RoPieee on Raspberry Pi 4

I have a RPi 3b in a Flirc.tv case inside another chassis …partly to have the heatsink and also to shield it from the Soekris DAM1021 DAC sitting above it. It’s running around 48.5C which is non aircon currently and others in the house are in the 60’s

The 4’s run even hotter so I highly recommend the Flirc.tv case for the 4 too, as a passive cooling option if you don’t need a hat.

2 Likes

Very cool (pun intended)… what do you think of the DAC?

I like it but its basic and I had it as a spare board from a repair I did on my Vinshine Ref R2R DAC. Was trying to use it without having to have a usb interface into what would probably have been a RPi anyway.

I was fooling around with AirPlay on RoPieeeXL and can’t figure out how to get it to work. Am I supposed to be able to send music from my iPhone to my Raspberry Pi 4 using RoPieeeXL and Airplay? Should I be able to play Apple Music, for instance, on my phone and send it to the RPi4? I can’t get RoPieeeXL to show up as an available output device when going into Airplay on my phone.

I’m not sure where to post this, but here is as good as any. I have a new to me (used) Meridian Prime headphone DAC/amp that I have posted about in another thread. I am using my Raspberry Pi 4 USB out to the Meridian Prime and Sony headphones and it sounds great.

So, I just decided to give it a try with Apple Music and Airplay from my iPhone through the Raspberry Pi 4 and it sounds surprisingly good. Makes me almost wonder why I’m paying for Tidal, Qobuz, and Roon. I get Apple Music for free from Verizon.

Actually, there is a pretty substantial difference, but Apple Music is sounding better than ever through the Raspberry Pi 4 to Meridian Prime.

I just ordered the parts to assemble another Raspberry Pi 4 Roon bridge device. It was $73.71 from Amazon including the 2GB RPi4. I’ll keep is as a spare or sell it if anyone wants one and doesn’t want to fool with DIY. I’ll list it for sale if I decide to sell it.

I just assembled my new Raspberry Pi 4 with 2GB running RoPieeeXL and have been running it about 5 hours streaming to my Meridian Prime. It’s running at 45 degrees C (113 degrees F). That’s a couple degrees higher than the 1GB version. Both are in a FLIRC fanless case. I don’t know if the 2GB runs slightly warmer or if that’s just a random thing, but it’s barely warm to the touch.

I’m around 41°C since I updated USB FW Version…

Sitting on my back porch enjoying some Beatles with my secondary RPi4, Dragonfly Cobalt, and Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones. This thing works very well using WIFI even in the FLIRC case. It’s 73 F out here and the case is not even warm.

1 Like

Roy, I live in the tropics with similar temperatures as mentioned by you. My RP4 in Flirc case never measures above 51-52 C max. This case works very well and I can’t recommend it enough if you don’t plan on using a Hat with your Pi.

1 Like

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Just ordered it. :+1:

2 Likes

I ordered a screen and screen case for one of my RPi4’s. They are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I removed the RPi4 from the FLIRC case and it has hit 54C running outside the case. Should I be OK without installing the fan? I have installed 4 of the little stick-on heat sinks.

It’s OK without a fan. I run 7x24 for more than half year already.

1 Like

3 Likes

It’s running at 60C. Is that OK?

Under 80C is ok; you should be fine.

1 Like

Thanks. It’s been running all afternoon and is at 61C now. I guess that’s as hot as it is going to get.

1 Like

Looking good @Jim_F. I like that your case doesn’t rotate the screen. A short right angled USB cable could hide the dragonfly behind and make it not so vulnerable, if thats a thing.

1 Like