RoPieee LCD Beta stuff - tell it like it is

Harry just wanted to update you that the digiamp+ setup with the lcd seems to be much more stable and no issues for the last week or 2…not sure it’s since some updates on your side or the removal of the extra wires to the lcd

1 Like

Hmmm… that’s weird. You started from scratch right? Installed the latest beta?

Ok , got this working, I was using the official website image, not the Beta.
all working, and looking good, keep up the good work :wink:

Out of interest what is the usr and pw for ssh? I want to get the wifi setup on my pi3

thanks.

root and root … but it could change in the future

@Noel_Singgih I’ve just put out an update to the beta channel.

This update should make it possible to debug it a little bit more, but I think I’ve managed to correct your issue as well. So let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

2 Likes

et voila! It just works!.. I rebooted and then I play the song and i can see the display is working like it should…! Thanks so much for this @spockfish, if only you can see the big smile on my face. Hahaha…

2 Likes

@dabassgoesboomboom,

I’ve been struggling to get this reproduced. I had this once this weekend, but nothing anymore since then. How things are going at your end?

Yesterday I had it after 5 minutes of turnimg on Ropieee. The problem is I can’t work out what pattern/sequence is causing this, which means I have the same problem as you - I can’t reproduce it.

I’ll have some time today for more listening and let you know.

1 Like

Sigh, it’s impossible to see any pattern.

I had music playing for 2 hours, with no skipping tracks at all. And after 2 hours I got the black artwork.

So skipping tracks quickly isn’t the cause because I didn’t touch Roon Remote at all - I just let it play.

I have noticed it only happens for me with Tidal only.

Has anyone else got the black artwork, without even a Tidal subscription?

1 Like

I got black screen last night…and the hat was playing fine…I didn’t notice it at the time but the display was blank…or in saver…when I woke up I checked it with a touch and everything was unknown. I sent feedback just before this post ~02:00 utc. Restarted the extension but no help. Reconnected the extension in roon too also no help. All this time music is playing fine on the pi endpoint.

Will reboot it shortly and see if that helps.

Well reboot didn’t help so loooks like a power off is needed…oddly there were 3 extensions duplicated in the view screen…so I removed all of them and added it back again but still no help

I just did a shutdown, pulled the power out and on again and still the unknown screen is showing…restarted the extension and it does the communication message on the screen and comes back with the unknown display again.

0.3.6 is the version and it’s using 4.9.39-1-SPCKFSH build

@spockfish Harry hope the feedback gives something to go on…I did a second feedback after restarting everything too as it’s still in the unknown state but extension is detected and music is playing on the endpoint with the screen…

I’m off to the beach it seems now so that’s my lot for troubleshooting this for now

Damn that’s no good. But the unknown screen is a different thing to the black cover art issue (I think).

Hi @wizardofoz,

Looked at your feedback. Looks actually pretty ok. But it is in screensaver mode.
So… I’m a little bit confused with your extensive setup :slight_smile:

Is your zone properly configured? Because I can see that you’ve played music on a different zone, but this one is not configured to control that zone.

I can reproduce your issue exactly by entering a non-existing Roon zone name in the web interface.

The last issue is on my to do list. Because I think I can build something for this and show a warning that RoPieee can’t detect the configured zone or something like that.

Enjoy the beach!

Think of this as just an additional data point, but I’ve not experienced this issue at all. The difference may well be connected to the fact that I only have a touchscreen connected to the RPi2; no HAT or USB connection is enabled. I am playing both albums from my own collection and from Tidal, and have not seen any issues.

Just an update, I went through and removed the extension for that device as I found in my rock core that I test from time to time but it had been offline till a day or so ago. While not active it was registered. I seem to have display working again now so that’s good. So maybe was just some old registrations even tho it was not playing or active/enabled/paired on the other core.

Other than updates in roon to 247/8 I haven’t made other changes.

The beach was nice tho…now despite being in the shade all day I am burnt :sunny: :flushed:

1 Like

@spockfish that clock hiding in there gives me goose bumps every time I tap the blank screen and fleetingly sweeps past on the way to the playing artist display. Hope this is not to far away. My wife spotted it too…

1 Like

Hi,

I think it’s time for an update from my side as you guys might think I’m constantly lying on the beach like @wizardofoz :wink:

Anyways, as previously mentioned I want to merge the touchscreen support in to the stable channel, as this takes a way the burden of maintaining 2 versions. However, I want to make sure that you guys that are on the beta channel have a way to switch back to stable if it comes to that point.

While thinking of this (and some preparation work is already done for those that look closely) I came to the conclusion for that to work out I needed to refactor the webpage. Right now it’s just a single page, but with adding more (advanced) stuff I wanted something with a clear separation so that RoPieee remains what it is: a RoonBridge ready image that can be used by anyone without having any kind of computer skills but can also provide items for more advanced settings.

Now, this refactoring part took longer then expected. But the good news is that I’m almost done. What’s left is some testing and some ‘bits and pieces’. Now this will take a few more weeks before it lands, because I’m on holiday next week and I don’t want to release this to you guys before I leave :wink:

Oh. And when this is done focus will switch back to the screen itself and a whole list of other stuff.

Keep you posted, enjoy your holidays and the music!

Regards,

5 Likes

Hi,

I’ve just pushed an update to the beta channel. The biggest change is the new web page that has a tabbed interface. It tries to keep ‘advanced stuff’ away from the user that just want RoPieee to work with the minimal amount of settings.

One of the things you’ll notice on the ‘advanced’ tab is that you’re able to select the update channel.

Furthermore I made a small change that (hopefully) fixes the black cover art issue.

Thanks,

1 Like

Looks really good. Only issue…
HAT is working but not shown and selectable in the webinterface.

1 Like

duh… Ok. Fixed. Update has been pushed.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey Harry,

I needed to commit changes on the ‘General’ tab, and reboot, before I could get to the ‘Display’ tab and change orientation and add Roon zone (another reboot)

I do like having the Advanced stuff separate but I think the current ‘Display’ tab items should still be on the main ‘General’ tab - to be able to do all those essential settings and follow with one reboot.