Tidal version. Go and look and 24bit Qobuz version lurking undiscovered.

@dylan is there any news of this and if it is something that will be fixed? The auto select highest quality feature on Roon 1.7 was one of the top selling points of the software. I little bummed that it is now gone.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.