RoonBridge On Fedora 23 Won't Run [Solution]

I have resolved the issue, so I’m posting this for other users. (The Easy Installer script may need an update.)

Roon Core Machine

Roon Core running on ROCK (NUC8i3BEH)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

All devices connected using Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

AudioQuest DragonFly 1.2 connected to Linux host (Fedora 23 Workstation)

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Installing RoonBridge on Fedora 23 using the Easy Installer doesn’t work because roonbridge.service fails to start…

× roonbridge.service - RoonBridge
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/roonbridge.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2022-04-06 19:55:09 BST; 8min ago
   Main PID: 6630 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
        CPU: 1ms

Apr 06 19:55:09 imitator systemd[1]: Started RoonBridge.
Apr 06 19:55:09 imitator systemd[6630]: roonbridge.service: Failed to locate executable /opt/RoonBridge/start.sh: Permi>
Apr 06 19:55:09 imitator systemd[6630]: roonbridge.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /opt/RoonBridge/start.sh: Perm>
Apr 06 19:55:09 imitator systemd[1]: roonbridge.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Apr 06 19:55:09 imitator systemd[1]: roonbridge.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

The error occurs because SELinux prevents the system service from running. I assume this happens because the script and binaries are outside /usr/local/bin.

My solution was to move the installation from /opt/RoonBridge to /usr/local/bin/RoonBridge and edit /etc/systemd/system/roonbridge.service, changing the following line:

# ExecStart=/opt/RoonBridge/start.sh
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/RoonBridge/start.sh

Finally, execute sudo systemctl daemon-reload and sudo systemctl restart roonbridge.service.

Edit: A simpler solution is to execute:

sudo restorecon -rv /opt/RoonBridge
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.