Roon's new Internet Radio Directory: Curators Wanted! 🙋‍♂️

Indeed … no need to reinvent the wheel. Off course the page should look really cool with artist pictures for the song playing and such

Fully agree. Even add Tune In as well to the list. Linn and other streamer provider have shown how easily it can be implemented and used.

Really pleased to hear an upcoming release will have better Radio functionality but I a question.

I live in the UK, and the BBC offers its streams at a higher quality for residents (license fee payers) . Will the new curated feature allow the selection of these higher quality streams or will it default to the standard quality international streams?

Thanks

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Local Internet Radio Balance issue

You are probably correct, Gary. It’s been a while.

Indeed, unless reinventing the wheel is significantly cheaper than the licensing costs.

4 Likes

Fantastic news!!! A much needed upgrade. Thanks for making it happen.

1 Like

not sure what Roon will do here, but in LMS (squeezeboxes), there are a couple of plugins that were created by a user that provides BBC stations with different streams depending on whether one is inside or outside the UK, and allows those inside to get the higher bitrate streams. There is also an “extras” plugin that allows one to stream certain archived content on demand.

Glad Roon are making internet radio easier to use. I’ve never managed to get the Insert URL version to work.

Does this mean we’ll be able to search and listen to Soundcloud via Roon?

Thanks to everyone who signed up so far!

Really appreciate all the interest in this project, and I’ll be in touch with more information soon!

2 Likes

I’m keen to help with the New Zealand stuff, it is fairly well known that we have an extremely large number of stations for the size of the population, so happy to help get this right if you’d like that help. Also have had experience with what Logitech Squeezebox used to do and have 20+ years in tech, if that counts for anything. :smiley:

2 Likes

Please please please please (channeling James Brown here) make sure that Radio Paradise’s high def stream is on the list, with full metadata linkage. JRiver’s had it working fine for quite awhile - album art, artist, song, etc.

It’s pretty much the only online radio I listen to.

3 Likes

I really like Calm Radio. I subscribe to their premium ad free streams with 320kbs and over 300+ different programming formats to choose from. They have private URLs that you have to cut and paste into Roon. It would be nice to see an integration with TuneIn to ease adding streams from Calm Radio. I currently find the TuneIn “station”, add it to Roon to get the metadata, then paste in the private URL for the high bit rate ad free stream.

1 Like

Hi,
got the confirmation to join, but by trying to acces the following reply prevent me from starting.
How to proceed now ?

Sorry, you don’t have access to that topic!

Regards
Günter

I have the same issue too

Hi @Guenter and @Soul_Man,

Mike will be around soon to help get that sorted out for you.

Cambridge Audio CXN has a great system even allows for the bit rate to be searched so well as genre and location Please equal that then the high quality of Roon can extend to the Internet radio

TuneIn radio is OK, but often does not offer the highest bit rates.

1 Like

You might try JBRadio2 also. They offer a 16/96 FLAC stream that sounds excellent.

1 Like

Will check it out tomorrow. What I love about Radio Paradise is that, for every two hours I listen, I hear five or six artists I’ve never heard before, several of whom have become huge favorites of mine. Their mixes can include heavy metal, folk, Dixieland, chamber music, soul vocalists, and electronica, and that’s within a half hour. And it works.

I’ve only known one other radio station (and it was back in radio days, WHFS in the Washington DC area) that had no concept of playlist… just what would sound interesting next no matter the genre. That Radio Paradise is funded voluntarily by listeners tells a lot… any given hour, you’ll see huge numbers of listeners around the world.

1 Like

Would be good to have Tune in radio and all streaming services like Google Play, Spotify Deezer etc

1 Like