RoonReady Sonore Sonicorbiter SE

Sorry about that…it’s available now for purchase.

Jesus R

Hello @Jesus_Rodriguez

I am just about to order a Mytek Brooklyn as my DAC and want to hook it up to the SE to connect up my main listening room to Roon. The SE runs on Linux, correct? If I need to install drivers for the Brooklyn, is that possible to do on the SE?

I am just in conversations with a supplier ot the Brooklyn to determine whether it is driverless for USB 2.0 Audio for Linux. It seems to be for Mac OSX but not for Windows.

That unit does not need a driver on the SE.

Jesus R

Excellent news - thank you.

Hi Jesus

Is DSD256 to a Lampizator DAC (amanero Combo384) driverless possible as well?
Will DSD512 be possible as well in the future?

I know you said “self contained”, but you could always purchase a wireless bridge from Netgear / Linksys / whoever and not need a wireless adapter and as a bonus removes the wireless noise from being internal to the SO. Excuse me if you have already thought of this - just pointing out more than one way to skin a cat.

You can use HomePlug if you need the Sonicorbiter in a room with no Ethernet. Works much better then WiFi and no radio interference.

The unit already supports DSD512. It is possible to support the Amanero USB interface, but they have not released the source code for this. I have been in contact with them, but you could also email them.

Jesus R

1 Like

What’s your opinion of the ethernet over coax adapters compared to HomePlug.

Hi. I have just installed a sonicorbiter se. Any by the way, thanks to Mr.Gillis who promptly sent me a new one after I experienced some sort of failure. I have worked through the set-up instructions. RoonReady is started. The SE is connected to my DAC (Emotiva DC-1) with usb cable. But I cannot pick the Sonore device as an audio zone. It does not appear to Roon as a networked device, even though my network sees it and knows it is there.

Any ideas?

Looks like you just sent me email with the same question. I can help you via email.

coax adapters are great! They work just as well as HomePlug but they are a little less convenient since you typically have less coax in your house then electrical outlets.

Do share the resolution with us.

I have one of these on the way so I’m interesting in your experience.

Cheers

SJB

Mine is playing great! Mr. Gillis took over laptop to do some checking, I guess. This is what he said:

You had hardware volume control set but your DAC does not support hardware volume control. This caused the RoonReady app to fail. I’ll talk to Roon about getting a better warning system for this.

My DAC has a knob for volume control…

It look like your DAC is doing volume control in the analog domain. This is very good for audio quality but bad for remote control. There is no way for us to turn that knob from software. You will need to adjust the volume control manually using that knob.

I enabled software volume control in the RoonReady setting on the Sonicorbiter SE. This should be changed to None so you don’t get and digital attenuation as well as analog attenuation.

He was hugely helpful!

Good to know.

Hoping to get a tracking number any minute now to tell me my SOSE with iFi power supply is on its way.

SJB

13 posts were split to a new topic: Playback issues using HQPlayer with Sonicorbiter

I have been doing some testing on DACs with built in volume control and they work great!

A post was split to a new topic: SonicOrbiter + Oppo requires restart after disconnect

@agillis can you configure the Sonicorbiter SE to work with a USB wifi dongle/adapter? If yes, do you foresee any performance implications?

No WiFi is very bad for audio. Creates a lot of electrical noise and also not very reliable.

If you are going that route you manage well use a low end solution like a Pi.

A lot of Sonicorbiter SE users have been having good luck with inexpensive HomePlug adapters or very good WiFi access points (on a 3m+ Ethernet cord away from their audio equipment)