Roonbridge not working

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 20H2

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet, Unifi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Trinnov Altitude 16 (works fine), Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar (works fine), PC with Roon Core and Roon Bridge (does NOT work)

Description Of Issue

I have the latest Roon Core and Roon Bridge software installed on my Windows 10 PC. After starting roon, going to Settings - Audio, I can see the PC appearing for about 2-4 seconds with a couple of devices showing in the “This PC” section as can be seen in the following screenshot:

After 2-4 seconds the devices in the “This PC” section disappear and the screen looks like this:

A few minutes later the “This PC” section disappears completely. The Trinnov and the Ambeo stay in the list and can play music as expected. But I cannot get the music playing through the soundcard of my PC. Windows Firewall is off. No other firewall service is installed.

Any update on the matter?

Have you tried any basic troubleshooting such as rebooting everything?

Yes, I rebooted - no change. When I exit Roon and restart it, the local PC is not shown at all. When I exit Roon, exit RoonBridge, restart RoonBridge and then restart Roon the behaviour is exact the same as described: Devices are shown for a few seconds and then disappear. Roon itself is working and streaming to other devices with no issues, so I guess the problem must be with Roonbridge.

Is this a new install or an old one that has started doing this?
Have you had windows 10 updates on the pc?

Hi Maximilian,

I wonder why you have both Roon and Roon Bridge installed on this PC. It isn’t really necessary, as Roon includes the endpoint functionality of Roon Bridge, and you always must keep Roon active because it’s your Core PC.

I am just speculating, but I would remove Roon Bridge from this Core PC to see if it helps with your problem. Other than that, I would think if Roon doesn’t see the output devices of the PC where it is installed, there must be a (driver?) problem with the Windows audio subsystem.

It’s a new installation. I just began using Roon. Windows 10 has all the latest updates.

Hi Andreas,

I thought that both Roon are Roon Bridge are necessary. However, I just uninstalled Roon Bridge and the issue stays the same.

If it was a driver issue, it must be unique to Roon, as all other Apps (Tidal, Qobuz, MS Teams, regular Media Player, etc.) work fine.

I would make sure that the windows firewall still has exceptions for roon. Sometimes windows update closed them.
To test temporarily disable the firewall.

I already tested with firewall off - no difference.

Maximilian,

You can try the following:

First, terminate the Roon program.

Inside the Roon installation directory you’ll find the RoonServer/Cache directory. Inside the Cache directory, delete the devicedb-prod.zip and devicedb-prod.zip.etag files. Then restart Roon.

Does that make a difference?

1 Like

Still the same …

Ok, then we will need help by a Windows user or Roon support.

How can I contact Roon support? I already searched for an option to do so … This is not a cheap product, so I would expect to get some support as well.

You posted in the support forum, Roon @support team will see your message and try and help.

Is this a new roon install or a new fault with an existing one.

As a last resort I’d try a reinstall; but I suppose that some other software on this PC must be interfering with Roon. I don’t remember having seen this same problem mentioned before…

I already answered this question. It’s a new installation.

OK, so I will wait for Roon support to contact me. Many thanks so far Andreas and Ged.

Hello @Maximilian_Kohmaier, and welcome to the community! Could you please do the following so I can enable diagnostics for your account?

1. Reboot
  2. Open the Settings>Audio screen to reproduce the issue (please let me know the time when you did this)
  3. Reply here with the timestamp from step two.