Roonserver not reachable after update

Hello @beka

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

[root@grendel RoonServer]# uname -a
Linux grendel.home 4.18.0-240.22.1.el8_3.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Mar 25 14:36:04 EDT 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root@grendel RoonServer]# cat /etc/os-release
NAME=“Red Hat Enterprise Linux”
VERSION=“8.3 (Ootpa)”
ID=“rhel”
ID_LIKE=“fedora”
VERSION_ID=“8.3”
PLATFORM_ID=“platform:el8”
PRETTY_NAME=“Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.3 (Ootpa)”
ANSI_COLOR=“0;31”
CPE_NAME=“cpe:/o:redhat:enterprise_linux:8.3:GA”
HOME_URL=“https://www.redhat.com/
BUG_REPORT_URL=“https://bugzilla.redhat.com/

REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT=“Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8”
REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT_VERSION=8.3
REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT=“Red Hat Enterprise Linux”
REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION=“8.3”

[root@grendel RoonServer]# cat VERSION
1.8 (build 790) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

192.168.0.0/24 LAN Ethernet (not Wifi)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Windows 10 Pro Ethernet, Audio via local soundcard.

Description Of Issue

• In the functional Roon setup
  • after every update of the Roon Server (and the update of the Roon Client, triggered automatically by Roon upgrade releases)
  • the Roon Server becomes not reachable.

Workaround:

• “Select a different Core” from the Roon client.
    → Selectable is the same Roon Server that ws evidently just upgraded and was “unreachable”.
    → choosing the the old server as a “new core” results in a connection that works just fine again.
    → I am asked to enter my account and password information again.
    → Unfortunately a byproduct of the workaround, a new installation, is loss of all settings and a complete re-scan of all the music files.

The workaround setup runs fine until the next Roon Server Update
→ Then repeat the procedure or lose connectivity (ie. I have gone through this problem 4 or 5 times now, for every single Roon Upgrade since Version 1.8)

It would be nice not to have to re-initialize the Roon Server with every update. :wink:

The Setup is currently in the failure state - meaning I have not undertaken any changes, so we can have a look at what is causing the hangup, and I’ll just have to live without my music until we get it going.

What logs do you want to see?

Sincerely

Christian

Probably I should have written @support in here.

Hi @CRo

Please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link (or any other file sharing service).

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Dylan, I sent the link to the links via Message, hope that works okay.

I have the Server logs and those from the Windows client.

1 Like

Hi @Dylan,

any ideas on this? I’m just asking because I’m about to re-initialize the Roon Server (full re-scan of all the music) so I can hear my music again, which will solve the problem until the next Roon update.

Were you able to get the logs?

Hi @Dylan,

I have deleted all traces of RoonServer from my Linux Server, re-installed it, re-scanned all my music, and then we’ll see when the next Roon Server upgrade comes, if the same problem happens again.

If you configure Roon to take regular backups, you could at least restore your library and settings without having to rescan.
Anyhow, that behaviour is strange and not common, so hopefully gets fixed with the help of support!

Hi @CRo

Apologies for the delay here. I took a look at the logs you shared, and they’re all logs from after the update — I don’t see anything from before the update. It looks just like a “new” install.

Are you able to see any of the older RoonServer folders/log files anywhere?

Do you have any backups of Roon? If you restore a backup does it work okay?

Hi @Dylan and Marin-Weigel,

Right, I have even tried restoring backups (which is indeed way faster than doing a full rescan).

To make it clearer, here’s an itemized listing of the steps I’ve done since every update since the initial 1.8 upgrade:

1. Upgrade (happens automatically ofcourse) to the latest Version
  2. None of the Roon Remotes connect anymore
  3. Select “Choose a different Core”
  4. Select the same core as before, but this time the connection works
  5. Need to type in account and password again
  6. All the settings are gone
    → At this point I have done one of two things, either a) or b):
    a) Restore a backup.
    → Result: everything works again, all settings are back (until next update)
    b) Do a full scan and set all the end points up again
    → Result: everything works again, after scanning and updating metadata (takes all night), things work again (until next update)

I’ve done that 4 or 5 or maybe now the 6th time. :wink:

So, the logs you saw were from at step 2. in the process: updated and could not connect to the existing (and running just fine according to the logs and the Linux process information) core.

Unfortunately, I have dumped all my backups this time to save space, and now made new ones after completing step 6.b above (a full re-scan.)

We can see what happens with the next release after the current 1.8 Build 790!

Hi @Dylan,

the Windows Roon client said there was an update today, and as expected, after restarting the roon server, the clients (Windows, Android) are nolonger able to connect to the Roon server.

