Ropieee volume issue

Ok, so now you have no volume control what so ever?
And playing with the ‘enable volume control’ switch does not have any influence at all?

(and it’s clear what you want to achieve, I just want to know why you wanted to switch back to stable)

It’s really easy:

I disabled volume for Airplay. The effect is that I can not adjust any volume in Apple Music although it’s showing the volume bar, but when using it, it has zero effect. If I want to change volume in iTunes I use the volume control of Roon. If I pump up volume in Roon while playing over iTunes Volume goes up.

If you change setting to Volume Control Enabled, Roon defines the max volume and after that you may lower volume within iTunes, but you cannot pump it up within iTunes as Roon is working as the “master volume”. If you set Roon Volume 100% you have the full range in iTunes. If you set it to 50% you can jogle between 0-50% in iTunes.

@DanMtsn

I’ve updated a patch to beta, this time with both settings enabled. This is the last thing I can think of (without having the hardware to test it) that might solve it (partially).

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks

@Matthias_Canisius
this is exactly what I see, with the difference that even if I set the zone volume in Roon at max I still don’t have access to that max volume over Airplay which will still play at lower volume and the slightest change of the volume slider will change the volume by a lot.

I got the other thing as well but since this is for someone who is not using Roon, controlling volume via the Roon app is out of the question

Thanks Harry - I’ll try this again in the evening once I get back home.

Just tried it with HifiBerry OS. No issues there.

The way they imlemented it, is that you have kind of a master volume in Hifiberry (there is also a volume bar within the Hifiberry Interface). All programs that are running audio over Hifiberry can control this this master volume.

Meaning: If you pump up volume in iTunes over Airplay you also see volume going up in Roon. There is one volume for the whole system that can be triggered by the programs that currently send audio to the Hifiberry.

I think it would solve your problem, but you are locked in the hifiberry world…

this looks like what I was hoping for, thank you for testing that!

What would be the problem of being locked in the hifiberry world?

There is no problem. The products are great. The only thing I mean is, if you like the software but want to run a non-Hifiberry HAT that doesn’t work. Whereas Ropieee supports almost any relevant audio HAT…

If this is not your intend and you stick to the Hifiberry HATs you are good :wink:

right, I understand now.

I plan to use three Raspberry Pi devices around the house and I already ordered hifiberry hats for them so that shouldn’t be a problem for the time being :slight_smile:

Looks like you have your solution… Nevertheless if you check on the Ropieee beta I’d be happy to get your feedback!

will certainly check that later today

Tried the update in beta - nothing new to report

Can you send me another feedback?

33be544d16882663

I tried both options for Airplay volume control in the XL tab - no difference between the two

@spockfish
I have moved to hifiberry. Both the Airplay implementation and remote control work out of the box.
Harry, thank you for your help. If you’re still looking to solve this I won’t be able to help anymore since I don’t run Ropieee on any device anymore.

Hi, I also have a problem mentioned in this thread.

Configuration:
Hardware: iPhone, Raspberry Pi4 8Gb, Naim DAC-V1
Software: Ropieee XL, playing using Shairport Sync Shairport Sync has next configuration:
Audio output - USB
Volume control - Enabled
(I’m not using Roon)

Problem description:
I set volume on the dac to 30, then I can change sound volume only between “no sound” and “maximum (equal to 30 on the dac)” when I slide volume slider in Music app (Apple Music app) from left to the right. So I have only two options “no sound” and “maximum” (picture 2 and 3). Problem is that maximum volume turns on immediately after “no sound”, so I can’t change volume gradually. Further movement of the volume slider to the right has no influence on volume, it remains maximum (equal 30 on dac) (picture 4).

Is it possible to correct software in order it will be possible to increase volume gradually?

Thank you,
Ivan

Hi @spockfish and everyone, I also have the volume-control problems reported in this thread.

RopieeeXL volume works normally in Roon (RAAT), standalone. But the volume in AirPlay is attentuated, to wherever RAAT left it. (I’m using RopieeeXL on an Allo Boss setup. I use RAAT for music/roon audio, and AirPlay for my TV audio.)

So if I try to use AirPlay after using Roon (RAAT), I can’t hear anything. I have to switch back to Roon and maximize the volume - then Airplay is fine, and has normal volume control.

However, when if I switch back to Roon, the volume is now cranked to maximum. I have to quickly restore it, before it blasts music at ear-splitting volumes.

I love Ropieee and RopieeeXL, but this is quite cumbersome, It requires awkward tinkering whenever switching between Airplay and RAAT. I’m happy to report more details about my system, or try any updates in the beta channel that might help.

thanks

This a known issue and will take time to resolve.

Ok, I’m glad you’re still looking at it. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks Harry