rooWatch - Smart control for Roon using Apple Watch and Siri

Unfortunately the Roon API does not provide access to bookmarks:
https://roonlabs.github.io/node-roon-api/

That’s a real shame. I’ve opened a new feature request, but I doubt it will be done any time soon.

OK, i fixed this problem with tags. They are now working.Fix coming in next update of rooWatch App.

1 Like

You should try to create a Roon Extension (see Roon Extension Manager) and connect the AppleWatch app to the extension. Having a RaspberryPi as bridge shouldn’t be necessary.

Have a look at:

rooWatch 1.03 (internal version 1.53) was just released in the AppStore with the following new features and fixes:

• new option to change volume on playback only
  • new option to pause playback on incoming phone call
  • fixed tags browsing
  • support for new upcoming genre playback Siri command (“Hey Siri, play some Jazz music”, support will be coming soon with a rooExtend update, probably v2.2.1 or 2.3.0)
2 Likes

is there an option to remove the confirmatory audio feedback (the chime that sounds when you tap or swipe?)

In the Watch companion App on the iPhone go to “Sound & Haptics” and enable “Silent Mode”.

To completely disable haptics, swipe down in rooWatch and disable “Haptik Feedback” in the Options menu to remove both haptics and sound feedback.

thanks, that does work for what I asked, but it also makes the watch completely silent. I guess there’s no other way for now? is that an apple limitation ì suppose?

Yes, i think “silent” haptics mode is a system wide option that cannot be controlled by the app.

Unfortunately, the Roon browse API does not provide access to recently added content.

1 Like

Klaus rooWatch is spectacular! Had it up-and-running in no time. It’s beautifully designed, responsive and intuitive. Really well done.

This is a huge improvement to my portable rig. I use a portable headphone amplifier + DAC with an iPhone + Roon for portable listening. The downside of this setup is that it’s awkward to get in and out of your pocket to change volume or track. Then I inevitably bend a USB cable (and sometimes damage the device), or jostle it loose and interrupt playback, or hit volume up on the phone and blow out my eardrums. Using rooWatch allows me to leave the portable rig in my pocket.

This is a must have for a portable rig!

2 Likes

Great to hear! Feels really good to have satisfied customers and being able to enhance your listening experience.

Hi,
I can‘t see the Album and Track Titles anymore on my Watch. Not sure, if it is since the update to WatchOS 8.5
Anybody else with this issue or do I anything wrong ?

This caught me out too. Tapping the top of the watch screen toggles titles on and off.

.sjb

1 Like

Yes, just tap on the rooWatch logo to toggle the display of artist and track info.

1 Like

Ah, thank you John and Klaus. Works again :blush:

1 Like

Can’t solve this one on my own so pls send the troops.

I had to place the rooExtend RPi somewhere else. So I did. After connecting it up it was running, I can connect to the webpage of the thing.
Licences are visible in the Roon extension manager.
However, the app on the Watch keeps connecting (“Connecting…”) and does not connect no matter how long I wait. Also the rooWatch extension does not show up in the Roon extension settings page.
I removed licences, reset the rooExtend instance on the Pi and re-added the licences. Deleted the app on the Watch and reinstalled it. No joy. Basically the rooWatch extension isn’t discovered even though it is running on the app and is licenced.

How to fix this?

• Reboot Your Raspberry Pi
  • Open the rooExtend License Manager within Roon and find the IP-Number of your Raspberry Pi at the end of the settings dialog.
  • Open your browser and enter: http://[ip of your Raspberry Pi]/log.html
  • Send what you got there by e-mail to info (at) definiteaudio (dot) de.

Best DrCWO

rooWatch 1.04 (internal version 1.54) has been released in the Apple AppStore. This version fixes an issue, where the cover art could flicker when the preferred zone was unavailable.

1 Like

rooExtend v2.2.1 is out now

Starting with the rooWatch App version 1.03 (internal 1.53) this adds Siri genre support. You can now say things like

“Hey Siri, play some Jazz music”
which plays Jazz in Roon Radio (Tidal or Qobuz)

if you say,
“Hey Siri, play some Jazz music shuffled”
it will play Jazz shuffled from your Roon library.

Siri supports the following genres:

Since the Siri music genres do not perfectly match the Roon genres, we will continue to optimise and improve this feature in the rooWatch App.

How can you help us?
We need some mapping from Siri genres to Roon genres. For Example, there is no “Rock” genre in Roon, it’s called “Rock/Pop”. So if you say “Hey Siri, play some Rock music”, you certainly don’t want a Pop song to be played. This is why there is a mapping table in the rooWatch app, which currently maps “Rock” to the Roon genre “Album Rock”.
With your help we will extend this table. If your favourite genre does not work as expected, just tell us which Siri genre you want to have mapped to which Roon genre and we will add this to the table.

Final Note: You can only play genres that are in your library, since the Roon Browse API does not provide access to other genres. So, for example, if you do not have any classical music in your library, you cannot say “Hey Siri, play some classical music”, even though your Tidal or Qobuz subscription features such music.

1 Like