The roon Server is running though:

[root@grendel ~]# systemctl status roonserver
● roonserver.service - RoonServer
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/roonserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Tue 2021-05-25 16:18:44 CEST; 19min ago
 Main PID: 2530 (start.sh)
    Tasks: 49 (limit: 200520)
   Memory: 175.6M
   CGroup: /system.slice/roonserver.service
           ├─2530 /bin/bash /srv/RoonServer/start.sh
           ├─2564 /srv/RoonServer/RoonMono/bin/RoonServer --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonServer.exe
           ├─3159 /srv/RoonServer/RoonMono/bin/RoonAppliance --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonAppliance.exe -watchdogport=32999
           ├─3167 /srv/RoonServer/Server/processreaper 3159
           └─3799 /srv/RoonServer/RoonMono/bin/RAATServer --debug --gc=sgen --server RAATServer.exe

May 25 16:18:44 grendel.home systemd[1]: Started RoonServer.
May 25 16:18:45 grendel.home start.sh[2530]: 00:00:00.001 Warn:  get lock file path: /tmp/.rnsgem0-
May 25 16:18:45 grendel.home start.sh[2530]: 00:00:00.123 Trace: [childprocess] using unix child process
May 25 16:18:45 grendel.home start.sh[2530]: Initializing
May 25 16:18:45 grendel.home start.sh[2530]: Started
May 25 16:18:48 grendel.home start.sh[2530]: aac_fixed decoder found, checking libavcodec version...
May 25 16:18:48 grendel.home start.sh[2530]: has mp3float: 1, aac_fixed: 1
May 25 16:18:50 grendel.home start.sh[2530]: Running
[root@grendel ~]#

Hi @Dylan,

I have gathered all the logs, and sent you and support a Message with a downloadlink:

[root@grendel RoonServer]# tar cjvfp /tmp/roonlogs210525.tgz ./RoonServer/Logs/* ./RoonServer/Database/Orbit/* ./RAATServer/Logs/*
./RoonServer/Logs/RoonServer_log.01.txt
./RoonServer/Logs/RoonServer_log.02.txt
./RoonServer/Logs/RoonServer_log.txt
./RoonServer/Database/Orbit/orbit_v3.db/
./RoonServer/Database/Orbit/orbit_v3.db/LOCK
./RoonServer/Database/Orbit/orbit_v3.db/CURRENT
./RoonServer/Database/Orbit/orbit_v3.db/LOG.old
./RoonServer/Database/Orbit/orbit_v3.db/000005.ldb
./RoonServer/Database/Orbit/orbit_v3.db/LOG
./RoonServer/Database/Orbit/orbit_v3.db/000008.ldb
./RoonServer/Database/Orbit/orbit_v3.db/000009.log
./RoonServer/Database/Orbit/orbit_v3.db/MANIFEST-000007
./RAATServer/Logs/RAATServer_log.01.txt
./RAATServer/Logs/RAATServer_log.02.txt
./RAATServer/Logs/RAATServer_log.txt

[root@grendel RoonServer]# pwd
/srv/RoonServer

[root@grendel RoonServer]# uname -a
Linux grendel.home 4.18.0-305.el8.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Apr 29 08:54:30 EDT 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root@grendel RoonServer]# ls
Appliance  check.sh  RAATServer  RoonGoer  RoonMono  RoonServer  Server  start.sh  VERSION

[root@grendel RoonServer]# cat VERSION 
1.8 (build 795) stable

[root@grendel RoonServer]# cat /etc/redhat-release 
Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 8.4 (Ootpa)

Thanks for the update, @CRo, and for sending over the logs. We’ll take a look and will follow up.

Hi @Dylan,

I want to hear my music, but please don’t let that stop you from looking at the logs!
So I restored the previous Core version.

1. I Chose “Select a different Core”
  2. Clicked on “Connect” for the same Core that I had before the upgrade.
    Note: the “other Core” (the same Core) that is listed is Version 1.8 Build 795, the staus is READY, otherwise I wouldn’t have it listed as “the other Core” that I can connect to.

1. Selected “Restore a backup”
  2. Chose the last backup: 2021 May 22 02:01:29
    Note: this is the previous Roon Release 1.8 build 790.

1. Confirmed the selection

1. After the restore completed I chose “Relaunch”.

2. Quite interestingly, here I now have the choice to connect to the restored Core, which is now Version 1.8 Build 795.

1. Connecting works now.

I have uploaded the logs collected from after this latest restore and sent you a message with the link.

Thnks

Chris

Continued via PM