Ropieee no audio output - how to activate audio-outputs?

I am not sure if I have understood the problem correctly, but I have had problems with my RPi 3 with the HifiBerry Digi+ HAT myself - yesterday and today. As soon as I chose the Digi+ as the installed HAT it no longer played. Numerous tries with reflashing the SD card etc. I tried defining the HAT as the Digi+ PRO and it is now playing. Does this make any sense?

What is the difference in digi+ and digi+ pro from the RoPieee setup - are there different drivers?

Yes, they are different. You have two choices…

Here you can find the differences

Thank you for the info.
My question is not the difference in the hardware, i am not sure, if there is any difference in the drivers.
Digi+ pro is working with driver digi+ pro and also digi+
So it seems to me, that there is the same driver.

I believe that each driver is optimized for the specific hat as they are different in the hardware … but cannot be sure

Sorry, one more question.
Is there an update for the digi+ * like a upcrade for a pc-card and how to upgrade therefore?

RESOLVED!!!

New card arrived - It is a digi+

Installed RoPieee image one more time - Reboot and choosed digi+ hat

UP AND RUNNING !!!
Just 10 minutes of work including image-copy.

The first powersupply was broken.
The first card was broken.

Now everything is fine. No click sound and 192/24 on both coax and spdif.

Sorry for making troubles, but as it was the first Rasperry, it was hard for me to find the error. 15 hours of searching.

Thank you everybody!!!

3 Likes

Good news Ronny, sounds like you were quite unlucky with the original order
I have a Digi+ Pro coming on the weekend and I will test this against USB input to different sources for test purposes.

Mike

Michael, do you report anywheer of you test results?

Does anyone have tests or experienced in soundquality-difference between
DIGI+ and DIGI+ PRO on Coax output?
Could not find a thread therefore.

Hi Ronny I only have one Digi+ pro device (so cannot compare) but it is now sat running on my Onkyo 5.2.1 AV system.
One of the best compliments I can give to it, is the fact that instead of listening on the Sonos Amp and Dali Oberon 5 (with sub) setup in the same room yesterday we listened all day on the Onkyo and no one really noticed (besides the music was coming from everywhere). We switched to the Sonos later and the bigger/better speaker’s showed, but it was a good test.

I might buy a Dac 2 pro to feed the Sonos as a low cost way to get more RAAT devices on the network. For the £35 or so it cost me (and a couple of hours playing) I am very happy with the experiment

Regards

Mike

1 Like

As i am using RME, i wonder why i was taking a hat.
I could also take a Pi4 without hat and connect via USB.
Maybe ropieee will also work via usb - and Hifiberry would be wasted money.

Ronny that should at least be your starting point, and then only look to a HAT if you are not happy or want to test something different.

Regards

Mike

1 Like

Haha - i had a blonde moment and was so fixed to COAX or SPDIF

Would a hat have any better sound compared to USB-output?

But on the other side, i wanted at the starting point 2 different RME-inputs with 192/24
Meanwhile i use
one RoPiee for headphone-input and
one Sonos-ZP90 for SPDIF–>Antimode–>RME–>AMP–>Loudspeakers

So i could remove the hat.
I thought i can use also 192/24 for DSPEAKER ANTIMODE, but meanwhile, i know, that ANTIMODE is limited to max. 48/16 on SPDIF exit

Next week i can compare an ALLO DigiONE with USB myself.

EDIT
Just had time to test
Digi+ with Coax — Bitperfect with 192/24
Only USB without HAT — Bitperfect with 192/24

As i only need now only one RME input instead of two inputs (i thought i will need 2 inputs 15 days ago) the solution is clear for me.

I take the USB-option without HAT and everything is perfect. (Bit perfect)

Yes you can use USB direct into the USB of the RME and it will sound as great I use mine from my core via USB also tried it from the pi that runs Ropieee just for screen and stuck my Digi + on it and I could tell no difference really.

1 Like

Ronny Perfect solution.
I use USB everywhere that has it, some people here different noises etc from usb, but I don’t (I use decent power supply, and USB cables).

I use the Hat’s with devices that don’t have USB, older Amps and Sonos Amp, which I am currently comparing with network output with 24/96 upscaled to 192 as Roon still drops Sonos to 16/44. I am hoping this will be sorted on the newer devices at some point.

Sounds like you have the exact setup you need now so good luck and enjoy

Regards

Mike

1 Like

Great Mike

And do you use USB2 or USB3-Port on Rasperry
There are some discussions USB2/3 which port is better, but i dońt understand.
I myself think - if a system passes BitPerfect, than it is fine.

Ronny from my memory of reading about it, even USB 3 ports output in USB 2 mode so I thought it made no difference.
My iFi DAC comes with usb 3 cable, but only runs in USB 2 mode (again from memory) and I have used both cables on windows and VitOS and Ropieee and here no difference at all through my Sundara headphones.
A different DAC may just give you a different result, but I only ever remember reading about USB Audio or USB 2 audio which is enhanced.

Regards

Mike

1 Like