rooNuimo – best Roon controller ever

do you have docker image for amd64?

Sorry no, I only support a SD-Card image for the Raspberry Pi and the Nuimo Hub.

Could you deliver the nuimo to China?

I would but the Nuimos I had are gone (see here)
You can pre-order if you like :grinning:

Paid,
cannot wait for it!

1 Like

I bought mine on 220222. Can you confirm if the order was sent before stock ran out?

I must have gotten one of the last ones, it arrived a few days ago! I’m using mine with a zone that has a fixed volume and I was wondering if there’s a way to permanently set the Nuimo to seek instead of change volume while rotating it. In the settings, if I choose “Never” under Extended Settings → Seek Timeout it seems to never seek instead of what I’d want, to always seek. (Using rooNuimo 1.1.3 on rooExtend 2.2.0.)

@DrCWO

First of, thank you for these great control options. I’ve got all of them now Surface Dial, Space Mouse, Nuimo and the Apple Watch app, all with just two RPI 4s. Great products and software for a very affordable price. THANK YOU!

Regarding the Nuimo controller that just arrived:
I am noticing the range for the Nuimo is pretty terrible. I can use the Surface Dial in other rooms and at acceptable and “far” distances. The Nuimo only works (without a lag) within 1-2 meters from the RPI. If I go beyond 2 meters is sort of works but the lag is so bad that you can’t rely on the volume display which makes it a pretty bad UX.

Here is what I have tried:

• I mounted my RPI in a higher place with less interference (it was inside a cabinet)
  • I have this hardwired to my network
  • I added a TP Link Bluetooth adapter. Is there a way to tell if the Nuimo is using this vs. The onboard Bluetooth? Or, is the automatic?
  • Is there anything else I can try, or is this “as good as it gets”?

I still love it, but I may need to set some LOW expectations for where this can or can’t work.

Thank you!

1 Like

@DrCWO

It would also be really useful if the Nuimo could support the “Change volume only at playback = NO” option like the RooDial Surface Dial. This allow volume control even when using non-Roon sources. Very useful.

1 Like

Same problem here. Dr. CWO and I discovered, that this range limitation is due to the used Linux version. I am using rooExtend with the previous Linux version. With that I get about 5m range.
BTW: This limitation prevents me to use rooWatch, too. Lets hope, the bug (or poor implementation) will be fixed soon in the current Linux version. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Interesting, I don’t have the range limitation on the Apple Watch. I manually added the IP of the RPI which is hardwired to my network. The Apple Watch appears to work anywhere where my WIFI extends which is many rooms and distance from my RPI.

Can you please elaborate on the “previous Linux version” — I would be THRILLED with 5 meters of range. How do I get this version @DrCWO?

rooExtend 2.2.0 feeds both rooWatch and Nuimo in my configuration. But this version is not suitable for Niumo. There are no range problems with rooWatch due to WiFi, but I have no rooExtend 2.2 with old (better) Linux version. So I stuck with prevous version 2.1.

@DrCWO that would be great

Thanks @Henrik_Lampe! I have another RPI running 2.2 so it would be easy to downgrade to 2.1 just for the Nuimo and move the other devices to the 2.2 image.

@DrCWO Can you please make the 2.1 version available for download or is there another solution to this range issue?

It is on my list, will integrate it in the next release.

1 Like

I put v.2.1.3 it in the download folder where I normally place the beta versions.

This whole thing makes me really unhappy. Why:

• It is caused by the kernel upgrade I had to do from time because of security issues. They kernel guys improved the BT service for audio playback and probably this was the reason for the distance issue. I have no idea how to proceed here as I have no access to the kernel developers.
  • The issue is NOT consistent for al Pi models. Even different revisions of Pi4 behave different. I updated the boot eeprom of my Pi4 in the study and the issue was gone. But this did not help @Henrik_Lampe. So with my unit and the current Boot eeprom anything is fine in my study.
  • It also seems to depend on the personal enviroment at your home. If you are in a crowded 2.4GHz WiFi area the issue seems to be more prominent. In my living Room there is no WiFi, as my accesspoints are in the basement and in my study at the first floor. In my living room I never had the issue even not before the eeprom upgrade. I have 5m with v2.2.0 and a BT USB Stick.

So if you have trouble with the distance please get a 5m or 10m usb extension cable and attach the BT USB stick at its end to find the best position. It is no good idea to stick on v2.1.3 forever. This will become a security risk some day.

Best DrCWO

Carl - thank you for the response and details. Unfortunately, I can’t really run cables to my listening spot… So, I am going to give the 2.1.3 version a whirl and will let you know if my experience changes. I might even try another BT stick to see if that makes any difference in range.

It really is a beautiful controller.

Thank you and have a great weekend!

@DrCWO Carl - I noticed in downgrading to 2.1.3 that my Nuimo is paired to the on-board Bluetooth. I removed the dongle while this was connected and it continued working.

Is there a way to force it to use/recognize or repair with the dongle? I would imagine this is better than the onboard. Btw, the range on 2.1.3 is not much better or the same.

If you insert the dongle before booting the Raspberry it will be used automatically.

I did expect this behavior but having removed the dongle whilst turning the volume it seems it was using the onboard BT. Otherwise, there would at least be a pause?

I just reset everything (that always works right) :slight_smile:

What I see on the Nuimo now when I try to turn the volume is attached. Is that asking me to choose between adapters? I’ve tried long press, etc but so far I’m stuck here.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/152lsywzmCibaUkhMTxfVOEciP3ZMdd29/view?usp=sharing