rooNuimo – best Roon controller ever

Thore,
I thank you for your feedback regarding programming the SD-Card with the Mac. For mac users a really helpful posting :+1:
We plan to enhance the radio selection in the next release.

1 Like

Eike, if you don’t overwrite the original SD-card of the Hub the whole thing is reversible. You just have to cahange back the SD-card and the USB-Stick inside. But you cannot close the holes in the rubber at the bottom any more…

Hi DrCWO
Out of curiosity were you able to use the “fly” gesture controls on the Nuimo ? Any plans to include them in your pack ? if not done yet
Have a nice day
Clem

I guess they are implemented for next- and previous track. Just try. Long touch on top and then this should be enabled…

Hi there,
Did anyone try to gently pull off the rubber on the back of the Nuimo hub rather than cut it off ?
I feel bad using a cutting knife of this sleek piece of gear ! would rather pull off the rubber / open / close / glue back the rubber

1 Like

I’m using with a rPi, volume goes to 100 anytime I touch the dial. Any thoughts?

Thank you for your work!
I was fortunate to order the Senic Nuimo Starter Kit from the Sonos US site. Modification and setup were as easy as you demonstrated in your videos, and I successfully implemented RooNuimo.
I use four Ropieee zones which I routinely group into one zone. The Nuimo with RooNuimo beautifully controls a single instance but does not work when another is grouped. Is there the prospect down the road for the feature to control of grouped zones (If I’ve read the posts correctly, RooDial has this capability.)?
Patrick

Nuch of rooNuimo was implemented by @Klaus_Engel but I expected it workd as rooDial. I will get into it and fix it in the next release.

Sorry for that DrCWO

I have two zone grouped and rooNuimo works perfectly. Did you reselect the grouped zone in the rooNuimo settings?
Can you be a bit more specific? What kind of zones are you grouping (fixed, incremental, absolute volume)?

Hi @Klaus_Engel,

I am using my Nuimo controller with rooExtend on RPi 4 since several weeks now and I observed two areas for improvement.

1. Reliability: Every one or two days the Nuimo loses connection to the RPi. The bluetooth symbol shows up. The onyl solution I found to fix the lost connection is to power down and up the RPi. I am using the external USB-BT adapter TP-Link UB400.
  2. Operating time: I have to recharge the Nuimo controller every two or three days. Senic states on their web site, that the Nuimo should last about one month. I can observe, that the controller shows up every 5 to 7 seconds the play symbol (>). Is this normal? I do not need this feedback.

Are you aware of this observations?
Can I change something to improve this?

Hi @Henrik_Lampe, your observation is right!
Running the Nuimo with the Senic software the operation time is longer. Why?

Senics allows the Nuimo to deep sleep most of the time. Doing this the Nuimo does not accept any rotation on the wheel until it wakes up. This is a big drwback and looking into different forums this was a really CON regarding the Nuimo.

My strategy is different here. I keep the Nuimo alive as long as music plays. Therefore it is always responsive during playback. This is accomplished by sending the Play-Symbol every some seconds as a heartbeat which prevents the Nuimo to go to sleep. If you stop playback the heartbeat is turned off and the Nuimo goes into deep sleep.

This means. The more music you play the faster the battery drains. Mine lasts about one week as I did not play music all day long.

I hope you understand that I had to make a tradeoff between Battery life and responsiveness and I voted for responsiveness giving a better user experience.

Best DrCWO

Thanks for the explanation and background information.
More important for me is the reliability (point 1).

@Patrick_Reilly just to let you know. @Klaus_Engel located the issue. Fix will come with the next release. Thank you helping us to improve rooNuimo.
Best DrCWO

1 Like

Your prompt attention is much appreciated. Do you have a possible ETA for the update?

About 1: I also have these occasional Bluetooth disconnects. Am running it with a RPi Zero W, which indeed needs a reboot to connect again.

How far is your Nuimo from the Pi Zero W?

It’s about 2 metres, so I think that should be ok. The pi is in a plastic case.
I think it only happens after I boot the Roon server pc the first time of the day. The pi is on 24h a day.

Can someone summarize the current state of what is the best Roon control option is with these various Dial and Nuimo products? It seems from a glance that the company behind the Nuimo is not making the hardware any longer so why would that be a viable option? Or is just the hub that is being discontinued and people are using a Pi device as a substitute? Or should I just go for the Microsoft Dial hardware?

Would be nice to not have to piece together what to do from al the various threads. Thanks.

@Michael_Grant, I will try to do so.

The Surface Dial is a good solution. As it can only be pressed or twisted it lacks a bit of functionality. You can assign double, tripple and long press actions but that’s it. So if you assign press to Play/Stop double press to next and tripple press to previous title you are done. There is no chance to assign mute or shuffle as no more gestures are available. Regarding haptics it is nice but not perfect regarding tolerances. Most of my customers voted for this solution as it is inexpensive and does the job.

The SpaceMouse Wireless has a much batter haptic. It is heavy and really well done. You can assign more gestures here as the knob can be pressed, twisted and also shifted in four directions. In addition to that you have two buttons that can be assigned. The SpaceMouse is a rock solid device and with its wireless receiver a bit more reliable than the other solutions that rely on Bluetooth. Made for 3D CAD it is a bit uncommon for HiFi. It is a good but more expensive solution with enhanced functionality for people who like to have something with a more technical attitude.

The Nuimo is discontinued but still sold by Sonos for a lot of money only in combination with the Hub. Using this you don’t need a Raspberry as the hub can be modified to run rooExtend. On the other hand I was able to acquire a bunch of white bulk Nuimos directly from Senic. I will offer them soon for 150$ with worldwide shipping included. So availability is still given. For this bulk Nuimo you need a Raspberry to make it run with rooExtend. The Nuimo has marvelous haptics with zero tolerance. The top plate of the Nuimo comes with a capacitive touch field and also can be pressed. Below it there is a dot matrix display. For gesture assignment you have the surface that can be pressed and also three capacitive touch points that can be touched long and short time to assign different actions. With its display in my eyes this is the best solution to control Roon. I prefer the Nuimo compared to the other devices and operate it in my living room.

Hope this helps.
Best DrCWO

4 Likes

Hi @Klaus_Engel & @DrCWO

my daily life with Nuimo is not satisfying due to the lack of reliability. I often had to reboot the RPi to get back the connection to the Nuimo.
Are you working on an improvement of rooExtent software for RPi or do I have to change something on my side?
Thanks for help.