RoonCore Crashes While Streaming When Remote Connects, Then Restarts

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Synology DS218+
Roon 1.7 (build 667)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

NetGear Orbi Wifi router
Synology connected to router via ethernet
DB stored on USB SSD

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

RoonBridge (1.7 (build 571) running on RopieeeXL) connected via wireless
Raspberry Pi (named LivingRoonWifi in the below log capture)
HifiBerry DAC+

Description Of Issue

I’ve noticed this issue rather frequently, probably happens every few days. Here’s what’s going on:

• I’ll be streaming Roon for a few hours, typically Live Radio, from RoonCore to the RopieeeXL Raspberry Pi via wireless, life is good.
  • I’ll pull up a remote to do something – change volume, change channels, simply look at what’s playing – which typically means launching the app from my iPhone or a MacBook.
  • As the app is launching, RoonCore will go offline and I’ll get the message in the app that it’s trying to connect to a remote core. It will keep trying for about 10 seconds until it reconnects to the core.
  • I’ll restart the station and life is good again until the next event.

I’ve capture logs from two of the crashes and both seem to be reporting client disconnected/connection refused during the events. Example:

12/14 19:53:18 Warn: [raat/tcpaudiosource] send failed: The socket has been shut down
12/14 19:53:18 Warn: [raat/tcpaudiosource] disconnecting + retrying
12/14 19:53:18 Debug: [raat/tcpaudiosource] disconnecting
12/14 19:53:18 Info: [brokerserver] Client disconnected: 192.168.1.10:59078
12/14 19:53:18 Info: [brokerserver] Client disconnected: 192.168.1.101:54294
12/14 19:53:18 Trace: [LivingRoonWifi] [LowQuality, 24/44 MP3 => 32/44] [100% buf] [PLAYING @ 133:55] Michael Jackson - Wanna Be Starting Something
12/14 19:53:18 Debug: [raat/tcpaudiosource] connecting to 192.168.1.106:40411
12/14 19:53:18 Error: [raat/tcpaudiosource] connect failed: Connection refused

I can share the captured logs if it helps, just let me know. But it only happens when I open a new remote connection, repeatably.

Thanks!

Have you set this on the orbi?

Netgear Orbi Routers

If you’re making use of an Orbi router, we recommend unchecking Disable IGMP Proxying in your router’s settings. This setting can interfere with the ability for Roon Remotes to connect to the Roon Core.

1 Like

Hi @rcrawley,

Checking the IGMP Proxying setting is a good area to investigate.

Does the issue only happen after streaming for a significant amount of time? I wonder if the NAS is potentially running out of resources and crashing? This NAS doesn’t look like it meets our Minimum Requirements.

Does the same behavior occur if you try to temporarily host your Roon database on the Mac?

• Create a Backup of your database
  • Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

Thx all for the feedback. Unfortunately no luck on disabling IGMP; my particular Orbi model and/or firmware doesn’t offer an option to disable. I have a few requests out to Netgear support but given their model of no support after 90 days, I’m not optimistic.

@noris

• I thought the DS218+ met the min specs? I’ve upgraded it to 10Gig on-board RAM, offloaded the DB to a local USB SSD connected to the NAS, and it’s running an Intel Celeron 64-bit processor, so it looks good based on Roon specs. Am I missing something?

• It does seem to happen more frequently in the afternoon or evening (that I’ve noticed) so it’s probably safe to say that it happens after Roon has been streaming something for a while.

• Good suggestion on running the DB locally. I’ll give that a test over the holiday.

1 Like

Hi @rcrawley.

The CPU is the issue here, this is where your CPU falls compared to the Minimum Specs we suggest (Intel Core i3, Ivy Bridge+):

Give that a try and let us know how it goes!

Thanks @noris. I’m not familiar with the differences between an i3 and Celeron so thanks for the clarification on minimum reqs. The mid-term plan is to move to a NUC with DAS so I’m just living with this architecture until that upgrade.

1 Like

Some installations work fine with what you have but others really struggle and get a range of symptoms, including those that you see.
The celeron was designed to be lower cost chip and so had features disabled.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.