rooWatch - Smart control for Roon using Apple Watch and Siri

Having my share of problems -

Don’t understand where to find the name of the rooExtend box

Also when going to Settings==>Extensions==rooWatch, I get this -

According to the Quick Installation Guide of RooExtend under the RooWatch section, I need to go to the rooWatch app, slide my finder from top of screen to bottom to get a menu and with a crown twist to find a place to enter an IP. When I go to RooWatch app on my watch, all I get is a complaint about a lost connection. A finger slide does nothing.

Since so many people have installed RooWatch without any problems, I take full responsibility for my ignorance, but still the 7 day test clock is ticking.

RooExtend in my router software -

All setting in your Pi seem to be fine. Have you setup the rooWatch App according to the instructions in my video?

After the complaint you can press dismiss and then sliding down should work.

Is your Apple Watch and your iPone in the same network as your router (WiFi connected for Apple Watch and iPhone)?

Thanks for you quick reply. Yes, I followed the instructions in the Quick Start guide and after looking at your vid, there was nothing further I had to do.

Hmm, after dismiss and sliding done, I just get a blank screen.

Yes. For the hell-of-it, I also rebooted my router. I’m currently sitting in the same room as my router, so it isn’t a question of WiFi strength

Thanks.

Edit: OK, doesn’t make sense but after another reboot of the router, I am now getting the Options menu on the watch. Now, all I have to do is put up with entering numbers in the watche’s Scribble screen.

I’m new to all this, the watch seems to update automatically.

To update rooExtend is it the downloading and flashing process again?

Thanks

.sjb

Correct :+1:

If you plug in a USB-Stick before updating the SD-Card our License Keys can be saved. Using this you don’t have to re-enter them after the update.
Watch the ststus-line of the License Manager after plugging the USB stick. It tells you when it can be removed.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

I am getting familiar with the rooWatch app. And while there are some occasional bugs (haptic feedback from the Digital Crown disappears when entering the options in the watch app), it looks very promising.

There is one thing I can’t seem to get my head around. In your instruction video it shows you have the options to search your library after double pressing the playing screen. After you have selected Library → Search you get a scribble menu on your watch where you can type to search. I don’t seem to get this option. Instead I get a “No results” bar as shown below. Any idea on how to fix this?

afbeelding

afbeelding

afbeelding

Thanks for reporting this. Something changed in Roon browsing in the latest update. I can reproduce the problem with the search, fixed it and will release a new version soon.

Hello Klaus, that’s great support! I assume this fix is released in combination with a new rooExtend version?

Hi Anthro, no this fix will just require an update of the watch App. It will be coming in version 1.05 (internal version 1.55). I will probably submit it for Apple review later this evening.

Awesome, cheers!

1 Like

Version 1.05 (internal 1.55) of rooWatch is out now. This fixes the problem with search in Roon browsing.

As a reminder, you can also use Siri to search your library. Make sure you have enabled Siri for rooWatch in your watch settings (Settings->Siri->Use With Siri->rooWatch), then say for example:
“Hey Siri, find the album Thriller in rooWatch”
or press the digital crown and say
“Find the album Thriller in rooWatch”

There appears to have been an update (1.54) of rooWatch in the AppStore yesterday. But it doesn’t seem to fix the search issue. By your post I assume you have send another update to the AppStore?

The update that fixes the problem is 1.05 (1.55 internal as seen in the options). If you have automated updates enabled, it should install the new version automatically.

1 Like

The update has come through and I can confirm that the search issue has been fixed. I got a request though, when searching for an album I believe it’s more attractive and practical to browse through album covers compared to browsing through text. Especially when albums have long titles this doesn’t seem to work very intuitive.

New owner of an apple watch here. I had a raspberry pi to spare, so I tried out rooextend and roowatch…and it’s great! I especially like the volume control with the watch crown. I wonder how I got along without it until now.

4 Likes

ordered an apple watch but don’t have it yet; stumbled upon this thread… rooWatch seems very cool, and I’m looking forward to playing with it.

Curious, does the extension allow one watch to select from different Pi endpoints? (I have a few.) Or can it only control a single IP address?

Yup, you can select different endpoints or even have the watch app automatically switch to controlling whichever endpoint is actively playing. The IP designation is just for the address of the box running the actual extension.

2 Likes

I don’t know if the Roon API would allow it but if it did it would be great if one could like the playing track on RooWatch.

.sjb

1 Like

On the Apple Watch app in my iPhone, I went to Settings/Siri but do not see Use with Siri there. This feature sounds great- what am I doing wrong?

On your Apple Watch, navigate to Settings->Siri-> Use with Siri