RoonBridge Zone drops with 1.3 build 208

I am having the same issue i.e. Zone being dropped for USB devices (HDVD800 and Marantz NA-11S1). Airplay works fine.

1 Like

@mike I logged into the BeagleBone and reinstalled RoonBridge using these commands, answering yes if I wanted to delete and reinstall. And let me be clear, it worked just fine until the upgrade to build 73 and builds 207/208. The device also works fine as a UPnP player.

Roon Bridge armv7hf
$ curl -O http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
$ chmod +x roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
$ sudo ./roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh

@Arif_Iqball and @fritzg ---- Thank you both for your feedback.

@fritzg I will be contacting you momentarily via PM with further troubleshooting instructions. Please stand by.

@Arif_Iqball — In order for us to understand the behavior you are experiencing, can you please provide us with the details of your setup as seen here.

Furthermore, may I ask you to please clarify your statement for me so I understand what device is acting as your Roon bridge . Thanks!

-Eric

Thank you for the quick reply.

My core is on a Synology 1815+. I have had zero issues for the past many months till the new build was installed.
I am posting my settings

Both devices attached to the core are not working. They are attached using USB. Airplay is fine. Both these devices were working fine till the latest update.

Please advise if additional info is needed. Thank you again!

Thanks @Eric. Look forward to the instructions.

Sent the logs and such via PM to @Eric is @mike also monitoring that PM thread?

Just copy/pasting my message from the other thread on this issue.

Hi.

Yep, same here. Build 73 broke my beaglebone bridge as well. Just came to the forum to see if anyone else was having the same issue.

As soon as I try to play something on it, it just drops off the network and roon asks me to select another zone.

It enables itself back online after some seconds, but breaks immediately as soon as I try to play anything on it. :confused:

If I replace my beaglebone black with a raspberry pi3 that I use for other stuff everything works great again. So it seems to be something on the beagle that doesn’t like build 73 or vice-versa.

Also running Debian Linux 3.8.13-bone70 armv7l
(Debian 4.6.3-14)

The same BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2015-03-01 fritzg seems to be running.

I can put the rest of the system specs as well if you wish, but the beaglebone black seems to be the common item.

Cheers.

Hi @fritzg @Skywatcher @Arif_Iqball – we took a look at this and we think we understand the issue.

The issue here is that some Linux devices appear to be using a version of ALSA that is older than we recommend.

Some situations in which this older version of ALSA worked in the past may be less tolerant with our most recent release, due to some unrelated stability fixes. We believe we understand why this is happening, and we’ve already made a change that we hope will help people running older versions of ALSA. This will need to be tested before it’s released.

For now, the only real work around is to use a more current version of ALSA. We’re not sure if newer versions of Synology firmware includes a newer version of ALSA, but for issues related to Beaglebone, you may be able to resolve this by switching to something like DietPi which may include a more current and fully tested version of ALSA.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience guys – we really hate having people stuck over the weekends, and we’re going to rush the next release out as soon as possible.

Thanks all!

In the mean time, you could try flashing a more recent image and install Roon Bridge on that – the latest appears to Debian 8.6 (Nov '16):

https://beagleboard.org/latest-images

Thanks, @mike. This has been such a good turnkey solution I was surprised when it failed.

Thank you @mike , will wait for the solution. I am surprised other Synology users have not raised their hands. Hard to imagine everyone is just using airplay or perhaps their machines are newer than mine bought last year).
Thank you for the quick attention to the issue.
Arif

Thanks for the reply @mike

I guess I’ll have to wait for the new build as well. I went on and installed the latest version of Debian for the beaglebone black, that comes with alsa 1.0.28.

The install using your easy script went without a hitch and I can see the RoonBridge and RAATServer processes running, however, RoonServer is unable to see the RoonBridge at the BeagleBone. It’s as if it’s not running.

So I’ve actually managed to make things worse, as now the RoonBridge doesn’t even show on the network despite I can see it running in the processes list. Oh well :slight_smile:

Does the bridge keep any logs? Couldn’t find any under /opt/RoonBridge or var/roon/RoonBridge

I’ll just keep the raspberry pi temporarily as bridge until the next build and hopefully I’ll be able to get the beagle back into action then.

1 Like

@fritzg @Skywatcher @Arif_Iqball @BE718 – just a quick update that we are hoping to put a fix for this issue into alpha testing today or tomorrow.

It’s a pretty straightforward fix, so we should be in good shape to release it once everything is confirmed stable.

1 Like

Thanks for the update.

New build is up @fritzg @Skywatcher @Arif_Iqball @BE718 – let us know how it goes, guys.

Thanks!

@mike So far so good. Both devices are working. Will let you know if something stops.
Thanks for the quick turnaround of the issue.

Yep its working ok here

Thanks!

All good here! Many thanks! :+1:

I’ll check it out later. Removed it from system and need to put it back in.

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.