RoPieee - Feature requests

Good to know! I’ll give some feedback here when I get it.

@Henry_McLeod,

Could you keep me in the loop? I’ve not been able to test the device myself, so I really want to make sure RoPieee support is fine.

Thanks!

OK. Delivery is a while away I suspect but I’ll report in when it lands.

1 Like

For the best support from Harry, maybe @Orchard_Audio could send Harry a unit? Shouldn’t be too difficult.

I don’t have one to spare right now. Can send one for evaluation as soon as it becomes available. Will let you know. Probably in about 3 weeks.

2 Likes

Hi to all, and Kudos to the developer of RoPiee! Thanks for that work.

I have seen this request on another thread, but it somehow seemed to be forgotten.

Is there a possibility to add RF Remote (or RF keyboard) capability to RoPiee?
I have seen it done for DietPi, but I fear it’s a bit over my capabilities… Roon Extension: Keyboard Remote

It would be great to be able to control a RPi endpoint with a remote (just start/stop and louder/mute), because if a phone call is incoming on the controlling smartphone, it gets tricky to make the music quieter. And the display isn’t a solution either, because I want the Endpint to be really headless and buried in an invisible place :wink:

1 Like

I have a person who will be trying this with RoPieee, some time this week, I will post their feedback.

I’m hoping of getting an RF based remote this week to play around with. If it works to my satisfaction then I’ll think about adding it to RoPieee.

4 Likes

Is HQP NAA still off the table?
I think that should be easy to add, no?

No so much off the table as out of scope, I’d guess. Ropieee’s claim to fame is it being an easy way (the easiest?) to create a Pi-based endpoint for Roon exclusively.

There are different tools for other purposes – flash DietPI to a card and install Roon Bridge, HQP NAA and whatever other software you fancy.

3 Likes

“What he said”.

But yeah, @RBM is right. This is not so much about difficult or not, this is about RoPieee’s goal: to be a Roon only solution. There are plenty other solutions that provide you with a way to setup HQP NAA.

Thanks,

4 Likes

I got the 14 day Roon Trial. Will be trying RoPieee myself.

I put the card into a Pi3 and the green LED is still blinking at 10hz almost 30 minutes later? Is this normal?

It can take a long time to go through its motions. Be patient.

Mine took quite a while to update, depends on your internet speed and how many updates the install needs to go get. If it take more than an hour you may need to try to re-flash the card. Or, in my case, I had to re-download the latest img. Took a couple tries to get a good one with my crappy internet.

It is hooked up to ethernet and the internet right?

What about SD card? I am using 16GB one is that too large, does it really only work with 4 and 8GB ones?

Does it support SSH to be able to see progress?

The 16 GB card should be okay, I only saw mention that people had issue with 32 GB cards.

I know that you can use SSH to modify but not sure about monitoring the install. Other have hooked up the HDMI to a monitor to watch the install. @spockfish said that the HDMI is disabled once it is up and running.

I am about to install on a second RPi and will be hooking up to a monitor to see what happens, I will let you know.

No it works with 16GB cards.
But again, are you connected to the internet?

My new install took 29 minutes to complete the initial boot process.

Install finished, and th he ApplePi DAC is playing music, took me a while to figure out how to get the volume control going.

Sounds really good.

How do you browse your folders and play certain files?