rooNuimo – best Roon controller ever

Well…my CV says so but these days I mostly influence and manage. Does that count? :slight_smile:

I’m not sure I fully understand this. I think perhaps what you’re saying is that at the moment the user enters a Nuimo license, for example, you have no understanding of whether or not a Dial license is active. I can see how that might be the case.

Correct. My suggestion is predicated on the notion that a rooExtend box is likely to be dedicated to either a Nuimo or a Dial and is unlikely to be toggled frequently between the two. Maybe that’s a bias as function of how I how use them.

I get your point about license retention. As a user, I’m less afraid of losing my license because of poor bookkeeping on my end than I am about losing my license because I forget to revoke it. I’ve gone back and forth between versions and even had the auto-restore with a thumb drive not correctly restore a license. I don’t understand your license binding model (maybe it’s just some derivative of MAC address) but I’m always concerned that I’m going to leave a license connected to a device and lose it.

The point I’m poorly making is that I might see forcing a user to revoke one license before setting the other as a feature, not a bug. It reduces the likelihood that a user unintentionally leaves an unused license bound to a device.

All of this is just opinions and tradeoffs and the only opinion that really matters is yours. And that’s ok with me because you are making outstanding products.

The Dials and Nuimos I use have fundamentally improved my Roon experience. Not just for me - they’ve made it so that if I am driving music selection in a common area of our house, my wife can influence volume without having to spin up the Roon app. This made Roon acceptable to my family, and for that, I’m very grateful. I don’t know if I’ve said that over the past but I’m very grateful to you and @Klaus_Engel .

1 Like

Hi Greg,

The licenses are bound to the CPU serial number not the MAC. This means you lose the license only, if you damage your Raspberry PI. In every other situation you can restart with the Raspberry working before. This can be done even with a fresh SD-card-Image! Just enter your License Key. It will be accepted and after that you will be able to revoke it.

Got it.

Thanks for the praise :smiling_face: :smiling_face: :+1: :smiley: :smiley:

Best DrCWO

I do wonder whether there’s a way you could make this a little better. And I’m no coder, so feel free to ignore, in fact you probably should. But I can’t help myself.

Do your extensions or RooExtend “phone home” periodically? Could you associate a license with a unique CPU serial number each month, and if a different serial number tries to associate you basically “revoke” the other one the next time it tries to phone home? (That’s basically the Roon license model - I have two cores with one license, and only one can be authorized at a time). Again, no idea if you can make RooExtend “phone home” or count on that being consistent and non-spoofable without too much effort to you. I just live in fear of a dog eating my RPi. (I recently actually had a board fry; luckily it was running Ropieee, so there was no paid license to go poof too).

Thanks for all you do!

Thank you for clarifying this! I’ve wondered about it for a long time.

Thanks for hearing me out on the feedback. It’s really such a minor thing but it’s fun to have the opportunity to chat about a product with its author.

How about a change of topic? I’ve posted previously about my struggles trying to get a Nuimo working well in our main bath. We have ceiling speakers and we like to listen to music during mornings and evenings sometimes in a bath :slight_smile:

I tried very hard to get a Nuimo working with either a Pi or a Nuimo hub tucked away somewhere in the adjacent bedroom. I tried a number of locations, attaching a few feet up a wall (behind a dresser), all with and without the bluetooth antenna you recommend. Just couldn’t get it to work.

So here’s where I’ve landed and my wife is comfortable with it, which is a necessary and good thing. I’m still on the hunt for an all white cable to connect the Nuimo itself, but this’ll do for now:

In case anyone missed it, the stand is a 3d print of a model contributed by someone much earlier in this thread. I used Shapeways to print but it’s easy to print from any of the online services.

Maybe this’ll give someone an idea for a similar setup.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

Thank your for the PM dialogue around the user interface - keep up the good work! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

I personally run no Server. This is all done by Sellcodes. And yes, rooExtend checks licenses on startup and every day once.

