rooNuimo – best Roon controller ever

@DrCWO Thank you for adding these drivers. I’ve just ordered one from Amazon, will give it a try and report back. It would be nice if I could extend the range to the outside of the house. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I installed the new Beta you noted as 2.2.1 Beta 5, Roon reports this as Beta 4, btw.
I also tried the new longer range dongle (Amazon.de) with the extra antenna, it does seem to give me better coverage inside my house. Interestingly enough it goes from perfect (no lag) to just nothing (flashing Bluetooth icon), where the other ones seem to just start lagging. I am guessing this has to do with the limiting factor here which many noted is probably the NUIMO. So about 20M through walls, is about as good as it’s gonna get for me in my house.

@DrCWO - I now have 3 RPIs for Controls and Displays in my listening space. If I could ask for one request for your backlog. As a user, I would like to add the RoonExtend controllers inside of Ropieee’s OS. Not sure how or if they are willing to cooperate with you, but it sure would be nice to reduce the number of SBC around my listening space from 3 to 2 or just 1. They also have a better upgrade process built in. I see they support HQPlayer and a few other add-ons so perhaps others here would appreciate the same?

Hope you had or are still having a great vacation. Thank you!

Henry,
I asked him but he denied :cry: He does not like to support Roon Extensions that are not for free.

OTA upgrade is on the backlog for rooExtend v3.0.0 and NAA for HQ-Player is already supported. The Application Manager also will be includes in rooExtend v3.0.0. I already have the permission of @Jan_Koudijs :+1:

Hope this will help you when v3.0.0. is released.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. I guess I don’t really care Ropiee vs. RooExtend as long as I (we) can reduce the number of SBCs…. Let’s figure out a way to do so. I don’t care if free or if minimal cost…

Prost!

I have read through the thread here but ran into a bit of a snag with rooNuomo. Install went very well and start up was easy so far. I have been testing with two dacs (soekris 2541 & bifrost 2) one with volume control and one without both using the rooextend raspberry pi usb output as my roonbridge. On both scenarios, the volume cannot be controlled by the nuimo.

For the Bifrost, the volume in the roon software is fixed - I would have assumed I was able to control the volume from the software end as it went to the hardware. For the soekris, the volume in roon will change with the R/L nuimo turning motion but the volume doesn’t change in my headphones. Any ideas here?

I’m wondering if this is an issue with the dacs I’m using or if its based on the roonbridge source (rooextend) usb output? I am going to try using a seperate pi 4 with volumio to see if that is the issue with both dacs later this week.

I’m assuming this is user error and my misunderstanding of setups. Any help is appreciated!

Cheers

@Zachary_Zachowski,
I think I can help here.

First of all you have to configure the volume control for your DAC in the device setup.
See screenshot below:

Using Roon Bridge integrated in rooExtend the DSP volume option always works. If your DAC supports Device volume you also can use this. Some USB-DACs offer this option in the device setup even though it doesn’t work. RME ADI-2 is one of candidates. If it does not work go back to DSP volume.

If you have set it up correctly, you should be able to control output volume of your DAC with the volume slider in Roon. If this works for you, you are on a good way :+1:

Next open the settings dialog of the rooNuimo Roon Extension and select the zone you like to control with your Nuimo.

Best DrCWO

Thank you so much for walking through this, resulted in a perfect solution! Really enjoying rooExtend and the nuimo

Cheers

1 Like

Hello Everybody,
To avoid the BT blinking light in the Nuimo, I decided to buy a BT dongle. My choice was for the Tp-Link, but finally I choose the 5.0 version the UB500. Maybe it was a mistake, because with the rooExtend 2.2.1 Beta 4 the Nuimo is always still in the Disconnected status in Roon settings. So I decided to go back to the previous version of rooExtend the 2.2.0. With this version the Nuimo was connected immediately. For a better BT efficiency I decided also to plugged the UB500 dongle with an extension cord to move it away from the RPI, but I still have the blinking Bluetooth light on the Nuimo. My conclusion is that the UB500 is not compatible with the actual version of rooExtend, and the only BT working is the built-in the RPI. Is there a way to made the UB500 working, or do I have to change ?
Thanks for the support.
My system: Roon Core on ROCK 1.8 Build 918 - rooNuimo 1.1.3 - rooExtend 2.2.0 on Raspberry Pi4
Have a good day.
Philippe

Hi @Texas_tattoo,
in the rooExtend Quick Installation Guide I recommended LogiLink BT0037 and TP-Link UB4A. These were tested by me and work fine. As in Linux not all BT chips were supported there is more than a chance that your UB500 may not work.

