"Roonify" your USB drive or NAS with the sonicTransporter

Attach an USB cable between the SonicTransport the DAC.

It seems not possible. Correct ?
If I’m wrong, what is needed in order to make this work ?

Actually, I suppose the same goes for ROCK. Not possible or ?

Meaning Roon on a Linux installation will not work with USB to a DAC.

USB does work. Contact the vendor as he has requested and he can talk you through it.

Without adding any preinstalled apps ?

You can attach a DAC to the USB port on the sonicTransporter. You would need to enable local playback in Roon. (looks like you did this)

The sound from the DAC would not be that good compared to something like a microRendu.

-Andrew

Well, but Roon does not see my Singxer F1, via the ISO REGEN, so what else must I do ?

I suppose it’s the USB 2 port that has to be used as well ?

Nor does it see the Explorer2, unless I’m using Roon Brigde on another PC.
And I like to do direct in order to test the SonicTransporter VS a PC as a pure USB interface.

Also withe DAC direct to SonicTransporter, will I be able to use HQPLAYER ?

I’m not sure why it’s not working. I would need to connect from remote and take a look.

You can not use HQplayer with this setup. You would need a microRendu for that.

For support on your Small Green Computer products please go to https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/ and click on Contact Us.

-Andrew

I have been using my syn. ds218+ as a server with roon installed.
But now I am about to use a sonic transporter (2016) as my server with roon installed.
The DS218+ will still supply the music files/library store and in turn send this to the sonic transporter server.
Should I leave roon installed on the DS218+ or remove it?
Cheers!

Doesn’t matter. Only one Roon Core will run at a time.

If you’re going to move to a new machine for Core, don’t forget to backup your Roon library using Roon backup before the move and restore after.

I’m almost certain that the core is on my laptop, but there is another smaller piece of roon software on my NAS. I was going to remove this software from the NAS and use the software that is roon ready in the sonic transporter as the server. At the moment I have a rendu that is acting as the player endpoint and that is also roon ready, but I think the core is only on the laptop? Not on the rendu/sonic transporter or NAS?
I’m still not sure therefore if I should remove this software from the NAS that I had to download and install myself? (as this will be only acting as a HDD storage device).
cheers!

AKAIK, only Server (Core) can be on a NAS.

You can remove it or leave it, doesn’t really matter. However, if your remove what is on your NAS and it is the active core or if you change the location of the active core, then if you haven’t backed up your Roon library first you will lose any curating you have done. If you simply change the location without a backup/restore of Roon library, it can be recovered by temporarily changing back and then doing a backup.

What does Settings–>General indicate is your Core?

What does Settings– General, indicate is your Core?
The NAS!

OK, that answers that.

So, when you get ready to use a new machine as Core -

1. Use Settings–>Backups–>Backup Now to backup your Roon library.
  2. Install Roon software on new machine, either the complete Roon package if you also want to control Roon from there or just install the Server.
  3. Change the location of Core in Settings–>General
  4. Once new Core is active, restore the backed up Roon library using Settings–>Find Backups
  5. Once everything is as you want it, you can delete Roon on the NAS or not. Roon will only use the Core that you have set in Settings–>General, unless you change it.

BTW - Nice diagram

What is the NUC doing? I guess it’s just an endpoint?

hi,
yes the NUC as endpoint.
It is an experimental phase at the moment.
the sonic transporter/iso regen are both pending!
My NAS goes straight to the router at the moment.
The microrendu 1.4 is the endpoint and I also have a DIY PC on the shelf that can be used as and endpoint or server or all in one solution (one box).

I thought I would start again, so I uninstalled the Roon software from the NAS & laptop.
I plan to try various combinations with this gear.

Have you tried the the microRendu into that USB to i2s converter?

@agillis
microrendu usb > DDC USB > i2s DAC

YES!

@agillis
today upgraded HQP embedded to 4.9 on the ST i5 4 core and HQP NAA to the 3.5.6 on the Urendu. The result is that it doesn’t work. I can play with the Roon Server

Try updating it all again.

Also if you have any issues with Small Green Computer products. Please click contact us on our web site.

This set-up hurts my head! :rofl:

4 Likes

hurts my head as well!

2 Likes

As painful as the above is, it’s still better than the 1st cut -

Notice the NAS USB.port connected to the S/T USB port, sans any Ethernet connection. Not to mention the iPurifier; don’t know what that’s supposed to be purifying. Certainly not an audio related signal.

2 Likes