Ropieee - Tidal Connect [unsupported]

Yep now working well. Via phone and PC software.
Getting first unfold 96khz @ RME ADI 2 dac via Pi2aes Spdif.

so once you install this package, does it appear then as an option from the Ropieee web interface?

Or is it only a behind-the-curtain thing?

Add . :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

TC

On mine its is ā€˜behind the curtainā€™.
I havenā€™t tried the last image provided.

Again: let me be very clear: this is unsupported from my side. I will not provide any form of support.

@moderators can you please add a ā€˜[unsupported]ā€™ text or something like that? The author is hijacking the RoPieee subforum without discussing this at all. As the software is illegal I want nothing to do with it.

Harry, when can we expect Tidal connect to be added to the supported image?

Not in the near future. As long as Tidal does not officially provide something or an open source project reverse engineers the protocol.

But this ā€˜solutionā€™ will not be included in RoPieee.

Thatā€™s disappointing, but thanks for confirming.

What do you mean by illegal. Can you shed some light?
Is this not mimicking Chromecast?

The software is a binary. No one knows where it is coming from. And no, this is not mimicking CC.
Iā€™m not going to include binaries with a very unclear reputation in RoPieee.

And this is even without the lack of decency on the ā€˜authorā€™ part of this software: using the RoPieee name and creating software for it without even discussing this and posting it on the RoPieee sub forum without mentioning explicitely that heā€™s doing this on his own.

I canā€™t ā€˜forbidā€™ people to run other software on a RoPieee unit, but Iā€™m not going to support and/or endorse illegal software.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming. I think Iā€™ll revert to Standard Ropieee.

@moderators, I would like to strongly support @spockfishā€™s request for action. @danny is rightly trying to address toxicity on the forum and posts that support illegal software and hijack threads should be addressed.

1 Like

If the software is illegal, I absolutely 100% agree.
Just so I understand, is the software illegal because its integrating with Ropieee without consent?

Harry, is there a roadmap for Ropieee to implement Chromecast?

Doneā€¦ as for its inclusion in the Ropieee area I will leave that to the mods.

2 Likes

If you sift through the files in this ā€œTidal Connectā€ method you will see what it is. It is a hack, which includes stolen licensed Tidal software/binaries/config files from an ifi MQA enabled device and their Tidal authentication keys. It is illegal.

I suggest the mods delete this thread or the relevant parts so as to not promote this.

1 Like

Our team has determined that this binary was extracted from a player that was licensed by TIDAL to support TIDAL connect.

It feels shady to me, but itā€™s probably best to let TIDAL comment on whether this redistribution of their code is allowed or not. Itā€™s none of our place to make that decision. I personally wouldnā€™t go near it.

@spockfish has made it clear that he also is not going to redistribute this software, as its pedigree is unknown. This lack of owner combined with itā€™s binary-only nature makes it very dangerous to run as well. For example, this thing could be stealing your bank details on a local computer without the latest security patches, or acting as a spam bot. I wouldnā€™t run something like this at my home. There is no accountability.

Heā€™s also asked this anonymous person to stop using the Ropieee name, but other than decency, Iā€™m not sure if there is any recourse here. This will fall under trademarking and licensing laws in various jurisdictions.

However, it doesnā€™t mean we have to allow for its advertisement here, both out of respect for @spockfish/Ropieee and TIDAL, as well as the danger this code may have to unsuspecting Roon users.

This thread and others will be removed from view until this softwareā€™s status is made more clear and less dangerous.

8 Likes