I can’t do this using Sellcodes as my license provider

As I use Sellcodes which is a widely used platform the risk that a dog eats up your PI is minimal. This exactly is the reason why I only run a webserver and nothing else. I don’t want to handle all the security precautions Sellcodes does by design.

To avoid any false software on your PI I use the standard well tested Linux package management with cryptographic hashes for private and public keys. This means that software not signed by me cannot be installed in rooExtend.

Hope this helps.
Best DrCWO

1 Like

Well, good idea :+1:
This is the support thread for rooNuimo.

The general thread for rooExtend is here:
rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions - Audio Gear Talk - Roon Labs Community

BTW Nice solution in your bathroom :+1:
Best DrCWO

2 Likes

A new offer
Senic Nuimo Control in schwarz für Sonos / Philips Hue oder RooNuimo - Weiß!! | eBay

HI DrCWO
I just bough a Nuimo …loving it
everything works great ! just having a question regarding the “disconnect” of the Nuimo once the battery is gone …
lets say I would recharge it … but I am still not able to connect … I need to reboot my Rasperry4 then I can use it
any work around ? (using a Mac mini )
how long should last the battery in a Nuimo ?
is there any way to make it last as long as possible …
thanks for the different tips I
Phil

Hi, @Phil_88.

If you typically use your Nuimo in a single location, you can 3d print a stand that allows for a charging cable to remain connected at all times. I’ve done this in a couple of locations. Here’s a link to the post on this thread that references the stand. I’ve printed using plastics from ShapeWays and the stands I have look more refined than what’s pictured in the original post:

The model this post references can be downloaded from thingiverse and uploaded to the printing service of your choice.

You mention a Mac mini. If you have a spare USB or USB-C port on the back of your mini, you can use it as a charging port for a dial. I do this with a Mac Studio on my desk.

It’s also possible that you’d benefit from replacing the battery in your controller. There are posts on this thread discussing that, too.

Hope this helps.

HI Greg ,
Thanks for your kind reply :slight_smile:
What is the “usual” lasting time for a Nuimo that is fully charged ?
I will print one of those stands
mine stay “maximum” 2 days .(little use)
is that normal ?
thanks a lot
Phil

I don’t recall how long my battery lasted. Perhaps someone else can help. I have two Nuimos which I use in places where it’s convenient to keep them connected to power. The combination of a printed stand and a nice, braided color matched cable work well for me.

I also love rooDials. They run on AA batteries which last a very, very long time. Well over a year in my experience. I use those in locations where a power cable is impractical.

I got about 5-7 days on my Nuimo remotes before I had a friend 3D print a stand which meant I have left them both plugged in since then.

1 Like

thanks
just updated my Nuimo to 2.5.0
by the way I needed to use DEVICE FIRMWARE UPDATE and not the nRF Toolbox (nRF Toolbox seems to have a bug right now as far as using a zip file to upload)
Question : does the flying function could be implemented one day ? was just wondering …
thanks !
Phil

Hi @Phil_88,
it depends how often you play music :wink:

If music is playing the Nuimo stays active to be responsive. If you watch the display you see the playback symbol flashing dimmed each 4 to five seconds. This keeps the Nuimo alive.

My Nuimo lasts for about 16 hours of playback time before batterie gets low.

I there is no playback the Nuimo is sleeping. In this state it laste very very long. I guess sveral days.

Hope this helps.
Best DrCWO

I played around with it but the risk to get sudden increases volume is too big. This may hurt your speakers and so I decided not to implement ist.

Best DrCWO

Where do i get the latest software versions from fo my Numio and Pi4?

I’m still on the following:

EDIT: OK So just found the link to 3.0.3 - where is 3.0.4?

3.04 is only available as an OTA (it’s the first release delivered that way)

If you install 3.0.3 then I think there is a button to do the update on the web page, otherwise it will happen overnight and was very seem less.

1 Like

thanks, I’ve just installed 3.0.3 and now roon cant see any extensions? is there something I’m missing here?

No it came right up for me.
First boot up can take about 15 minutes if I remember correctly as I ended up restarting mine and I had to burn another card after that.

Patience is someone else’s virtue says every audiophile :grimacing: