RoPieee LCD Beta stuff - tell it like it is

ok guys. I had the ‘black covert art issue’ as well. After many hours of listening.
I was able to investigate it for a little while. The most interesting thing is that it does not recover for example when you play a track with different artwork. When it’s broken it stays like that. I’ve checked the extension etc., but that all seems good. So for now my conclusion is that this is actually an issue with the touchscreen software itself.

I need to build in some debug information as I did not had enough information to find the real cause of this, so some patience here.

If someone can come up with a reproduction scenario different then mine (“keep it running for several hours”) that would be great!

Hey Harry, I posted above that I first had it after 30 mins.

Later dad had it after a few hours.

And like you, I previously mentioned only rebooting Ropieee fixes it.

This only came up I noticed around the same time that the text scrolling fast speed was fixed. Just observations.

Oh sorry, I missed that you had it after 30 minutes.
Where you playing different albums (and thus wit a lot of switching artwork)?

Nope, at my end fast album switching doesn’t reproduce this issue. It’s been difficult to notice a pattern but will keep observing.

Hi @spockfish,

Late to the game, after 4 weeks away from home, I finally managed to get back, downloaded and installed the Beta version.

I’ve got everything working, music goes well… but, the screen is blank and i can see that the Display is not “connecting” to my Roon Zone.

My Roon Zone is called “Living Room”, and I’ve made sure that I set it up correctly on Ropieee.local, did a few reboots, but it is still not showing anything… music is not affected, and plays well.

Can you point me to what I can do to fix this please. I’ve also sent Feedback about 5 mins ago.

Thanks.

@Noel_Singgih

I suggest you rename the ropieee ‘lounge’ then make sure you call the zone the same thing inside Roon. Spaces & Mixed case seem to cause confusion. Make sure you ‘commit’ the changes in ropieee to. For some reason this worked for me when i had the same problem last night.

I don’t think you need to rename your Ropieee, or worry about mixed case in your Zone name - but spaces in zone names certainly were an issue a while back, and I don’t think that Harry has addressed that issue as yet.

I did. Spaces are allowed.

1 Like

Hi Noel,

Welcome on board!

Did you enable the extension inside Roon?

Ok got this running, BUT no extension shown in Roon, hence i assume no display? Ive currently just got text, **** Ropiee RUNNING *****

Just sent logs im using 4.9.36-1-SPCKFSH

Hi Harry,

I did and I can see that the extension is running. Have also tried to reboot it.

Thanks.

Can you send me feedback? You need to go to the web page and hit the ‘send feedback’ button.

Thanks!

I did Harry - last night (my time). I will do this again later when I get home.

I’m curious though, how do you identify who sent the feedback? Should I do something after clicking the button, i.e. messaging you with the date/time?

Thanks.

Yes. that latter one is the best way for now.
I’m changing the feedback interface so you can leave a message, but that’s ‘work in progress’.

Hi Harry,

Just sent the Feedback. It is today at 18:47 HK time (GMT+8). I was playing a song from Chlara titled Come Away With Me.

Interestingly, I also noted that when I got home and wanted to play a music, despite the fact that I left the Ropieee on all the time, it is not showing as an active Zone on Roon that I had to restart it before it reappears. Is this related?

Thanks.

Ok. I’ve seen what is wrong. Can’t explain it though. “This should just work”.

Would you be willing to do a small experiment? Change your zone name to something without spaces (‘LivingRoom’ or something like that) and try again. You need to change this in both RoPieee and Roon.

Thanks,

OK - I’ve just did as you suggested. I changed the Zone name to “Lounge” in Roon and also in Ropieee, committed the changes, reboot, and then I played “I Will Survive by Musica Nuda”, still nothing, the display is still showing unknown, but the music works flawlessly.

I sent Feedback at 19:19 HK Time.

Anything else I can do to help you investigating this? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Thanks @Noel_Singgih, very helpful.

Again the same problem. The extension does not has the proper Roon zone configured, hence you’re not seeing anything.

I’ll prepare an update later today that will add more debug information, as I need to find out ‘why’. Because this is structural (you tried multiple times), so you’re on to a real bug :wink:

It will take some patience from your side though to figure this one out. Sorry for that.

No worries @Spockfish - I’m happy that you’ve developed this capability with the RPI Display. I’ve been looking around for a solution to display what’s currently being played. Let me know if you need me to do some further test or collecting log files, etc.

Thanks again.

I’ll poke you when the update is there, and then you can repeat the steps. I’ll have more info that time to see why it fails like it does on your side.