RoPieee looses USB DAC [Resolved: inadequate PS]

Thanks. Yeah this shows that after the buffer overruns in the end the device disconnects from the USB bus…

A data point to add to the weirdness… I streamed Qobuz for over 12 hours constantly yesterday with not a single issue. This morning, less then 10 minutes before the issue reappeared. Its super random.

I assume its crashing the entire USB (sub)system, hence the Flirc USB controller also disappearing at the same time as the DAC?

Yes that’s what I assume. Although I can’t see that clearly in the logs wrt the Flirc.

Tried the DAC in a different USB (3) port, feed back ID 29a07b98d82bc98e

I will remove the Flirc USB dongle to eliminate it as the culprit.

Same issue, and it happens almost immediately. It is however unclear to me what happens first: the buffer overruns, following the disconnect, or the hardware errors resulting in a buffer overrun and in the end in a disconnect.

Might be that we need the Roon team to analyze …

Anyhow, I’ll release a new kernel in the beta channel tomorrow. So at least we can rule out it’s something in the kernel.

Thanks Harry, I’m now on 2.472 Beta. I will let you know what happens.

Will push out the new kernel tomorrow.

Hi Harry, I eliminated the USB DAC as the issue. Same problem with both my RME and a chord devices. 4c366d8c42ca50d4 I had not run the beta channel update prior to this crash, just providing you a data point.

I’ll run the update and let you know the result.

There is something off with avahi in the new beta. After a reboot /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf came up empty so avahi-daemon did not start. Roon core did not see RoPieee. I added

[server]
use-ipv4=yes

to the file and started avahi-daemon manually. This brought back RoPieee (DAC) to Roon.
Feedback 5b63ab35fad1f98e

Thanks for reporting. Looking into this.

@spockfish, zero USB crashes with the latest beta. 30+ hours of continuous streaming both local and Qobuz, no issues whatsoever. No other system changes made besides running the update.

Same here. No disconnects for the last 24 hours (apart from the avahi issue mentioned above). I’m still not powering all from the Pi though. Same small PS, haven’t bought a bigger one yet.

1 Like

Hmmm…

Although I’m happy for your guys (@Wakajazz and @ogs) I’m a little bit amazed.
But ok, let’s see how this develops the coming days.

Thanks for testing!

I admit to feeling this is a bit strange. Nothing has actually changed in my setup other than 473 beta. I had the error with 473 in the beginning, but it has been stable for a couple of days now.
Another thing is the Roon remote on my tablet would crash or freeze. (I’ve reported this to Roon support) It has been working fine the last two or three days. Of course this should have nothing to do with RoPieee. We’ll see…

Well, the logs for the kernel patches (from 4.16.108 to 4.19.113) show some USB related issues, so that might have fixed this.

That is certainly promising.
Did you have time yesterday for a new kernel beta? It was Sunday after all!

Yes, over time I’ve created an environment in which building a new kernel is relatively easy. So I build it already earlier this week, ran it for a few days on my systems and then released it Saturday.

Aha, so that is the 473 we are running now?

Yes that’s the one.

New feedback d75b6e53c1e6f03b
DAC was gone. There was an update waiting which I enabled just before I sent feedback. I’ll reboot now…

Didn’t help with warm or cold reboot, but unpluging and plugging the DAC helped.
Another feedback to show this: f98e171a77e05ec0