RoPieee - Feature requests

You might read Archimago’s discussion of RoPIeee on the Pi 4 here:

it looks like updates do no touch config.txt so the CRAAP [Convoluted Rationalizations And Audiophile Perceptions] adjustments should stay put.

1 Like

Hi all

about to built RoPieee with the pi display. Wondering if RoPieee can also show Lyrics?

thx

Z

1 Like

Hi,

No sorry that’s not possible as Roon does not expose this in their API’s.

1 Like

Simple answer: nope.

This is a difficult one. I’ve been pondering over supporting this several times but I think that this an example of a feature where I’m not convinced it belongs in RoPieee.

Not because of the discussion whether ‘lower power is better for sound’ (and I really, really don’t want to get into that discussion :wink: ) , but more on the level of: “if you really want to tweak and tune the system like that then maybe RoPieee is not for you and you should use something else” kinda way.

But I’m open for being convinced about this, but with other arguments then “this is good for sound” alone.

2 Likes

thx @spockfishfor the kind and quick response!

been reading up on ropieee today and another question came up :slight_smile:

is changing volume also not possible based on the API, or is that something that already exists/planned?

thx so much again for all your incredible work

Z

@spockfish

Definitely not sound quality related for me. It’s more about lowering heat created by RPi and for me, I have my headphone station that consists of a RPi, iFi Hip DAC and a battery pack. So I want minimal power consumption to extend how long it runs.

Perhaps a setting that defaults to full power but option to lower speed of CPU in advanced settings. It’s just a config file from what I understand.

1 Like

Again, if you look at the Archimago article I linked to, it explains how to alter the default config file to use less power.

Changing volume is already there, if you have volume control in Roon enabled.
In that case you’ll see the volume displayed (dimmed) on the screen.

The issue is not about what needs to be changed (I’m fully aware of that as I’ve played it with myself numerous times). It’s about a justified decision that a feature like that belongs in RoPieee.

2 Likes

@Bill_Janssen I saw your original post but I wasn’t sure the reply was for me… I wasn’t aware (didn’t really look tbh) that I could make normal “adjustments” to files and such when running Ropieee. I’ll take a look… since it was just a image written to SD card and booted up “headless”, I didn’t think I could make modifications to the “OS”.

You have to go to the “Advanced” tab in the RoPieee Web interface, and toggle the little switch towards the bottom of the page that says “SSH Access” first. It should look like this:

Then you can SSH in and make the changes.

I see the December 5, 2020, update to RoPieee turned off SSH access by default, so that’s why this necessity wasn’t in the Archimago article.

Thank you @Bill_Janssen, I was able to SSH in and set my power settings.

1 Like

+1 for Chromecast

Hi Harry,

do you see a chance to enhance Ropieee so that it can act as a Songcast Receiver. This is very helpful to realize Linn-based multiroom system.

I see that you are already using upmpcli. As far as I know upmpcli provides an optional module “sc2mpd”. Any plans for integrating this?

Thanks

Michael

A request, hopefully not repeated elsewhere.

As Ropieee can react to ‘Multimedia’ keys from FLIRC, would it be possible to allow Ropieee to just react to the multimedia keypresses at any point?

Ideally I’m thinking on getting a small seven button QMK programmable keyboard, which I’ll set up with play/pause, next track, last track etc.

Hi Harry,

do you plan to support the Argon One case including its power button and fan control?

I have installed this implementation on my RoPieee installation:

In contrast to most other solution this one is implemented in C. It works quit good. The problem is that I had to change some config file (e.g. /boot/config.txt) to get that working. Unfortunately these changes are overwritten whenever I reconfigure RoPieee.

Thanks

Michael

1 Like

Hi Michael.
Could you please share the compiled binary?
I would like to test it.
Thank you !

This one should be easy: Use a blank album art when the track doesn’t have album art.

The current behavior keeps the album art of the previous track. And roon is missing metadata for some of my albums, so the album art is completely unrelated to the track playing. A blank album art would be more appropriate for such cases.

1 Like

Maybe I’m just slow, but is there a way to Save/Load config state? I have an issue where I need to reflash my SDCards every couple months for whatever reason, and it would be nice if I could simply load my last known config from a saved file rather than combing through the settings again after each reflash event.

This would imply having to have a config file that could survive feature changes which might get challenging - I’m no coder but I can think of some benefit for such a feature - but where would you save it to? Maybe like download from a router config to a ropieee.conf file and a similar restore option.

I have over a dozen ropieee setups - so a naming convention using the host name - if you have more than one ropieee I guess you have uniquely named them.