RoPieee LCD Beta stuff - tell it like it is

New to Raspberry PI and Ropieee, but just bought my first RPI with screen and managed to install the beta without any problems. So far so good and great stuff - many thanks :grinning:

Just one question. Is there a way to set a fixed IP-address instead of using dhcp?

Once again, many thanks for the hard work put into this.

1 Like

RoPieee does not support fixed IP, only DHCP.
But my RoPieee endpoints kept their IP since day 1 without any intervention.
You can assign a fixed IP based on MAC address, keeping the RPi on DHCP though.

2 Likes

Just reserve the IP address in your router. In some routers you can just select it on a list and others you will manually have to type in the MAC address.

2 Likes

Hi Nathan,

Iā€™m not sure what you mean with the hyphens and spacesā€¦

Are you talking about the zone names? Because that accepts hypens and spaces.
The hostname not because the standard doesnā€™t allow it, but the hostname is also not something the user sees or uses.

Thanks,

Harry

Hello Harry,

I must have been trying to set the hostname to something like ā€œKitchen-Piā€ when trying to set the zone to something like ā€œKitchen Monitorā€ and gotten confused on what was actually causing the error. I am sorry about that.

Regarding hostnames, what standard are you referring to? RFC952 allows ā€œ-ā€, but I am not an expert in these things. As you say, it doesnā€™t matter, as long as I setup the DHCP reservation correctly.

Regarding showing up as an endpoint in Roon, @wizardofoz, I (incorrectly) expected it to show up without a powered DAC attached, similar to how my Roon Core does.

Finally, I wonder if there is a typo on the commit screen: should ā€œRone Zoneā€ be ā€œRoon Zoneā€?

Nathan

@spockfish yep that would be a typo in the commit screen ā€¦ well spotted @Nathan_Wilkes

1 Like

I must have been trying to set the hostname to something like ā€œKitchen-Piā€ when trying to set the zone to something like ā€œKitchen Monitorā€ and gotten confused on what was actually causing the error. I am sorry about that.

No worries!

Regarding hostnames, what standard are you referring to? RFC952 allows ā€œ-ā€, but I am not an expert in these things

Youā€™re absolutely right. Iā€™ll fix that.

Finally, I wonder if there is a typo on the commit screen: should ā€œRone Zoneā€ be ā€œRoon Zoneā€?

Yes! Iā€™m refactoring the web page from RoPieee and just spotted it myself the other day :wink:

Hey @spockfish

After 30 minutes or so of music playing, Iā€™m losing covert art.

Changing albums doesnā€™t fix it, restarting the extension doesnā€™t fix it, rebooting the Roon Core doesnā€™t fix it - only rebooting Ropieee fixes it.

try removing the extn in roon and then re pairing itā€¦might be worth a shotā€¦mine stay there for hours no issues at all

I hope its not the black artwork issue thats in roon thoā€¦I think there is a fix in the pipe for thatā€¦see how many images are there in roon

Hi Sean,

Is this something structural? As in: I can repeat this?
Iā€™ll try to see if I can put some debug information for this in the app and provide an update later so we can investigate.

And yeah, this is the time to play that record :cry:

1 Like

Thanks Harry. The only structure I can repeat so far is the above, regarding what does and doesnā€™t fix it.

Iā€™m still trying to find a pattern on what causes it. Soon as I see a pattern (and repeat it myself) Iā€™ll let you know.

Yes been listening to Tidalā€™s new Linkin Park playlist today. Sad day indeed. Gone way too soon :sob:

The old man is having the same issue. This was after a few hours of listening. Iā€™m trying to find a pattern to reproduce it but itā€™s not easy.

Song and artist and album info all change, without issues. Only album art doesnā€™t.

I had a similar experience today but my play button was messed up too but the other screen was doing fine

I just had flashing, like the square around cover art and the buttons were flashing. Now itā€™s all gone blank. Eep. Music uninterrupted. Just touchscreen issue.

Again restarting the roon extension doesnā€™t fix it - only rebooting Ropieee does for me.

Hmmm. Okā€¦ that doesnā€™t look good. Tomorrow Iā€™ve got some time to have it running for a couple of hours and do some analysis.

@wizardofoz can you tell me that for you this happened also after listening to music for some hours (like Seanā€™s dad?)

Regards Harry

@spockfish , weā€™ve encountered the blank image problem a few times. Interestingly, it didnā€™t happen for perhaps 7-9 hours of classical ā€œradioā€ this morning / afternoon, with some long works, but then it occurred after only a few hours of early jazz during dinner (2-5 minute pieces, with a new cover every time). It is almost as though an array ran out of memory.

I am using ropieee as a monitor only.

Nathan

Ok thanks Nathan.

Iā€™ll try to get this reproduced today.

1 Like

Iā€™ve lost all use of the touch screen too, but Iā€™ve not had it for a week or so.

Iā€™ve three pis running the beta, all reporting different Linux release numbers. Oddly the one which ROON recognises the extension hasnā€™t even got a touch screen, but the one that does, cannot force a refresh of the extension, the latest reports 4.9.36.1 while the one with touch screen read 4.9.34.1. The ROON extention is listed as being 3.50.

Could someone remind me what Which Roon Zone should the touchscreen control. Make sure you type it exactly as known in Roon. means.

Maybe that the problem.

@spockfish I canā€™t recall what was playing before that or for how longā€¦but itā€™s only happened the one.

It simply means that the Roon zone should be called exactly how it is called in Roon itself: upper case, lower case, spaces etc.