Ropieee - Enable wifi

well - I hope that I do not do something like this too many times - you can spend your time better :slight_smile: Thank you for the nice response - and merry x-mas from a happy user

1 Like

@spockfish Harry…Happy New year… my LCD version is on 078 and wifi box is enabled and I hit commit but on the next screen I can’t type an SSID or password in…how is this supposed to be working?

08 PM

Happy new year!

Save changes, reload the web page and go back to the network tab. Second time you can enter that additional information.

So does that mean that the lan is always still active as long as a cable is there at least?

yes. lan takes precedence over wifi.

Works like a charm…well at least for non up sampled data rates…and display of zone play data screen info.

does the Static work for both network ports or only the LAN based…? If so then Wired seems bit of a confusing title.

58 PM

Static configuration works (for now) only on wired.

Has RoPieee been updated with any additional wifi support, since the above comments?

Eg:

• Does RoPieee support a USB wifi dongle ?

• Does RoPieee support DHCP for wifi ? (I’m not sure I’m interpreting the “static” limitation listed above correctly, but just to make sure.)

Background: I purchased an Allo Boss with wifi dongle (well, 2 actually). They’re running ok with DietPi, using the wifi dongles bundled by Allo. But I’d prefer to use RoPieee to run these devices.

thanks!

No, nothing changed wrt WiFi.

What type of dongles do you have?

It’s this one from Allo (300 Mbps, 802.11n, USB2.0, 2T2R).

It’s hard to tell the manufacturer, I think it’s a Realtek device

@spockfish. I’ve got to say that you have done a great job. Played around with volumio, but really like the simplicity of Ropieee. I would like the ability to have Spotify, Chromecast or Airplay, but understand that moves away from the simplicity that makes this work.

I’ve just tried this with WiFi and it sounds a touch better than with the wired network, does that make sense as the Ethernet comes in over the same bus as the USB which is my output?

I too find WiFi sounds better than Ethernet. Maybe because WiFi does not share the same USB bus?

2 Likes

I’d like to comment here. Using a Pi, with WiFi and an ifi USB iSilencer and Ropieee, this sounds as good, if not better than the Allo Usbridge. Got frustrated with Volumio and DietPi and decided to go back to the stability and ease of use that Ropieee brings. As in, I’m not rebooting it and having to ssh in to it to get it working. Now just enjoying the music…

2 Likes

New Years resolution

Play music not computers …

1 Like

Amen to that

Hi,

I want to stop of using my laptop as a RoonBridge renderer as a source for my MOJO during my IEM bed time listening session. Want to give a shot with a dedicated renderer (exclusively Roon). POLY is still not stable, so pass on. An Allo Sparky+USBBridge or an Raspi+DigiOneSignature look very promising. Your comment grap my attention due to the fact that you don’t need a HAT, a double PS or with a batteries pack (in case of DigiOne signature), but just a good power supply, and a USB dongle signal cleaner (ifi in your case). This is a big pro because you can play DSD over the DigiOne solution.

So my question, RasPi, in wifi mode, with the ifi USB iSilencer cleaner, do you get a 100% of the time, a stable, zero drop-out, zero crackling, gapless, playing session, in MQA, DSD128, FLAC-ALAC 24/192 mode ?

Tkx a lot for your input comment.

Hi Matthieu

I don’t have any issues at all. The one thing that I will say is that my wifi router is very close to the raspberry pi, which probably aids in the connection stability.

If you are across the other side of the house that may not be true.

And for the cost of the pi ($35) and the iSilencer ($50) and the iFi power supply ($50), it isn’t too big an expense. I actually spent more than that on the audioquest usb cable!

tkx for your input Bevan,

About wifi, in case of problem, I’ve an access to a RJ45 in-wall plug in my bedroom, I can use a STP/Cat7 shielded cable if needed to reach that plug, so I can resolve any wifi issue by using Ethernet. I prefer to eliminate all noises that can possibly come from a router through ethernet network by using WiFi.

At this price, maybe that can be a good start to test the water. But cost saving is not necessary the 1st criteria for me. If a solution came with a lot of pain, or by choosing the wrong camp (SPDIF vs USB), I prefer put little more and be sure I’ll not live with drops, need to reboot, reflash/re-install the OS. I was near to pull the trigger for USBBridge/DietPi, but I read somewhere that some had problems with update the OS, so that put me on the fence to go with that direction. Does Ropieee is more stable than DietPi ? Is it a question of hardware i.e RasPi vs Sparky ? or about the OS ?

Cheers.
Matthieu.

I have found that Ropieee on the Raspberry Pi is very stable.

In my experience, using both Diet Pi and Volumio on the Usbridge, it is less so. I believe that may be to do with the fact that the Sparky board is using a much older Linux kernel. Ropieee isn’t supported on the Sparky because of the old kernel.

Particularly with Diet Pi, I had to use SSH and make adjustments and got intermittent pausing part way through a song. I believe that may have been that there was a problem between the Sparky and the DAC in my PS Audio Sprout 100. YMMV with different DACs.

Outside if Ropieee, I have only used Volumio on the Pi. It is more usable here, however, Ropieee is dedicated to one thing and for me the better fit. It just works. Try Volumio if you want to add Spotify Connect. Both are free to try and flashing then to the SD card isn’t too difficult.

The Pi is limited in that the Ethernet and USB are both in the same bus, so noise from one can cause problems, that for me is part of the reason that the WiFi sounds better.

If money is no object, something like a Bluesound Node 2i or a Sonore Micro or Ultra Rendu, might be there better option. Darko has reviews on the Sonore products.

Thank you for sharing your experience about Sparky-DietPi / RasPi-Ropieee that help to take the right direction. The Sonore MicroRendu is on my list too effectively.