rooNuimo – best Roon controller ever

Thank you DrCWO for this interesting lesson. In my system, of course the Roon Core is always on, and I choose the static option in the IP address setup. Is it possible to do the same for the RPI, a static IP maybe for a better reliability ?
Thanks again.
Texas_tattoo

No it is not. But the router remembers the IP he delegated to the Pi so it will stay the same if you don’t disconnect it for a very long time.

The rooNuimo has been a perfect addition to my LS50 Wireless II system. The speakers lack any visual volume indicator, so the indicator on the Nuimo is very helpful. It’s also much easier turning the Nuimo to crank or lower the volume whenever needed (compared with repeatedly clicking a cheap plastic remote while pointing it directly at the speaker). Easy to setup, and the Nuimo’s build quality is an A+. Looking forward to further RooExtensions in the future.

7 Likes

Just in case someone is interested in a used black Nuimo with Nuimo Hub:
You can find one in eBay classifieds.

Best DrCWO

@Henry_Svendblad You mentioned having all 3 controllers, any real world feedback/opinions you can share in regards to using all three with rooextend?

I am using 2 surface dials and have been very happy with them. I know I want to add more controllers and I’d like to try the other models so I can use my existing RPis. The display and gestures of the nuimo seem intriguing so I plan on getting a few of those. I’m curious if there is any other interesting functionality that I’d miss by only trying the nuimo and not the space mouse. thanks in advance!

I have 3 MSDial’s and 2 nuimo’s and have stopped at that. Space mouse could be interesting but cost is quite a jump up.

1 Like

Thanks for that, I’m leaning towards a similar setup as you. I already have x3 dials and I noticed DrCWO convinced Senic to produce more nuimo so I will get x3 of those. I’m indecisive about trying the space mouse. It’s intriguing but I do prefer the simpler look of the dial and the nuimo. Maybe if I ever want more than 6 controllers I will try it.

1 Like

To be honest here, the BT performance is really a drag on the enjoyment of the nuimo. Either with external bluetooth dongle or without. Some day everything works fine the next day I am fiddling around for 15 min before I give up to get it working, where it work before. I start to use the nuimo less and less because I can use the three different remote controls for my setups or the iPad. It is fun to fiddle around for setup, but than I expect it simply to work, it is only a remote control after all. It could be so much when they have simply used WiFi instead of this really crappy BT. :hot_face:

Another thing: This maybe related to wrong settings. When I have a stable connection and I want to change the volume the nuimo is not reacting right away, I have to wake the nuimo up by turning the wheel vigorously before I can change the volume which sometimes lead to a jump in the volume, very annoying.

Have you updated to the lastest build from a couple of weeks ago as that has created big BT improvement for a number of user’s.

This is also what I heard and tested by myself.

To get a really long distance, you can get the BT 5.0 Adapter from ZEXMTE with the antenna.
You find it in Amazon for approx… 20$.

ZEXMTE offers a BT 5.1 and a BT 5.0 device, both with antenna. I tested with the BT 5.0 device and got 10m reliable BT distance with the Nuimo.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Does this happen automatically with Update of Roon or do I have flash a new firmware for this?
This I have not done. will do that. Thanks for the hint. :slight_smile:

P.S. Sorry for venting my anger.

Hey I really felt frustration rather than venting.
No auto update as of this version you need to manually burn. Auto updates are coming in a later version.
Only takes 5 min’s, but you might want to note your settings and license before you update.

It’s a very good and stable update.

2 Likes

Thanks, will try the Update first and see how this improves.

With respect to the other topic, that the nuimo is not reacting immediately, is this also more related to a weak BT connection or could be something else wih settings?

It is, probably the heartbeat was not received by the Nuimo and it got asleep…

1 Like

The google drive link above to the 2.2.1 Beta 5 Version is no longer working. Is there a new link to the beat version?

Edit: It seems to be out of beta and now is the standard version from the download site. :slight_smile:

Ok, updated all, first look says improvement, will see in the future. :wink:

But now I lost my Roon Bridge, do I have to activate this again?

1 Like

Yes it’s a new install so you just need to enable it in the extension. The good Doctor has shared plans for a settings backup as well as Auto update feature, these will make future updates much simpler to get back where you started from.

Here’s hoping your BT stays reliable

1 Like

Found it.
Thx!

1 Like

Hey @George_R sorry delayed reply here but work has been crushing this past week…
In order of my preference:

1. The MS Surface Dial is my favorite “go to” controller overall. It’s small, elegant, simple, the batteries last and last, it just always works. The range is excellent. It’s dead simple to use, play/pause, start, volume, and the haptic feedback is really a nice way to confirm it’s “working’. Also, with a “Change volume at playback only set to NO” I can control my active KEF speakers when they are playing other inputs. Very handy for TV, etc.
  2. The Nuimo is a beautiful well constructed device and has a wow factor. The display is a really nice touch However, it comes with some drawbacks. The battery needs to be recharged regularly. I find it a bit more inconsistent in terms of range and stability. No haptic feedback, “is this thing on”… The swipe gestures are nice but also inconsistent. I had to setup another RPI to run this one as it won’t run on the RPI with Surface Dial or Space Mouse. Finally, it currently lacks the “change volume at playback only”, although this is coming in a future release.
  3. The Space Mouse is one I have put away and frankly just don’t use much given 1 & 2. It feels like a PC component because it is, unlike the Surface Dial which just blends in.

Hope this helps and of course YMMV. Let me know if any questions?

2 Likes

Hi, folks.

I just got around to converting my old Nuimo hub to rooExtend.

@DrCWO - thanks for the terrific product and the very easy to follow walkthrough on setup!

I have a feature request. I’d love to be able to identify a set of genres to be able to cycle through using a rooNuimo. Would you consider supporting roon tags in a manner similar to what you already do with playlists? In other words, allow me to map a rooNuimo control gesture to a single tag (or set of tags if you want to get ambitious) and then use allow me to use that gesture to cycle through the items which have been tagged that way?

In my case, I’d create a tag called “rooNuimo” and I’d apply that to a set of jazz, rock, and folk subgenres. I’d map swipe down to “Tags \ rooNuimo” the same way that I can currently map a gesture like swipe down to Playlists.

As I cycle through the entries of the rooNuimo tag, you’d just sequentially start shuffling the tagged items.

I hope that makes sense - if I’ve explained it poorly, I’m happy to give it another shot.

Thanks again for rooNuimo, rooDial, and rooWatch - I use all three of them!

Regards.

1 Like