Ropieee on the New Raspberry Pi 4

No, it wont ever work. It not got the oomph nor is it compiled to run on Arm its for x64 architecture only

(Harry ten Berge) #22

Running Core on a Pi won’t work. I mean, technically it will, but it does not have enough power.

I’m reading the thread about it, people discussing specs and so on, but the only thing I have in my mind:

“WHY”?

Why do you want to run a serious heavy piece of software on a Pi, even if the manufacturer of that piece of software (Roonlabs) is pretty clear about it’s minimal requirements.

And even if the Pi would be powerful enough, even then: you really want to run a process like that with a serious database from a cheap SD card?

“shaking my head”

6 Likes

Agree.

There are some properly powerful ARM machines out there. Like the server systems from Gigabyte with 244 ARM cores and up to 4TB RAM in a single chassis. But those solutions are as expensive, if not way more, than a suitable Intel-based server for Roon Core. Those high-core-count ARM servers make sense for high density web servers, but not a lot else…

Possibly premature question, but does this have the potential to be better than an Allo USBridge?

(Henry) #25

I would say no. At best it might make a case for the USBridge to be less necessary but until we hear one no one can honestly say with confidence it’ll be better.

(sojer2005) #26

Allo is designing new USBridge based on Compute Module 3+. Don’t know anything about a release date.
Current USBridge is out of stock on Allo website so maybe a new release is imminent.

But I have another question. If USB DAC is designed properly (XMOS), does it really matter if we are using plain simple Raspberry Pi or Allo products?

1 Like

I should have one by end of week also, happy to test.

1 Like
(Rene Bouwmeester) #28

Yup – just got delivered at my home address.

Humbly awaiting instructions. :smiley:

1 Like
(Frank Berens) #29

Orderd mine today, 4Gb version. Not available yet. Waiting patiently, full of expectations.

Hoping the addition of USB3 and splitting of Ethernet and USB means a more recent kernel to improve chances of working with a PUC2 Lite.

(sojer2005) #31

Ordered today.
Mine will be delivered on Friday.

No. But the marketing guys will tell you otherwise…

1 Like
(Henry) #33

It does matter in my opinion. Confidence in your setup goes a long way to making people happy with their kit. These devices provide some with that confidence, myself included. In the end though I chose to get away from USB in the signal path.

(Matte Rocks) #34

The funny thing is that people here usually spends thousands of € for audio equipment but they’re looking for the cheapest solution when it comes to running a powerful software for listening to music on it :slight_smile: after paying good money for the software itself.

(Wim) #35

Just drop the MicroSDHC card from another RoPieee endpoint in the RPi4 and power on …
Isn’t it plug an pray? :sunglasses:

(Reader of the Internets) #36

The SD card is a real weakness. But it’s easy enough to keep a copy to slip in when the one in use fails.

(Rene Bouwmeester) #37

It’s here. It’s fast. And it works fine running latest Raspbian / Roon Bridge / HifiBerry Digi+ Pro:

@spockfish: anything to be done for Ropieee as of yet?

3 Likes
(Harry ten Berge) #38

Hi @RBM,

Raspbian has been updated earlier this week, RoPieee won’t run as it misses a few elementary components for the Pi 4 (specifically the bootloader).

It’s all prepared, I’m already running the new kernel, but I don’t have the time to create a new image.

Mine is arriving tomorrow, so I’m pretty sure I’ll get it working this weekend.

Thanks,

6 Likes
(Dick Vliek) #39

Nice Harry! Mine is arriving tomorrow (friday) as well. The 2GB version, 4 was out of stock.

(Darko.Audio & Twittering Machines contributor) #40

The technical guys will tell you as well. As do my ears - RPi, AlloUSBridge, & Pro-ject Stream Ultra (RPi-based) all in house. A decided step up in SQ as you go up the three.

Be interesting to see how the RPi4 compares to the USBridge though given the Pi no longer has a shared USB bus (I believe)