Ropieee on the New Raspberry Pi 4

Thanks mate! Impressive how quick you responded! :wink:

Greetings all - been lurking for a while. Tried the trial version (now expired) and really like Roon. Just pulled trigger on a Raspberry Pi 4 on which I plan to install Ropieee (seems the easiest way to me.) Initially Roon CORE and music library will be installed on a rather under powered laptop, and a kindle fire for the remote. The Pi4 will feed my Cambridge 851N via USB. Over time I plan to upgrade to a ROCK computer thingy.

I have a WD NAS drive but i suspect that it is also under powered for use as library storage. What are the pros / cons of adding a SSD card or an external USB card drive to the ROCK. I have a WD passport 4TB USB drive available.

I am sure I will have a hundred and one questions - especially when the Pi 4 arrives and am thankful (and excited) in advance for all your support and advice.

:sunglasses:

If you build a fanless, silent device, an SSD internal drive would be great. I put a 1TB SSD in my Nucleus that I just got.

A fast drive is not needed for your music…only for the CORE system datable where an SSD is really a MUST HAVE.

You should be fine with music on any NAS or external USB drive, of course an internal drive on the CORE is best for the speed needed when analysing your music audio details etc. This only happens at initial import or a perhaps major version release.

I run a 3000K track database with 250K tracks on a NAS. I use a NUC i7 and ROCK on SSD

Thank you both for your replies. I was planning on getting the NUC recommended on the Roon website:

Intel NUC 8 Mainstream Kit (NUC8i3BEH) - Core i3

The i7 is out of my budget

I guess I’ll try this with the music on my NAS drive. I can always add an SSD drive to the NUC later if necessary.

I suggest you determine the CPU model based on your library size See

Suggested hardware

Currently I have around 20,000 tracks ripped from CD’s and another ~10,000 favorites in Tidal.

Remember your library size includes streaming items added from tidal and Qobuz but I think an i3 will be fine for you.

Thank you - at approximately what size collection should I consider the i7?

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Thank you. I’ve seen a used Intel NUC 8 Mainstream Kit (NUC8i5BEH) - Core i5 for a good price. Would that work?

Yes, it’s on the list.

Great - I just placed the order. Now I have a Pi 4 and NUC to set up over the Christmas break!!

Ho Ho Ho.:grinning:

2 Likes

I’m going to build an i9-9900 Fanless beast to run roon, jriver and audirvana plus Fidelizer and throw it on a Linear mode power supply. I might even stick an extra m.2 ssd in there and try it with ROCK

Hi Thomas. There is a firmware issue with the Sprout and Linux compatibility. The guys at PS Audio will ship it back and do the firmware flash for you, get them to do the flash that stops the very slight buzz you can get when you hit power as well.

Yes! I had that done already. Fantastic customer support by PS Audio - they even paid for shipping both ways.

They were awesome. Love the Sprout as well.

@spockfish

Just a question as I can not figure out what have changed here.
I just got the new RPi 4 4GB version.
So installed this into my RaspDAC Mini which has the ES9038Q2M DAC HAT.
Its powered over GPIO same as it was with older RPi3 B+
So now the Roon finally recognise this DAC properly and its set to I-Sabre Q2M DAC and in Advanced the correct sampling rate and DSD is available

But now there is this strange behaviour. The volume gain so so much lover than with the RPi 3 B+ for some reason.
With the older RPi 3 B+ I needed to have volume control to be set to Twenty to for my normal listening volume. With new RPi 4 I have to rock it up to Twelve O’clock or higher.
So very significant difference.

Any idea where the difference is?

Some info which may help you to troubleshoot

Blockquote
Software

Package Version
ropieee 20191226-1
ropieee-web 20191229-2
ropieee-extensions 20190407-1
mosquitto-ropieee 1.6.3-1
lirc-ropieee 0.10.1-8
inputlirc-ropieee 30-2
linux-raspberrypi-pae 4.19.89-1
qt5-base-ropieee-pi4 5.12.4-1
ropieee-remote 20190731-1

aplay -l **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **** card 1: DAC [I-Sabre Q2M DAC], device 0: I-Sabre Q2M DAC i-sabre-codec-i2c.1-0048-0 [I-Sabre Q2M DAC i-sabre-codec-i2c.1-0048-0] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

aplay -L
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
sysdefault:CARD=DAC
    I-Sabre Q2M DAC, I-Sabre Q2M DAC i-sabre-codec-i2c.1-0048-0
    Default Audio Device

Thanks in advance

The only thing I can think of is that with the Pi 4 a different driver is being used. On the Pi 3 an older kernel is used that does not have the native driver hence it uses the generic RPI-DAC driver.

Thx for quick reply.
Is there anything that can be done with this maybe?
Is there alsamixer or similar to adjust settings?