rooWatch - Smart control for Roon using Apple Watch and Siri

Thank you for your research and the given examples. I made similar experiences with Siri in general.
Maybe we can collect all working wordings for controlling Roon here or/and Dr. CWO can add them to rooWatch manual.
However I my case I use the same commands with different reactions from Siri: “spiel Easy on me” (play Easy on me) plays that Adele song with Roon and in the next situation I get “track is not available on Apple Music”.

This is a good idea to add som practical examples. In the Quick installation Guide I have a chapter called “How to use Siri with rooWatch”. There you find the information I got from @Klaus_Engel who told me what commands should work. Maybee this also helps for the start.

When I tested it I changed the language of my phone (and watch) to English. But I had to change the Siri setting in the watch also to English.

One other thought.
How do you activate Sir? I did it by pressing the digital crown. Maybe if you activate by “Hey Siri” in one case the watch took up the command (if it works) and in the other case the iPhone took up the command (if it did not work). Please try to change the Siri setting to Crown press and retry.

1 Like

Thank you @DrCWO, even if set up and licensing were slightly fiddly, now that it is done and I have bought the license I can enjoy the watch app which is working very well in spite of the occasional need to relaunch and the Siri issues / clashes with Apple Music described above. Best, William

1 Like

@DrCWO when you get sent back to the license page there is a typo on the word license

Your licese key is: 068XXXXXXXXX

I think its the same typo on all the license pages

Thanks’ for the hint. It was in ALL the pages. Fixed it :clap:

1 Like

I already did it. My iPhone and my HomePod mini are also around and they react on “Hey Siri”. In order to avoid confusion during testing, I configured rooWatch and Siri to “Crown press only”.

What about the language? Do you mean, that Roon and rooWatch are functional with Siri language set to English only?

I hope @Klaus_Engel can help here. I don’t know…

Siri supports different languages and we have not restricted Siri in any way. So please try different languages.
We only tested English, but it should work in any language. Please check the phrases Siri supports:
(Note that some phrases are restricted to Apple Music, such as the podcast phrases or playing on different HomePods. We will improve Siri over time, i.e. the next version 1.52 will probably allow you to play music by genre using Siri).

German:

English:

French:

Spanish:

@DrCWO . Great app definitely going to go for the yearly version but can I ask for some assistance with a display anomaly.

If you look at all my screenshots above they all have the track playing text at the bottom. For example.

I was just doing some cooking in the kitchen and played a Roon daily mix and when I looked at my phone to see what was plating the text was not there.

Now the text shows briefly then disappears

I don’t think I’ve changed any settings that would account for the change in text display.

Thanks

John

.sjb

This is a feature requested by some users.
You must have accidentally tapped on the top of the screen. Enable/Disable this behaviour by tapping on the top of the screen (rooWatch logo). There is currently no setting to enable/disable this behaviour.

I am looking into disabling the crown and touches when the user lowers the wrist to prevent unwanted interactions. Apple makes it really hard to detect though.

2 Likes

That’s it - thanks for the help!

.sjb

1 Like

from the Quick Installation Guide: “Play album Dark Side of the Moon by Ping Floyd” :sweat_smile:
This might work anyway. In my case Siri detects “Dark Site” instead of “Dark Side”.

What type of Raspberry are you using?

I’ve solved it. The flash didn’t work first time. RooWatch now working but RooUPnP isn’t visible any more in Licence Manager. I know I’m trying to use an ancient RPi Model B so does that mean I can’t use the latest RooUPnP?

John,
this is a very slow device and my concern was that sending audiodata in both directions with 24/192 will not work in this old model. So I disabled it. See here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZTUWayG77972gsHvKGOWHltuBkEuxKwo/view?usp=sharing

Would you please tell me which revision you used before and if rooUPnP worked with no issues at 24/192?

I was previously using 1.0.4 and, yes, it worked fine for all bitrates up to 192/24

So - I now have a problem. I like both extensions but can only choose to have one working at any one time! I’m not sure why it’s thought necessary to disable RooUPnP for older Pi models, given that it’s been made very clear that a later model is preferred. Please can you restore the facility?

That’s great :grinning:
Please ty this beta image and report:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Ceivg7hnZgstV-QQbGrAPFCX-3nvNc7/view?usp=sharing
Best DrCWO

Thanks. I’ll try it tomorrow.

1 Like

DrCWO — watch works great, thank you. Is there a way to access my Roon History? I often look back in there to relisten to tracks I’ve previously played. Thanks. JCR