rooNuimo – best Roon controller ever

OK Ill try it again, :slight_smile:

Just to clarify; 3.0.3 works on the Pi4 right?

Yes, no more on elder Pis like Zero W or Pi 2. Wired Ethernet or WiFi?

@DrCWO Hi - just tried re-flashing the SD card with 3.0.3 and without the BT extender this time, still nothing showing on the network?

If the RPi4 is wired via LAN, the extension should appear after a few minutes.
If the RPi4 is on WLAN, you have to connect your computer to the rooExtend WLAN that should appear after some time and configure your WLAN and password. Use a web browser and navigate to rooExtend.local to do so.

Wonder why,
You run Pi4, wired ethernet?
How much memory?

I will try by myself this afternoon…

Best DrCWO

@DrCWO Its OK got it, was the new WiFi interface. I used to have it wired but recently have it over WiFi.

WiFi I cannot recomend…

I have very stable and strong WiFi network due to it being an apartment and fairly short distances from devices.

if it works for you anything is fine :+1: :smiley:
I saw a lot of trouble with WiFi here in my threads so I don’t recommend. That’s all.

Best DrCWO

Hey doc,

Any eta when we can expect double/triple press functionality and multiple configurable radio stations?

Hi @Anthro,
here my coarse plans for the upcoming releases:

• Release of rooHead, probably end of first quarter 2023.
  • Next a Service Release that will addresses all open “want to have” items like yours above.

With this service release I also have to increase the prices for my Roon Extensions a bit, as all my costs increased a lot this year.

If the Service Release is out (should be till summer) I will start working on my ideas for new Roon Extensions :smiling_face:

These are my ideas:

• rooRaFi which means Roon Radio Fidelity.
    This will become a Roon Extension that can collect metadata from MP3 Web Rradio stations. From this metadata it will build playlists of the collected track informations with Qobuz or Tidal. This means much better audio quality.
    So when you listen to these playlists (of course with a certain time offset), you will hear the curated playlist from the Web Radio in really good quality, and completely without ads and any announcements from the moderator. :+1: :+1:

• rooDRC which means Roon Digital Room Coorection.
    An easy to use Digital Room Correction with good audible results. It should get that good, that I will love to use it in my living Room. I hope I will be able to finish that in 2023 :thinking:

Best DrCWO

1 Like

This sounds like a really nice integration. Looking forward to that!

However you kinda made me a promise that you would have implemented the double/triple button presses in last years version of RooNuimo. :grimacing:

I reckon implementing double and triple presses shouldn’t be that time consuming? :face_with_peeking_eye:

Not really but so much paper work for tax office at the moment and holiday in Jan visiting Africa.
I am sorry but I guess you have to wait a bit longer :sleepy:

Hi, @DrCWO. I hope you’re enjoy the new year and your upcoming holiday!

If I have a vote in things, it would be to stay the course and prioritize bugs and addressing the bluetooth sleep issue that the 3.x release introduced. This isn’t a democracy, though :slight_smile:

Here’s an extension idea for your consideration.

You may be familiar with Home Assistant, which is a popular integration solution for home automation. If you’re not, see: https://www.home-assistant.io

Home Assistant is flexible and programmable. Control devices generate triggers whose behaviors can be controlled and customized. An example would be using one vendor’s “smart switch” to control the behavior of another vendor’s device. The switch generates a trigger event in Home Assistant and the user specified what behavior should occur. The behavior might be a simple action or it might be a complex script.

If you chose to, I believe you could create a rooExtend extension which would publish devices to Home Assistant. This extension could, for example, make Surface Dials, Nuimos, and Space Mice (Mouses?) visible in Home Assistant. Your extension would publish events such as button push, button double push, rotate clockwise, rotate counter clockwise (or just volume up/down).

If you did this, you would enable these hardware devices to become generic controllers. But you would also be enabling more flexibility with respect to Roon control because there is already a Roon Home Assistant integration which causes all Roon endpoints to be visible and controllable in Home Assistant.

We can’t do this in Home Assistant without you or someone else bridging the gap between the bluetooth connectivity of these controllers and the IoT world of Home Assistant. That’s the role that rooExtend can play … bridging these devices to the network.

Whether you make this a feature of your existing extensions or spin up a new one is a decision you’d have to make. It might be interesting to you to see this as an expansion of your market - anyone who wanted to use a Surface Dial, for example, to control something in their home would be a potential customer. Lights, fans, thermostats, window blinds, audio systems, scenes, IFTTT, etc.

Just an idea :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does Home Assistant offer a MQTT broker?
If yes would it be sufficient to have a MQTT integration for the controller?

It does MQTT - Home Assistant

1 Like

I would be very interested in integration with Home Assistant as well. It has a strong following and is very versatile.

1 Like

@GregD - Would you mind sharing an opinion on whether MQTT is the best strategy? It looks inconvenient for users but appears performant due to a broker which maintains a persistent (kept alive) connection. Is that the right read?

1 Like

As I’m not in home automation we need someone how knows more in this respect…

2 Likes

@GregD maintains the Roon Integration for Home Assistant. He’s the domain expert around here.

1 Like