If you like to get a very long range you can also use this adapter from ZEXMTE which is a 100m USB BT dongle with antenna. It will be supported in the upcoming v2.2.1. One beta user reported it covers a 20m distance at his home.

Sorry, but I think I can’t help you more than this.
Best DrCWO

OK Thanks a lot DrCWO, that’s a very clear answer.
Have a good day.

1 Like

Isn’t there a compatibility list which BT chipsets are supported or will it be always try and error?

Why not use the BT USB sticks I recommended and tested?

Probably anywhere in the net you will find a list of devices compatible with Raspbian that is used in rooExtend.

You can rely on this but I think it is better you use those I already tested.

Best DrCWO

Hello DrCWO,
Is it the right place to post about your extension rooUPnP ?
Thanks

This is the right place, thanks’ for asking :slight_smile:
rooUPnP: Finally a Roon Extension for UPnP Streamers - Audio Gear Talk - Roon Labs Community

Hi @DrCWO, I have a feature or actually a feature extension request.
Would it be possible to extend the “Zoon follows Playback” feature with some way to limit the zones that are being followed? Either possibility to select zones that will be followed or an exclusion list?

I have a few a few zones downstairs where following the active zone would be very useful. But also a pair of devices that are staying always on in the sleeping room. So finally rooNuimo switches to that zone. And when somebody accidentally touches Nuimo it has surprising effects upstairs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I put it on my list but no guarantee it will be realized in near future :grin:

2 Likes

How does the Nuimo work with different roon zones? can 2 nuimo devices control 1 zone? can another control another zone?

Yes, both is possible. Just select the same zone for two Nuimos and it will do. You also can control the same zone with rooNuimo and rooWatch. Changing volume at the Watch the change will also be reflected on the Nuimo display.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Hello DrCWO,
It’s me again from Paris. I finally got the BT dongle from tp-link the UB400. As I told you in a previous post, I plugged the UB400 dongle with an extension cord to move it away from the RPI and to get it very close to the Nuimo (2 meters). But once all the system set in Roon extensions setup (rooExtend, the Nuimo and rooUPnP), I still have the blinking Bluetooth light on the Nuimo. And when the BT disconnection is a little bit longer, I got some shorts cuts in the music. I’m using ethernet connection for both Roon Core on ROCK and for the RPI, of course they are on the same network, but not in the same room. Could you explain to the community how the differents elements talk together, I mean the the ROCK, the RPI with your extensions and the Nuimo ? Thanks a lot for your nice extensions and for your support.
Today my system is: Roon Core on ROCK 1.8 Build 923 - rooNuimo 1.1.4 - rooExtend 2.2.1 rooUPnP 1.2.1 on Raspberry Pi4
Have a good day.
Texas_tattoo

Sure I will do :grin:
I expect the Roon Core to be always on.

• In general for audio playback the Roon Core communicates directly to Roon Ready devices. In your case using rooUPnP this is different. rooUPnP acts as a bridge so Roon Core sends the audio data to rooUPnp running on the Pi. There it is translated to UPnP and sent to your UPnP device. This means audio data is first sent to the Pi and at the same time back from the Pi to your UPnP device. This creates some load on the Ethernet cable but 100MBit will be sufficient.

• rooNuimo also lives on the Pi. If the Pi starts rooNuimo (like rooUPnP) advertises itself to the Roon Core and creates its visible user interface (GUI) within Roon (Settings->Extensions). All Roon extensions use the same protocol for advertisement and GUI. The Roon Core pings the extensions each second to find out if they are still alive. If this ping was not successful it terminates the rooExtensions which in this case got automatically restarted by the License Manager. This termination happens sometimes if you are connected by WiFi but should not happen if you use wired Ethernet. The disconnects can be observed in the logs of rooExtend if you open your browser and enter http://[ip of rooExtend]/log.html.

• Communication from the Nuimo control is via Bluetooth to the BT transmitter of the Pi. If you have a BT dongle installed this communicates with the Nuimo Device. In the Extended settings of rooNuimo you can select if rooNuimo tries to connect to Any Nuimo device or only to the one that is currently connected. If the BT connection got dropped by what reason ever, rooNuimo will be terminated and restarted. In this case it waits for the advertisement of the Nuimo device and connects to it.
    All commands entered with the Nuimo device (volume, start, stop,…) were transported to the Roon core via the Roon extension protocol.

Hope this helps.
Best DrCWO