RoonReady RAAT High Resolution Playback Problem [Solved]

Reviewing…

The problem at 192k vs 176k happens at very different points in time, so it’s probably not an arithmetic/software bug (if the 176k failure happened at 22 seconds, it would be a smoking gun for a certain class of problem).

You’ve swapped out almost everything at this point.

• 3 different Roon Servers (win/xeon, sotm, mac)
  • 2 Switches
  • 2 USB DACs on SE
  • SE vs Aries
  • WiFi vs Wired

There is one other anecdotal report of this behavior in this thread. And we have many other people stable with both products. I’ve put probably 200 hours on an SE here, much of it with high-res formats.

Has anything not yet been swapped out? I’m guessing the router is the same. Maybe something else on the network is generating traffic or interfering? Going after network cables seems like grasping at straws. This still feels like it must have an environmental cause.

192k playback to these devices has never worked for you, correct?

It would be interesting to try DSD128 with a USB DAC and the SE. DSD128 is more bandwidth than 192k PCM, so when it fails (and whether or not it fails) may point in a direction.

The next “digging deeper” step would be to sniff the network, capture traffic, and confirm what is going on, maybe logging into the SE to do some troubleshooting from that side too. I can do both things over TeamViewer to the Windows machine.

What’s also strange is that I can send 192 audio from the RoonServer to my iMac running Roon remote without a single issue. As soon as I connect the Aries or Sonicorbiter SE to the same cable, I can’t play 192 audio beyond 20 seconds.

I can’t help but think it’s a buffer overrun on the endpoint device. Maybe your network is too fast! :smile:

Try putting a 100mbps switch in between if you have one (yes those do exist).

Hi @brian - Your recap of the situation is correct. There is nothing I haven’t swapped out, even network cables.

I’m not sure if 192 has ever worked with these two devices.

The Sonicorbiter SE has DoP enabled but all the DSD content is being converted to PCM for some reason, so I can’t try the DSD128 test.

I’m wide open to a TeamViewer session. I really can’t think of anything I haven’t tried yet.

OK, possibly some progress.

From my MacBook Pro running Roon core (not server), I can now stream 192 to the Auralic Aries. But, I can’t stream 192 to the Sonicorbiter SE smoothly. Playback is very staticky, although right now it’s going beyond 20 seconds. Only with my MacBook Pro.

Ok. Lets teamviewer. Windows machine, turn UAC off, turn off speakers + stuff that might make noise and disturb you, and PM me the details.

I’ll be around for the next 8-10 hours, save for 30mins here and there, anytime is fine. Weekend too, if that’s better.

If it helps, I tried playing a couple more tracks to the SOSE at 24/192 and while they don’t all stop at the same time it is always somewhere at the 15-20 second mark. If i set the max sample rate to 96 everything is just fine.

I have a PC in the same room connected to the same wireless extender that the SOSE is plugged into. If i connect to that extender and play 24/192 files to the PC everything is fine. Same thing with with my laptop.

Did you guys figure this out?

@brian, @ComputerAudiophile

I am playing right now 24/192 to an Aries connected to my DAC over AES - no issues at all.

Configuration is:
RoonCore: v102 on mini w 10.11.3 (minimal install), LAN over Eth
Aries: LPS version, fw v3.1, LAN over wifi, DAC over AES
DAC: EmmLabs XDS1v2 (same as Dac2x), sample rate 192 showing on display

No issue, been playing for a while (sounds great). Album is Charlie Haden’s “The Private Collection” — FWIW… :smile:

The MacBook Pro running Roon is working great. The Windows machines still have the issue.

Trying more things.

1 Like

Im finding the same thing, Roon from a wireless iMac as core, seems to work without issue feeding the SOSE, while my Win 10 core, wired seems to have issues and drops.

We got some intermediate results that point towards a network problem (I turned on a packet sniffer on the windows machine and it immediately “fixed” the problem on that machine and two others–weird stuff), but haven’t finished all of the annoying tests where you power on/off and swap devices to isolate the one causing the issue.

1 Like

Hi @brian - I made things simpler by narrowing down the variables and creating a network diagram. Below is the network as I have it setup right now.

1. The top image is my network when playing 24/192 content works without problems.
  2. The bottom image depicts my network when playing 24/192 content doesn’t work (stops at 20 seconds).
  3. The only difference between the top and bottom images is the operating system on the MacBook pro. It’s running Boot Camp, enabling me to simply reboot the machine to test Windows / OS X playback.

I know this doesn’t eliminate a network problem, but it appears to make it less likely. The only thing that changes between a working and non-working system is the OS. I suppose it could come down to the differences between how OS X and Windows 10 function on the network, but it really seems like there is something up with how Roon / RoonReady devices are working with windows.

2 Likes

Awesome! That’s the scientific process!

Nice chart - Is the MBP running W10 under Bootcamp or VM?
Was wondering whether there is a driver limitation using Bootcamp or VM?

Good question. Boot Camp.

That’s exactly what sprang to mind here, and unless the same issue occurs when you replace the MBP running windows with a windows machine, its almost certainly the issue?

Have you tried using something like parallels? As it hooks into the mac hardware differently that bootcamp would.

I’ve used two different standard Windows machines (non-Apple / Bootcamp) and reproduced the same issue. I switched to the Boot Camp setup because it enables me to narrow the variables down further.

The Windows 10 drivers installed with Bootcamp are awful… There is a process to follow via Bootcamp Assistant to update to the latest W10 drivers.

I can’t remember exactly what the process is, but do recall it fixes a lot of the common issues with audio and networking for W10 via Bootcamp. You may have already done this, but if not its worth a try.