rooUPnP: Finally a Roon Extension for UPnP Streamers

Do you have any plans to launch the x86 version of this awesome extension?

Not really. raspberry is so cheap you should give it a try…

I see. The idea was if I can have the binary, I can simply install them on an Ubuntu VM. This extension looks promising, I’ll get a Pi 4B and try it.

The binary is for Pi only so getting a Pi is the easiest way.
Please see my second post here.
rooUPnP: Finally a Roon Extension for UPnP Streamers - Audio Products - Roon Labs Community
You find an evaluation license number for free. It can be used till I decide to finish the evalualtion period.

Hi DrCWO, I tried to pay the RoonUpnp license $35, but the Sellcode site is not directing me to either the credit card payment or Paypal, do you know if the site is down?

Ken

ok just got it working again, all good now, thanks DrCWO

1 Like

Excellent piece of software - streaming Roon to Naim NDS flawlessly via Raspberry Pi 3. Thank you.

1 Like

Dear @DrCWO,

I would like your help to put RooExtend Upnp to run in my system.

Yesterday i bought and install the rooUpnp license i a Pi3, but Roon could not find any Upnp device in my network (but i have ManY).

Please see below some screenshots:

Luiz,
I wonder why. Anything seems to be fine.

• Do you have a logitec media server (squeeze box server) running? If yes shut it down. It cannot run in parallel with rooUPnP.
  • Have you ever rebooted after licensing rooUPnP. Please reboot.
  • do you have more than one network segment in your local network?

Please mail me the output of http://rooExtend.local/service.html to info@definiteaudio.de

@DrCWO thanks for your help.

I Just uninstall ALL my LMS and restart all equipament, and worked!

Now i can see the UPnP equipament in my network, as you can see below (using the Samsung IP).

I already tested with my Devialet, PS Audio Directstream With bridge II, and CXN V1. All worked well, and played with quality. Still testing With more detail each one.

1 Like

For the NDS is there a technical reason why bridging to upnp is preferable to adding a roon endpoint for SQ ? I’ve been using a basic Allo endpoint and only just realised that there are potentially major improvements to be had with high end streamers and power supplies. Does bridging bypass all of this ?

Mark

Yes, my experience suggests that bridging does bypass all of this.

As you have discovered different streamers with different power supplies can have ide differences in sound quality.

For me I cannot detect any difference between playing via Roon or via the Naim app using UPNP for locally held music.

For Tidal however Roon is a step up in performance using the bridge as Roon sends PCM to the NDS whereas Tidal sends FLAC to the NDS when using the Naim app. It’s well known that the legacy Naim streamers are susceptible to variances in sound quality caused by noise within the streamer and any additional processing that happens in the NDS can cause this, hence the recommendation to send PCM/WAV to the device rather than FLAC as the conversion from FLAC to WAV within the streamer adds small amounts of noise due to the processing.

I now use QoBuz and have compared QoBuz to locally held music and cannot tell the difference.

The Naim NDS has always been one of the best streamers regardless of price and this workaround to Roonify the device extends its useful life for many years.

2 Likes

Brilliant answer thanks. Maybe you can answer this … Tidal is great for it’s depth of content but I’ve always struggled with it’s SQ to the the extent that anything I liked a lot would need to be purchased on CD or from HDTracks. I recently subscribed to Qobuz and everything has changed. There is one particular album that sounded so bad through Tidal that I refused to play it until the CD was available. Via Qobuz it sounds so good that I won’t bother with the CD. This is all through Roon BTW. Am I imagining all of this ? Also is the 555’s Roon server legit ?

What do you mean by this. Naim don’t do any Roon servers only there own uniti core which is upnp.

Oops, sorry, I meant client.

All the latest range of streamers and all in one Uniti range are fully Roon Ready and they work superbly. One of the best Roon implementations for me as it’s rock steady and just works.

This is fantastic. Thank you for creating this software. I’ve got a legacy Naim streamer and have been debating whether to get one of the Roon2Upnp bridge devices. But this seems to be the best and most affordable option. Looking forward to hear when the option to send data info to the streamer screen will be available. Then I will be buying this software and a Pi4 :pray:

@Trickydickie, how have you got PCM set in this extension, when I set PCM in extension and in Roon setup I have problems in playing tracks with multiple bit rates. This is to NAC272. also problem with Roon radio playing.
When both outputs set to 24 bit FLAC, there are no issues. I down sample to 96k to avoid 192k problem previously experienced with Naim in UPNPtoLMS solution.
Hopefully @DrCWO can advise what stream is converting when. I recall reading that FLAC switch was the default.

Thanks

CK

You should use FLAC in the Roon setting.
In the Extension setting you can use PCM. Doing that, Roon sends FLAC to rooUPnP and rooUPnP converts it to PCM so the Streamer gets PCM which sonically seems to be the better option.

Hi, I’ve got this working and curious about the signal path. This seems to show that even though I’ve set the max sample rate for the NDS to 192kHz an album that has a source of 192kHz is being converted to 44.1kHz ?